• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Open Road Race...April 27, 2019

First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
Ed...we're not gonna get there till Fri evenin...& I believe any volunteer needs to be there either Thurs or Fri during the day for instruction/training of their specific duties....
It would be cool though

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

First Name
Wayland
Last Name
Cooksey
Has anyone every volunteered for working the race? Seems like it could be interesting per their post.
My brother lives in Sanderson, so he, and I and our other brother did volunteer for a couple of years as gate guards. That means you have to be at your assigned gate very early in the morning to make sure that no vehicles enter the course during the day. You have to make sure that you have plenty of food, water and sun protection. You will be there for the majority of the 12 hours. It was very interesting, and depending on which gate you draw, it can be a real spectacle. I know there are other volunteer opportunities, but I have had no experience with them.

I honestly prefer to just go to Sanderson for the day. You can watch the cars come across the finish line...usually at very high rates of speed. The sheriffs office traditionally radars them and call out their speed at the finish line. Then after the cars finish they park around the court house for lunch. You can walk around taking pictures and most of the drivers are very nice to visit with. After lunch you can go back to the line and watch them start their return run.

First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
Hey way-man....can you or your brother tell us the best spot to watch & how to get to it since 285 will be closed. Doesnt look like there are many ways to get to a good spot.

First Name
Stuart
My buddy shipped a Lotus Carlton from the UK to Galveston in late 2000 and then towed the car out to Vegas for the Silver State Classic. He entered the 160 mph class and came 2nd I think. He brought the car back to Katy and left it in my garage until he returned in April 2001 to do the same thing again in the 160 class and came 3rd. The winner of the open class that year was I believe an average speed of 198.9988 mph in an ex NASCAR Pontiac !! Even John Schneider in General Lee was there !!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP9Udy9Fgho9mB9xgmIsDvIoHvFnqSuQRHdS3zj

First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Mr2mch, you have a plan ironed out yet? anyone camping? I may head down and camp out/hang with ya'll. Trying to get a hall pass.

First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
Far as I kno rite now Ed.....4 of us leavin Waco on Thur 11am or so. Prob stay the nite in Sonora...then Fri & Sat nites in Sanderson. Only campin I saw listed was an RV park east end of town....We are at west end Desert Air motel. May be booked up already. 2 others from TWT are comin too.
Of course..the motel mite let ya pitch a tent??
EDIT: ..& evidently ..they will let ya pitch a tent on their property

Last edited:
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
I believe the Desert Air motel may be booked up...but I talked with Ruth at the Outback Oasis next door & she said they had about 6 rooms still available for Fri & Sat nites at similar prices in case anyone else is interested in going next week....but you should call & reserve soon
432-345-2850

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
I'm out. I just canceled my reservations at the Desert Air motel, so there should be a room available.

First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
Weather is lookin great.... Rain will be outta here late Wednesday ...early early Thurs at the latest. Winds are breezy...but not unbearable.... Time ta go