• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Bear

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

That is cool, looks like they are working below the narrow section. No small feat getting that big equipment up there. I wonder how they would get above if they had too. I was surprised at all the traffic when we rode it last year.

Looks like they're widening that first tight switchback where jeeps have such fun turning. Yeah, last year was insane... never seen so much hubbub before on the bear.

I was amazed at the number of the clueless hip sweater wearing yuppies walking around in the middle of the road... :doh:

What about that young kid on the mountain bike, he was doing great...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for sharing this, almost deserves a dedicated thread. Reminds us that we all need to conduct ourselves responsibly in the back country, sometimes people do live there...

So common. Those that moved there first want to keep others out to preserve what attracted them there in the beginning. The city of Montgomery went through the same battle as Conroe expanded West along Hwy 105 (and the anti-development folks lost). It has to be frustrating to be sure to see what you like ruined by more people arriving. that said, the frustration doesn't give you the right to exclude people from the area, only your own property.

I am not a fan of permitting because those places are paid for with state and federal tax dollars. It's right up there with the toll roads built with tax dollars.

The people are going to keep coming. Find a way to profit from them and use that profit to improve things. Ultimately though, if the original folks don't like the new crowds, they can always move. Being there first doesn't give them some special right to the place unless they actually own the land. They could form some kind of corporation that buys up property and then controls access like a private park, but that would not keep people off the public roads.

I agree Mike. It is a shame that so many people just lack even a basic respect for other people and their property.

Marble is a dinky little clearing in the woods along that stream with the crystal mill on it. And yes, there are beautiful pieces of quarried marble laying around everywhere. Last time I was there they had school buses parked down below with lines of little kids walking up to the mill. That entire stretch between Crested Butte and marble is off the charts scenic. The quad thing isn't limited to that area at all. This year I'm seeing a few jeeps, a handful of motorcycles and a whole bunch of quads. They're all over the mountains.

This year I'm seeing a few jeeps, a handful of motorcycles and a whole bunch of quads. They're all over the mountains.

That was my impression last summer when we were up there. Quads everywhere! There were big long lines of them. I suspect the rental places prefer to rent those than Jeeps because they are cheaper to buy, cheaper to rent to more people renting, more resistant to damage than the jeeps, and so on. Moab has become the same way, swamped with all manner of quads.

I guess the amazing thing is that this doeskin happen more often, hope everyone comes out safe, including the rescue members.

Bummer... Sounds like a guy that it would have been fun to know. :zen:

I have to wonder why he had been to every state in the country except Arkansas though :-P

Back