• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

bigdon Rocks the COBDR

After Weston Pass Gene and Tom headed back to Buena Vista. It was great to ride with you again Gene and Tom. Don't change the sheets in my room. I'll be back in a year or so.

JP's group let me throw in with them. We continued on and up Hagerman Pass.

DSCF1023.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

These guys were having a blast in their Big Ford.

DSCF1025.jpg

Andy and I played in this water hole when we were here in July

DSCF0723-X2.jpg

Now some of us went around

DSCF1028.jpg

Some still had to splash through

DSCF1031.jpg

Beautiful up there

DSCF1033.jpg

My new friends liked it

DSCF1035.jpg

Then some nice fast dirt

DSCF1036.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

Scott , Yo, and I had split off from the other group. They were going to motel it and we were looking for a good camp site.
After arriving in Gypsum without finding a Campsite we slabbed it to Eagle and got a room where the other Two were staying.
It was a good call and we had an excellent Italian Restaurant within walking distance. I ate too much and didn't sleep well but it was really good!

After a long night in the Hotel suffering from the affects of Gluttonous Activity we hit the road to another glorious weather day.

DSCF1042.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1059.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

Awesome

DSCF1062.jpg

DSCF1064.jpg

DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

Yeah I know, I'm a regular Wordsmith !

Somewhere in here my Talent Tank ran low again and let gravity sneak up on me. I was coming up a pretty good hill on a very rutted road. The left track was suddenly cut off by a very deep rut . Rut Roh ! The rut on the right looked about two feet deep. The ditch on the Left was only six inches. Talk about a lack of commitment, instead of hitting the gas and going right across, I started to find a place to fall without breaking my leg.
I tipped over to the Left, pushed the bike across and proceeded on. Probably lost 5 or 6 Adventure points but I did not break a leg. Win!

DSCF1079.jpg

DSCF1081.jpg

DSCF1082.jpg

DSCF1083.jpg

Nice ride and great weather.

DSCF1084.jpg

It was Thursday afternoon and we lacked one more section to complete the COBDR. I really needed to get back to 3 Step Friday. Scott also needed to get back to his family. The rest of the guys had plenty more time. What to do, skip the last section, or ride on?

Ride ,of course!

DSCF1085.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1089.jpg

DSCF1091.jpg

DSCF1092.jpg

The last section was fast and we burned through it pretty quick. I have heard that it was boring but I thought it was very pretty and worth doing.

Score !

DSCF1093.jpg

DSCF1094.jpg

I left some ear plugs. Help yourself if you need them. Pay it forward I say.

DSCF1096.jpg

We finished the COBDR around 5 or 6 then hit the highway back West and South. Scott said he was going home( Las Vegas) and I needed to get back to 3 Step in Utah. Scott made it home about 3:30 am , he really wanted to be home.
I stopped in Meeker, Co for the night. When I pulled over to tell Scott I was stopping , I got off the bike to find my Left foot covered in Oil. CRAP !
I push the bike over to the side and lean it up against a building. It seems the inspection port on top of the stator cover had come out. Look it's still there. I screwed in back in checked the oil, all good ! Good Luck or are the Anti Hassle Tassels working overtime?

Not bad for Interstate

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

I turn off towards Moab on Hwy 128.

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

128 is a great road. I really enjoyed it. Lots of great scenery!

I opted for the new bridge

DSCF1109.jpg

DSCF1113.jpg

DSCF1120.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

Even though I was riding a DRZ on the pavement, it was a great ride and I was happy to be there!

128 is a great road. I really enjoyed it. Lots of great scenery!

I opted for the new bridge

DSCF1109.jpg

Hey 1.0, I know that road and that bridge. Here is what it looked like before some little turd playing with matches burnt it down.

Linky

IMG_5987_800.jpg

Here are a few more pictures from the 128 ride!

DSCF1130.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1147.jpg

DSCF1150.jpg

DSCF1151.jpg

DSCF1154.jpg

DSCF1156.jpg

Then on in to Moab to the Moab Dinner. I had a Green Chili Cheeseburger ( umm) then saddled up for the ride back to 3 Step.

I cooled my heels, had a couple of Beers, visited with some other riders over a great meal, then went to bed.

With sadness I left #Step Saturday morning about 6am and drove the 1060 miles back home. I made it tired but satisfied by about 11pm.

Great Trip! My hat is off to the BDR Guys. They do a great job finding ride able roads across the country. A lot of these roads are much less than county roads . Uncrowded One lane roads and trails. bigdon Likey!

Thanks for taking us along Don. :thumb:

When in 128, did you happen to see these ladders across the river? Local legend has it they are 500 yo Indian ladders. Don't know the truth behind it but thought it was interesting just the same.

IMG_5990_800-1.jpg

Thanks for taking us along Don. :thumb:

When in 128, did you happen to see these ladders across the river? Local legend has it they are 500 yo Indian ladders. Don't know the truth behind it but thought it was interesting just the same.

IMG_5990_800-1.jpg

No, I did not see them. Dang it! :lol2:

Too busy carving corners to look to the side weren't cha?
VroomVroom.gif

I'm always amazed at the diversity of the landscape in CO. They have everything up there; except beaches ;-). Great ride I will do someday. Maybe the loop of the COBDR and UTBDR.

Back