• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend

busric

Reaction score
Going to BB this coming weekend. This will be my first trip FINALLY! Taking the Vulcan 1500 this trip and hope there are plenty of sites to see while riding street. Any advice for rides and places to visit while down there would be great. Staying at Terlingua so will be down close to the west entrance and the river road.

Anyone else that might be going is welcome to PM me and I'll share my phone number.

Will be with a buddy who's from DFW area on his BMW and anyone else is totally welcome to share the ride. Especially if you have been there before lol.

Can't wait!

Ride every asphalt road in the park. You will ride most twice as they are dead end, unless your Vulcan does dirt well. :rider:
Make a trip down to Loma Linda, visit Stillwell.
Ride 170 to Presidio then 67 to Marfa.
Ride on up to Davis Mountains, do the loop and Observatory.

Have fun. :thumb:

Riding the park is painfully slow as the speed limit is 45 so be prepared and they like to have speed traps..................but with budget cuts it isn't as bad as previous years. The weather will be perfect this weekend have a blast.

I'm not built for speed anyway lol. A nice slow cruise will be nice. Having a wife who has not had a desire to ride since the 80's and is willing to ride again, I'll ride as slow as she desires. If this trip will get her back behind me again I'll be happy as a lark.

Thanks for the Ride suggestions Desert and texten, the budget cuts are always pointed at the ones doing the work as we all know. Upper group probably got a raise.

The weather is supposed to be perfect!!

Make sure to visit the porch and soak in some of the local color.

Busric, What day are you leaving, how long a trip and what route? I might be going out that way leaving Wednesday through Saturday. Not sure which way I would go..........from San Antonio I may go out IH10 to Fort Davis for the first night and then ride to the Observatory to Marfa, Presidio, River Road to Study Butte for the night. Next day ride the park and then come back on 90 and maybe spend then next night in Sanderson. On the other hand I may leave SA out 90 and ride it in reverse order. I've been doing this 4 day trip for many years and it works out good for me.....now being retired I take off whenever the weather is good. If I go I will be on black F6B.
I'm going to have to work on this with the wife since Friday is Vday.

Ride every asphalt road in the park. You will ride most twice as they are dead end, unless your Vulcan does dirt well. :rider:
Make a trip down to Loma Linda, visit Stillwell.
Ride 170 to Presidio then 67 to Marfa.
Ride on up to Davis Mountains, do the loop and Observatory.

All good suggestions. Are the deer more frisky this time of the year in BB or is the rutting season coming to an end?

....I sorta like 169 south of Marfa. That road turns into very hard packed dirt about half-way as you boogie your way to Ojinaga.

RB

All good suggestions. Are the deer more frisky this time of the year in BB or is the rutting season coming to an end?

....I sorta like 169 south of Marfa. That road turns into very hard packed dirt about half-way as you boogie your way to Ojinaga.

RB

I would only be concerned about dear on the mountain loop where you run at speed with lots of roadside cover.

169 is a good road but can be iffy in some areas where sand might be a bit of a surprise for a Vulcan two up.

Looks like this most of the way...

0240007-R1-045-21_800.jpg

But can look like this in a few spots in Feb, when these were taken...

16e08533.jpg

Color can be good this time of year too, same trip...

b3666f71.jpg

113_1335_800.jpg

Well, got knocked out once again. Not going now. Wife has alzheimers and things turned sour for her wanting to go. I am her only caregiver so I'm stuck. No regrets though after 43 years of marriage she comes first. I'm going to get one of her friends to take care of her in the near future and get this ride done.

Saving this thread for the great info and encouragement!

texten, it would have been great to have met you. Another day.

Rick

Sorry 'bout your wife's condition.
No worries, BB has been around a couple million years there will be a next time.

Back