• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike for 12yr old girl

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Doughtie
My 12yr old daughter wants a bike to ride and I’m trying to figure out what kind to get. She’s 5’2” and growing. Would an XR100-200 work? What other models? Second problem is finding a used one in decent shape. Thanks.

Do you think she can handle a clutch?

If so, even an XR80R would work. I have one that I will ride when chasing my kids around on their bikes. My daughter tried riding it when she was around 9-10 and had trouble with the reach to the clutch/brake. I ended up buying her a CRF-110. It has no clutch and it is smaller overall in terms of seat height. She's 14 not and maybe 5' 1-2". She's pretty well outgrown the CRF110 just because it is a little cramped for her.

If you can find a nice old XR200, they are nice docile bikes that are easy to ride. Size wise, I think it would be great, as long as she can reach and operate the hand controls.

OldTLSDoug has a really nice Suzuki 80(?) he's been trying to sell.

I think she would outgrow an 80 pretty quick. She is a very quick learner and aggresive. She has a 31 inch inseam and growing.

You might think so, but the XR80R is a big bike frame wise even though it is only an 80cc. It has a good bit of get up and go without being scary. It hauls me around pretty good, but it is a little cramped for my 34" inseam. Might not hurt just to have her sit on a few.

The CRF150s are nice.

I was thinking about a crf 150 also. I found a crf 125 that’s in great shape. It looks like all of these type of bikes have close to the same seat height.

I was thinking about a crf 150 also. I found a crf 125 that’s in great shape. It looks like all of these type of bikes have close to the same seat height.

They do. You might think a bigger motor would mean a bigger bike or a smaller motor might mean a smaller bike, but that doesn't always seem to be the case. A bigger issue than leg room will be can she reach the clutch and front brake comfortably. My daughter was doing great on the XR80R, but she had a hard time reaching the front brake. During one exercise when I wanted her to pull in the clutch and stop, she rolled the throttle wide open when she tried to grab the brake :eek2: Of course, she dumped the clutch and let go of that side of the handle bar... Let's just say that having good gear on paid for itself :-P

TTR-125,
Small or “big wheel” version.
Great for all ages 10-100,
Cheap, parts plentiful and reliable. Has clutch but you can teach her in a few hours. I’ve taught a dozen friends of the daughters and nephews. Low seat height too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTR125 good choice (you can find them fairly cheap so if sh out grows it there easy to sell also)
And you can get in e-start which might be good for beginner.

That crf150 might be a bit aggressive to start out on. But would be a great second bike!

Are the TTR 125's larger in frame size than the 110's? I have a TTR110 and my daughter has about outgrown it in terms of leg room. It still works for my son, who is 12. But, it won't be long before he's ready for something a little bigger.

Yes the 125 is larger frame size than the 110. The 125 is similar to xr80, xr100, or crf150f.

Yes the 125 is larger frame size than the 110. The 125 is similar to xr80, xr100, or crf150f.

That would be perfect. If Sarah decides she wants to keep riding, then it will be on the XR80R and she'll have to learn to deal with the clutch.

Are the TTR 125's larger in frame size than the 110's? I have a TTR110 and my daughter has about outgrown it in terms of leg room. It still works for my son, who is 12. But, it won't be long before he's ready for something a little bigger.
Ttr 125 is between the size of a crf150-230 if I remember correctly. It's way bigger than a 110

That crf150 might be a bit aggressive to start out on. But would be a great second bike!

Depends on if it's a crf150f of a crf150r

Klx140 is an option also.. they have 3 different versions with different wheel sizes, up to a full 21/18 wheel set for the 140g.

Back