• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Shakedown / Breakdowns

Sorry for the thread jack and thanks for the insight!!

Hope to see some more pics in this thread....

Day 6 -

With my buddies motorcycle down and out with a busted radiator, our plans for a scenic cruise down Pinto Canyon were put on hold. Rather than leave one of us behind to fend for themselves, we decided to do a little hiking and more beer drinking.

Day started off early for me, per usual this trip.

Climbed to the top of one of the hills near our camp to make some coffee and watch the sunrise

6sunrise_000001.jpg

Sunrise over Terlingua Abajo

6ft_07.jpg

My buddy owns a coffee shop in town and hooked me up with a bag of beans for the trip. Give them a once over if you like old bikes / hipsters :sun: http://flattrackcoffee.com/

With coffee out of the way, we took our time getting around and finally made it to the Basin around noon. My friends hadn't done the Lost Mine Trail, so I suggested we do it.

The Lost Mine Trail is a pretty easy hike. Just under five miles roundtrip, I think it offers some of the most rewarding views for minimal effort. That said, it can still be a dangerous hike. We passed a group of people helping a hiker down the mountain who had broke his leg in a fall. Nearly 3 hours later, we passed park rangers still trying to cart him off the mountain. Big Bend is no joke.

6mitch_lost_mine.jpg

safety first?

Had a memory card go bad, so I lost a few photos from the hike :angryfire

But life goes on.

We spent the rest of the day puttering around, flirting with park rangers, tossing rocks at old cans and watching the sunset. Which seemed to last an entire hour.

6IGglenn_springs_rd_05.jpg

6glenn_springs_rd_04.jpg

photo%203.jpg

Iphone 5s

6glenn_springs_rd.jpg

Nikon D4s

6glenn_springs_02.jpg

The colors out here were insane

6sunset_00000001.jpg

Another 'photos do no justice' photo

After one of the best sunsets of my life, we made like bandits to the hot springs. We had it to ourselves for a long while...

6hotsprings.jpg

Really wish I had a tripod for this one, but I just sat the camera on the ground.

We finished out the trip the next day with a trip to Balmorhea State Park a few short hours away. Riding through Fort Davis to get there, it was another little highlight of the trip. No photos of all the ice cream I ate on the way there :eat::eat:

photo%204.jpg

Balmorhea State Park

-
-
Apart from riding with friends I've known since elementary school and having never ridden in Big Bend, one of the reasons I wanted to do something semi remote and rugged was to get ready for the TWT ride to Mexico next month. I packed up the bike with everything I would need for 8 days (including food!) and put together a tool kit that got used every day. I learned a little bit about what else I need (soft bags) and what I can live without (nothing, i need everything:lol2:). I rode the KLR harder than I've ever ridden it and just about rode my old rear TKC80 bald.

This trip was beyond awesome, just need another swing to get to some of the areas we didn't get to explore. Thanks for following along

Well done :clap:

How did you pack the camera and what body/lenses did you have with you?

You are REALLY making me want to get back out there!

You are REALLY making me want to get back out there!

Well I got some desktop pics out of this thread. Thanks!

+1000!!!

texaspatrick: that last post of yours is so yummy I could hire a service out of Dallas to screen print any one of those photographs for art around my house.

Very, very well done sir :bow:

Thanks!
I had a D4s with a 70-200 and a 17-35.
Carried it all in the Wolfman Rainier tank bag that I modified with some Thinktank rolling case dividers to help with the vibrations/bumps. Didn't help much....

My favorite photos from the trip were mostly taken with the 70-200 and I used the 17-35 mostly on the wide end.

Thinking it might be time for a cheapy 18-200 so I won't have to swap lenses...

Still looking into a good & small handlebar mounted camera for super easy access...

+1000!!!

texaspatrick: that last post of yours is so yummy I could hire a service out of Dallas to screen print any one of those photographs for art around my house.

Very, very well done sir :bow:

I do sell prints if you're interested :trust:

Excellent pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing. I'll there this March 12th, first time ever. I can't wait!:rider:

Back