• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Black Friday Getaway Ride

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Anyone other than Woodsguy interested in meeting at the Smileys Shell Station on the North side of Huntsville at the intersection of FMs 980 and 247 to ride out with me? If not, I will just be leaving directly from my home.

I was planning to meet there at 8:45-9:00am.

The weather looks great, we are officially a go for the ride. See y'all tomorrow!

Oh, and for those camping with me, pack your cold weather gear! Overnight low in the upper 40's expected.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Anyone other than Woodsguy interested in meeting at the Smileys Shell Station on the North side of Huntsville at the intersection of FMs 980 and 247 to ride out with me? If not, I will just be leaving directly from my home.

I was planning to meet there at 8:45-9:00am.
Rsquared is thinking, I'm still on the fence, Ive used way too many kitchen passes this week and hoping to offroad Saturday. :giveup:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Rsquared is thinking, I'm still on the fence, Ive used way too many kitchen passes this week and hoping to offroad Saturday. :giveup:
I'll be at the Smiley's long enough to get gas in the morning. If I don't see anyone else by 9:00am, I am heading out. Hope you guys can make it. You know it will be FUN! :-P

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Here's my planned route for anyone interested in meeting up with me and heading back late Friday afternoon. Just over 200 miles. Should be back in Huntsville before 5:00pm.

Attachments

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab As usual, the sand before Pennington was a real hoot!! Daniel wanted to call Beth right after that to tell her we CRASHED TWICE!! I suggested he rethink his choice of words and that she'd prefer to hear about it in person :lol2: We merely tipped over at almost a complete stop twice :-P That set of double 90s is always fun. I don't know why, but the corner closest to the old school building is the one that always gets folks, regardless of which way we are going. It really helps to be the first rider through before all the other riders create ruts going every which way and end up in the ditches on both sides of the road! :doh: We had a blast :flip:

Yep, it was lots of fun! I enjoyed meeting you guys and seeing the improvements that I made from my first ride, and I appreciate the advice I received. I talked to Adam yesterday. He said most of the video from Friday wound up being garbage, but most of day 2 contained good footage. He said to give him a couple weeks and he’ll send me a link to the vid to share with you guys. Any of you guys that took the time to take some pics, post them up! I plan to hit the trails again as soon as I get the forks rebuilt!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Okay...

Chris - DR 650
Adam - AT 1000
Greg - DR650?
Ian - DR650
Lance - 800GS
Danny - 500EXC

Did I get all those right or miss anyone?

https://youtu.be/WooS-JGQy0Y

Here’s the short vid from the ride. As stated earlier, Adam said all of day 1 footage was unusable. Vid starts with us riding out of camp day 2. He will probably put together a longer video (around 15 min) tomorrow for anyone that wants to see extra footage.

Maybe change the name to Goldilocks ride instead of Black Friday ride . LOL.
If you enjoy riding in 95+ degree heat and getting to sleep in 80+ degrees with ridiculous humidity, knock yourself out. I don't. I'll be waiting until at least October to consider doing a ride like this again. Keep in mind this ride happened Iast November.

Last edited:

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
If you enjoy riding in 95+ degree heat and getting to sleep in 80+ degrees with ridiculous humidity, knock yourself out. I don't. I'll be waiting until at least October to consider doing a ride like this again. Keep in mind this ride happened Iast November.
2 words, HOTEL CAMPING

Wm...are you doing the tx500 to junction nov 2-4 ?

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
Hotels are comparatively expensive, but a decent solution.

I won't be able to say about that ride in November until we're a bit closer.
definitely worth the expense on these big overnight off pavement rides after 250 miles. i think that room i got for this is $53 final cost.

Hope you can make it, seems like a lot of folks are.

Well guys, I figure this is a good a place to post it as any. I'm fine riding for the year. DR is totaled. I'll mend. Looking at going lighter for my next bike. 99% sure it'll be a Beta 500RR-S. Looking forward to breaking it in with y'all next year!

Well guys, I figure this is a good a place to post it as any. I'm fine riding for the year. DR is totaled. I'll mend. Looking at going lighter for my next bike. 99% sure it'll be a Beta 500RR-S. Looking forward to breaking it in with y'all next year!
What happened? Hope you're OK! On the new bike, I highly recommend a KTM 500 EXC-F dual sport! I have a 2018 & it is hands down the best bike I have ever owned & parts are much easier to find than Beta parts.

Thanks guys. I'm healing fine. Reinjured my foot, broke a shoulder blade, bruised a knee, and broke a tooth. Oral surgery next Monday for the broken tooth and my wisdom teeth. I'll be really down for a few days after that. Long term everything is looking really good though. Pain is manageable, should get better as the bruises heal. No surgeries to fix bones, it's all going to heal fine.

I really appreciate the well wishes and I can't wait to get back out riding with you guys!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
If I can get my garage back together so I can work on my bikes, and then get the work done that needs to be done, maybe :-P

I need to replace wheel and steering head bearings on the 530. I also need to figure out why the valve cover gasket was leaking oil pretty bad the last time I started the bike.

If I can't get the 530 up and running in time, I might take the GS. If I take a kid with me my chances of being able to get out for a ride go up considerably :-P

Sorry to hear this but glad your injuries not so serious and you're healing. What happened? Street accident?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this but glad your injuries not so serious and you're healing. What happened? Street accident?

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Yep. I went out chasing sport bikes on the DR instead of riding alone. Won't make that mistake again. Didn't make a corner on 3090 because I was watching the guy in front and not my speedo. Bike hit a tree, I didn't. Frame is bent. RIP DR.