• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike run but doesn't rev pass five grand

Reaction score
Have a Suzuki bandit 1250 runs but when you go through the gears does not rev pass five grand. Thought it may be some bad gas put new gas in and fuel injection cleaner no change.

Have a Suzuki bandit 1250 runs but when you go through the gears does not rev pass five grand. Thought it may be some bad gas put new gas in and fuel injection cleaner no change.
We need more background info. Did the bike run just fine and you put it in storage for a long time, like a year or more and now its doing this? Just FYI I went and bought the battery operated wand style gas tank pump from Harbor Freight. Home Depot also carries it. Its good for draining the tanks on toys like lawnmowers, bikes and such. It works very well. I ALWAYS drain the gas from the tanks of anything that has been sitting for more than 6 months, and put in new Super Unleaded. Gas starts to go south after 6 months of sitting here in Houston, with our high heat and humidity. Its so easy to do with the gas pump wand. I drain it into a jug and then put it in my truck when I do a full 20+ gallon fillup or use it on the ant beds in my lawn.

here is the link.

I had a Honda which I sold some years ago, full injected, mint condition, only 7k miles or so and I let it set in the garage for about 6 months. When I ran it, it ran just fine but would sputter and cut out if I gunned it to high RPMs, and sure enough I found out right when I was gunning it onto the highway and it died on me entering traffic, practically a new bike, almost got me hurt because of bad electronics.

It drove me up the wall trying to figure it out, no computer codes, or the wrong codes would happen. It turned out, that after it had sit under a tarp with the high humidity in Houston, the sweating under the tarp, caused water to build up inside the plug boots, and the boots were arcing internally, and you could hear it also. I mistook it for valve slack, and did a valve adjustment, and the noise was still there. Also replaced two sensors prior to that, MAF and Pulse Generator, still died.

In the end, this actually turned out to be a recall item from Honda, and a known problem. It took 6 months of posting online to Honda forums, and talking with dealers. Honda ended up selling me the new replacement plug boots which were an improved design for $30 for 2 boots. They would not honor their recall notice, because they said it expired.

Hi. My 2007 model did the same, as did my friend's 2008 model. Both started around 50-60 000 km ( about 40 000 miles). It's a very common problem, and will happen to everyone eventually. Try this fix instead of forking out the 500 plus bucks for the whole fuel pump assembly..

Buy a big can of carbie cleaner and a new fuel sock off Ebay or whatever. Hit the screen with the wire and carbie cleaner for a while. It gums up even though it looks clean. I generally did it at least 50-60 times. I never replaced the tank O-ring in either case and it was fine. I did use a little Permatex aviation sealer or Hylomar non drying gasket sealer though.

Hi. My 2007 model did the same, as did my friend's 2008 model. Both started around 50-60 000 km ( about 40 000 miles). It's a very common problem, and will happen to everyone eventually. Try this fix instead of forking out the 500 plus bucks for the whole fuel pump assembly..

Buy a big can of carbie cleaner and a new fuel sock off Ebay or whatever. Hit the screen with the wire and carbie cleaner for a while. It gums up even though it looks clean. I generally did it at least 50-60 times. I never replaced the tank O-ring in either case and it was fine. I did use a little Permatex aviation sealer or Hylomar non drying gasket sealer though.

Came here to post this exact advice. MY 2009 with only ~13,000 miles had this problem also.

When I cleaned the pump screen there was visible black 'bits' coming out. Basically what looked like dirt. I had ot clean and disassemble mine twice before it was fixed. It's been trouble free for several thousand miles since.

I have an AFR gauge on the bars and when it was acting up it was going from 13-14 AFR to 16-18+ AFR. Definitely a fuel starvation issue which led me to the aforementioned pump screen walkthrough.

Back