• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike Recommendations - 350/400 Enduro

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for a medium sized enduro with fuel injection. We spend a lot of the summer in New Mexico and Colorado so I need a bike that can run here in Texas and at high altitude without having to mess with carb jetting. I see Honda and KTM both make 350 or 400 with fuel injection. Are there any others out there? I already take a V-Strom 650 for on-road and smooth dirt road riding, but would like to explore some roads I'm not comfortable taking taking that bike over.

Here ya go,

Always very well cared for. Has the FI. Runs fantastic. I've ridden it in Colorado and it was a hoot. Is a blast on short stretches of twisty pavement, but you don't want to do long miles on pavement at highway speeds. For SW Colorado, where we were, it is great. I was riding my KTM 530 EXC on that same trip. I also got to ride a KTM 690 Enduro, and it did great even on some nasty two track. But, it is also nice on the pavement. I rode it coming down CO 145 from Telluride and had LOADS of fun on it. It would be a bit of a handful on something like Black Bear Pass or the lower portion of Engineer Pass where it drops you out on US 550 if you are not an above average rider. I rode it over Bolam Pass and it was like a cushy Caddilac compared to my 530 :lol2: The 450 went through all that easily. His son took it on some single track stuff with a few of the other riders (@_RG_ and @kubotamiketx ) while we took the easier route to the top of Bolam Pass.

Reactions: JMZ
A properly jetted bike will run anywhere , my 07 450 exc was good from sea levar tp 12,000 plus with nothing more than ideal speed adjustment . That was with stock jets and needle lifted two notches and still had enough guts to double the terrace jumps on a mountian trail . Same thing these days , 450 Beta RR has been to 10,500 with nothing more than idle speed resets .

A properly jetted bike will run anywhere , my 07 450 exc was good from sea levar tp 12,000 plus with nothing more than ideal speed adjustment . That was with stock jets and needle lifted two notches and still had enough guts to double the terrace jumps on a mountian trail . Same thing these days , 450 Beta RR has been to 10,500 with nothing more than idle speed resets .

With my 530, I don't HAVE to rejet for higher altitudes, but it makes a big difference if I do. It just runs better and has more "snap" when I get on the gas. I did all the passes around Ouray on my KLR 650 with stock jetting. It did okay, but I had to keep the revs up in the slower stuff and couldn't lug it like I might at lower altitudes. The biggest thing for me is keeping the carbs de-gunked if they sit. I've used fuel stabilizer. I've drained them. Yet they always seem to need to be cleaned after a long sit. I get tired of having to pull it all apart and put it back together again. I've never had those issues with any of the FI bikes I've had.

Not to argue but running and running well are not the same. I guess it depends on where and how you are riding.

I always re-jetted my KTM 450 XC-W for Colorado riding of tough single track between 9K and 13K feet. It probably would have ran if I didn't, but dropping a 10% leaner pilot and main jet in there took 20 minutes and it really ran a bunch better. If I was just doing jeep roads and passes, it might not have mattered and I might not have done it.

Regardless...I do like the FI bikes now. Plus...you get.like 60 mpg in the mountains on a FI bike as it leans out the fuel perfectly.

I had a similar need last year, after taking honest assessment of needs at this point in life (older, slower, no longer racing), now have '19 Beta 390rrs. Fuel injection, e-start long stroke, street legal. Credit the bike for one of the most enjoyable rides ever-Rubber Chicken Rally NM. Also great on 2 track at club's lease (450/500 harder to ride on tight trails), good on pavement within reason-not as comfortable as my BMWs but not bad with Seat Concepts seat.

Definitely can’t go wrong with Beta. QUALITY... And ready to go out of the crate...

I had a similar need last year, after taking honest assessment of needs at this point in life (older, slower, no longer racing), now have '19 Beta 390rrs. Fuel injection, e-start long stroke, street legal. Credit the bike for one of the most enjoyable rides ever-Rubber Chicken Rally NM. Also great on 2 track at club's lease (450/500 harder to ride on tight trails), good on pavement within reason-not as comfortable as my BMWs but not bad with Seat Concepts seat.

That Beta 390RRS is one sweet ride. Rode one at the Beta ride day. The KYB forks are super plush.

Italy, starting to get a real foothold here.

I switched from my 690 to my KTM 350 for my dual sport all around bike. The 350 has plenty of power at altitude and much easier to handle tight singletrack than 690.

Ditto on the prior comments on the Beta 390. After riding on at Beta test days, I was amazed at how light it felt; much lighter than my 350. The 390 will probably be my next all around bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for Rogers 450 XCW. Nice bike and a nice seller. I bought my 500 because I wanted one bike to do everything from hidden falls single track to all day dual sport gravel road type riding and it fits the bill.

Take a look at the sherco 300 4 stroke, hosted a demo day recently and it's an amazing bike

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Xx

Whaaaaat ? Sherco 300 4stroke. I was unaware but seriously interested. Finding a dealer?
Not sure where you are located but San Marcos motorcycles is a beta sherco dealer.

I'm curious why you would buy one of the non-mainstream bikes with limited dealer support and 8 year old technology for $10K when you can buy an up to date bike from a well-known manufacturer for $12K.

Are you comparing Beta/Sherco to KTM/Honda? The Beta dealer is closer than KTM dealer, we do have Honda dealer here. The 8 year old technology- are you referring to when Beta was using KTM engines? Bottom line, after considerable research, 60 hours on bike-very satisfied. This is my first 4 stroke after years of riding and racing 2 strokes, so the key factors were smooth power(no need to replace ecu), comfort for long rides-suspension, handling and lack of vibration compared to competition.

Beware of the Sherco 300 2 smoker. Its a new bike and there have been a lot of issues. I'd give them some time. One guy had his catch fire. Funny story.

Beware of the Sherco 300 2 smoker. Its a new bike and there have been a lot of issues. I'd give them some time. One guy had his catch fire. Funny story.
Do you have more info on this?

Back