• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Open Road Race...April 27, 2019

Ed...we're not gonna get there till Fri evenin...& I believe any volunteer needs to be there either Thurs or Fri during the day for instruction/training of their specific duties....
It would be cool though

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Has anyone every volunteered for working the race? Seems like it could be interesting per their post.

My brother lives in Sanderson, so he, and I and our other brother did volunteer for a couple of years as gate guards. That means you have to be at your assigned gate very early in the morning to make sure that no vehicles enter the course during the day. You have to make sure that you have plenty of food, water and sun protection. You will be there for the majority of the 12 hours. It was very interesting, and depending on which gate you draw, it can be a real spectacle. I know there are other volunteer opportunities, but I have had no experience with them.

I honestly prefer to just go to Sanderson for the day. You can watch the cars come across the finish line...usually at very high rates of speed. The sheriffs office traditionally radars them and call out their speed at the finish line. Then after the cars finish they park around the court house for lunch. You can walk around taking pictures and most of the drivers are very nice to visit with. After lunch you can go back to the line and watch them start their return run.

Hey way-man....can you or your brother tell us the best spot to watch & how to get to it since 285 will be closed. Doesnt look like there are many ways to get to a good spot.

My buddy shipped a Lotus Carlton from the UK to Galveston in late 2000 and then towed the car out to Vegas for the Silver State Classic. He entered the 160 mph class and came 2nd I think. He brought the car back to Katy and left it in my garage until he returned in April 2001 to do the same thing again in the 160 class and came 3rd. The winner of the open class that year was I believe an average speed of 198.9988 mph in an ex NASCAR Pontiac !! Even John Schneider in General Lee was there !!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP9Udy9Fgho9mB9xgmIsDvIoHvFnqSuQRHdS3zj

Mr2mch, you have a plan ironed out yet? anyone camping? I may head down and camp out/hang with ya'll. Trying to get a hall pass.

Far as I kno rite now Ed.....4 of us leavin Waco on Thur 11am or so. Prob stay the nite in Sonora...then Fri & Sat nites in Sanderson. Only campin I saw listed was an RV park east end of town....We are at west end Desert Air motel. May be booked up already. 2 others from TWT are comin too.
Of course..the motel mite let ya pitch a tent??
EDIT: ..& evidently ..they will let ya pitch a tent on their property

Last edited:
I believe the Desert Air motel may be booked up...but I talked with Ruth at the Outback Oasis next door & she said they had about 6 rooms still available for Fri & Sat nites at similar prices in case anyone else is interested in going next week....but you should call & reserve soon
432-345-2850

I'm out. I just canceled my reservations at the Desert Air motel, so there should be a room available.

Weather is lookin great.... Rain will be outta here late Wednesday ...early early Thurs at the latest. Winds are breezy...but not unbearable.... Time ta go

For anyone lookin to go out to Sanderson for the race in the future... The better bet might be to stay in Ft Stockton instead.
We were unable to watch any of the cars at speed coming south....or takin off running north. All access to the start/finish line was blocked....and the only road intersections on US285 are too far away from Sanderson to get to easily.
Those roads ARE closer from Ft Stockton.

We were able to watch the racers go by from the Desert Air Motel tho....& walk around the Courthouse square where they were parked between the runs.

Also.....I should say....Sanderson has VERY LIMITED food choices...even during this race weekend. The Stripes became the go to spot for any food...??huh
We were lucky to meet Darrell who is opening a new eatery in town. Even tho we were stuck at the motel after "refreshments" ....he brought us a supper snack tray of meats cheeses & fruit
+ a huge pile of tasty tater salad....all GRATIS!!!.... HUGE THANX DARRELL
Hope your restaurant venture does well!!

I'll see if I can some pics from Golfpro...
I didnt take any at Sanderson

Dang. I wish I could have come. Next year perhaps. Did enjoy some tasty BBQ at Woodbutcher's bash though and talk to a bunch of nice TWT folks and neighbors.

So...I detoured over to Kerrville yesterday to stay another nite down in the hills before heddn home.
well..Looky here....
c85cb4e67894201f27827c7b7f373753.jpg

a4152401b03ec7b71c9c37a79e41ac1d.jpg

e799f6b5c84912d55d7c0fa9c2f9cce6.jpg

a6af7953695a47fe71c08a3a3308986c.jpg

The remnants of a Fiat rally this weekend
There were some cool 500s for sure
...but ..I missed most of the group....
Supposedly almost 40 cars
b5ffda635392dc52cc6f4ff0b05e610d.jpg

352a24cc892efa636bb4c01667494b73.jpg

8c27a484fc6bca6435c16bfb60f5d98c.jpg

& including a few of these....
124 Spiders
d84ce5f472dea1e5dde29f9239874522.jpg

I saw plates from LA.. OK...AZ...CA ..even IL

Yes...a fun weekend

Last edited:
As a former owner of a big block 5 speed (1.3L vs. 900cc) Suzuki Swift I bought new for $8K OTD and spun up 82000 trouble free miles on, I'm still attracted to small fuel efficient cars. My wife still resents me for buying her the beautiful new Swift, which her friends named "the spec". I wish the design department could have spent some more time on the body style though...

Back