• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bikes you've sold and HAVE NOT regretted...

I’ve never regretted selling a bike. In fact, I have regretted buying almost every bike I’ve owned. That’s not to say I didn’t like them, just that they weren’t really what I wanted or what I thought they would be.

2011 KLR650... cheap to ride but constantly breaking in some way. Huge lack of power and too heavy for what it offered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Me & a bunch of other folks are sure glad ya'll sold your Stroms.......while they may have been wrong for ya'll ....they have sure been right for us.....& at the right price

Oh I totally agree. I know there are folks that absolutely love the Vstroms. I am totally happy for them! :thumb: It is the same with the 1000s. I had heard so much awesome stuff about them and then I got to ride one while up in Arkansas on a great road. I was totally NOT impressed. However, there are tons of people that love them! I love the BMW GSs. Some folks don't care for them. Oh well... To each his own! :thumb:

1986 VN750. It was the only Kawasaki I've ever owned that constantly experienced electrical gremlins. It was always something different; fix one problem and another emerged. I managed to get my money out of it and have never owned another one since.

I had a 2002 Honda VFR that gave me nothing but trouble. VTEC issues, electrical issues, fouling spark plugs, cooling issues, you name it. I drive by the apartment complex that the buyer lives in every day, and breathe a sigh that it isn't my problem anymore.

My 97 VFR is the biggest regret sale I have.

6th gear on the FJR is overrated. That engine had enough torque to not need a 6th gear. To add it was a solution looking for a problem.

The bike I don't regret selling?

BMW F800ST. One of the only bikes that ever left me stranded on the side of the road. not once but twice. The first time I was rescued by a good Samaritan infront of the house I broke down in front of as well as Beemerlessbob who was on the way to rescue me. The second time my roommate came and rescued me with jumpercables to limp me back home. Both times can be laid a the feet of the charging system which as time went on was a proven problem with the F series bike's stator setup which of course BMW claimed was not a problem but at the same time introduced new part numbers to fix the "not a problem". I loved both the BMWs I had but their customer service sucked unless you have a heavy wallet and don't care about the 1000 dollars per fix cost. The F series belt drive bike also had a problem with the "final drive" belt drive system. The chain drive GS bikes were fine but the other F series bikes would eat rear wheel and belt pulley bearings for breakfast because the factory manual speced a belt tension that was far too tight.

which as time went on was a proven problem with the F series bike's stator setup which of course BMW claimed was not a problem but at the same time introduced new part numbers to fix the "not a problem".

Classic BMW. Never admit there is a problem, but brag about the newly designed parts that solve the problem (hopefully)... :roll:

I owned one bmw or kinda ended up with one , rode it around the driveway a few times and made money on it when I sold it . Overall I was happy with my experience. Since I didn’t ride it nothing failed while I owned it . One more Honda to make go away and I’ll be happy again . My fleet is in pretty good shape right now , 5 Cagiva Gran Canyons , 3 in running and good condition, 2 950 KTMs one in good shape and running and one parts bike and the 450 Beta that just sits there ready to go anytime I want to .

I've always had a fondness for the Kawasaki brand (still have my one owner 1974 H1 500 triple) but the 09 Concours absolutely cooked me with engine heat at anything above 85 degrees. And it wasn't just idling through traffic but in all riding conditions in warm temps. And yes, I performed ALL of the forum fixes (and some I invented myself) to lesson the issue and none were a true fix - just a bad fairing design that didn't allow enough engine heat venting. I was glad to see it sold to a rider that lived north of Texas. The 2010 models and newer have solved this issue and one day I might give it another try if I decide to go back to a sporttourer.

85 V45 Magna. Worst bike ever!

It never fit me right. I always felt like a gorilla on a football when I rode it, and I'm 6' and 190 lbs. ( I was even lighter then! )

Very low power. Unreliable. Soft cams. Sucked down the #3 exhaust valve.

I sold it non running for $300, and was glad to see it go.

2011 Kawasaki Versys 650 - by far, the worst bike I have ever bought!

2009 HD Sporster 883 Iron,

2018 BMW R NineT Urban GS

I've had my share of breakdowns riding my vintage bikes but there has never been any expectation of going any serious miles without a problem. But the fixes have been super easy. Last one was a battery that could not hold a charge and lost fire on one cylinder even at high rpms. $30, battery and acid delivered. Exhaust brackets fail, bailing wire. CT90 carb plugged, remove bowl, clean jet.

I'll soon have to give up the old SL and the ct90s. Vibration and clutching hurting my hands. But it's not like I wished I'd never bought them. It's all good.

Just curious. What all did you dislike about the Versys?`

The riding position was the main problem. I tried several things but the ergos just didn't fit me at all. My neck was hurting all the time. I also felt like the bike tried to be things it wasn't. At times I felt it was close to a Supermotard but its weight would help me remember it wasn't. It would also run out of power very quickly and left me wanting for more. It wasn't a satisfying ride. It was a mediocre naked bike with soft suspension. My 2011 was heavily discounted when I bought it in early 2012 and, even then, I lost quite a bit of money when I sold it.

Back