• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike won't start, seeking towing assistance [F650GS in Austin]

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
I need to get my bike to Cuznbob's. I don't have a truck or trailer so I'm seeking help from you guys. I do have a Class III 2" hitch on my vehicle, so a loaner trailer would also work for me although I've never used one. I live near 183 & MLK in east Austin and Cuznbob's is located on Metric >10 miles from my house. I'll buy you lunch or beer or reimburse you however you choose. Thanks!

If you have towing added to your insurance policy that might be a solution.
Trailer rentals from uhaul are also very reasonable for 1 day local rents. Around $25.

If I lived closer I would help you. Home Depot rents by the hour. Hope you get it to Bob's, who is an honorable and very good repair shop.

Thanks for the response. I did ask Robert if he has towing services and he does not. I'm looking into the rental options mentioned. The Uhaul motorcycle trailer seems like my best option so far. I still need to install a hitch ball and learn how to tie down a bike on a trailer.

Uhaul can set up your trailer with the ball mount of the correct drop. I just checked their website and their prices are not far off from big box stores so if you are not familiar or comfortable making a selection, let them help you. They will set it up to the correct height for their trailers.

Tying the bike in is best done with ratchet straps. There is plenty of info around the net, even within twtex.

Thanks again for the info and looking into this for me. I've never towed anything before. I only use my hitch to carry a bike rack. Guess it's time to install a wiring harness.

Would suggest now would be a good time for getting familiar with the process of towing and tie down when your not forced to do it broke down on the side of the road.

These are a set of four and plenty strong and at $20 the right price. I use them every month to trailer to the hill country. Also one 9f those things that have multiple applications

Having to buy the hitch, the ball, straps and wiring for 9 miles, is crazy!
There should be someone nearby that can help for sure!

Reactions: JMZ
For future reference, you canJoin the AMA. Free towing of all your vehicles up to 35 miles I believe.. Not to mention the other perks.
This forum is great, obviously, but it is always wise to have a backup plan.

S O B, I just checked my state farm on my strom and noticed I don't have towing! Seem to me it's like $2 per month but not sure. Need to change that

S O B, I just checked my state farm on my strom and noticed I don't have towing! Seem to me it's like $2 per month but not sure. Need to change that

Man you must pay a small fortune for ins at state farm, my agent of 30 years said go some where else state farm whats to much for motorcycle ins.

Aaron

Man you must pay a small fortune for ins at state farm, my agent of 30 years said go some where else state farm whats to much for motorcycle ins.

Aaron
found out today i have "comprehensive" coverage on the bike and towing is included. I really dont want to get into a insurance conversation here but i have 1000 deductible and pay $100.19/ six months. hopefully not getting ripped too much.

Also depends on age , driving record etc.

Do you have someone to help you yet ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back