• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: Black Friday Ride in East Texas - It's a go.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
I expect to have the day off on Black Friday. I want NOTHING to do with going shopping anywhere on that particular day. Sooo...

This will be a mix of pavement and dirt. As of right now, the weather looks to be good... but this is Texas :wary: I will be on my 1200 GS and likely have my 13 year old son as a passenger, so I won't be trying anything too crazy. Ride length is generally 200-250 miles depending on the exact route which may change on the fly. I generally leave Huntsville at 9:00am and finish up around 5:00pm-ish. We usually stop for lunch somewhere along the way if I think about it, but it wouldn't hurt to pack a few snacks in case we don't stop.

WHEN:
November 29th
KSU 9:00am

WHERE:
Meet location will be the Smiley's Shell station at the intersection of FMs 247 and 980 on the North side of Huntsville. They have indoor seating and a full grill that does breakfasts.

IF you need a place to park a truck/trailer, there is a park and ride lot on the corner of FMs 247 and 2821. This is less than a quarter mile from the Smiley's.[/B][/B]

Last edited:
I am interested. To heck with Black Friday the open road beckons.
Scott's rides are always great. (hope it is not freezing)
I remember the last time I met you up there it was real cold with a north wind blowing, so going up 45 early in the moring I tucked in behind a semi to block the ice cold wind. He figured out I was there and changed lanes real quick to shake me off. I changed to another semi and he did the same, happened even with a box truck.
So I just headed into the wind and froze like a pop sickle. Not sure why it bothered them, if I hit the back of their truck it would be like a bug on the windshield.

Wish the launch point wasn't 4 hours away.

Don't be hating on the cool kids.

Most of your mileage might be getting here and home before and after the ride. However, there will be plenty of places to peel off and head home during the ride.

By the way, there is a park and ride lot less than a 1/4 mile from the start/end location where people can park trucks/trailers. It is at the intersection of FM 247 and FM 2821. The start location is just up and over the hill on FM 247 at the Smiley's Shell Station at the intersection of FMs 247/980.

Sounds awesome but the wife has the day planned for me. Scott can you send me your GPX track for this ride? I picked up a used BMW Navi V that supports the GPX tracks now and want to have some rides loaded for when I get free.

Weather is looking iffy... However, the chance for rain on Friday has dropped from 80% to 40%, so at least it is moving the right direction. I will make a final call Thursday evening. So be sure to check here before heading out!

My back tire is about toast so no gravel this time for me. I’ll meet you guys at the shell station and try to figure out where lunch might be and meet up there. Weather permitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My back tire is about toast so no gravel this time for me. I’ll meet you guys at the shell station and try to figure out where lunch might be and meet up there. Weather permitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe Mallet Bros in Iola again :eat:

What kind of dirt are you talking about? You've seen the v-twin but she ain't afraid of some hard pack.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

What kind of dirt are you talking about? You've seen the v-twin but she ain't afraid of some hard pack.....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Unpaved county and forest roads with the possibility of a few patches of sand. However, if there is any rain, the sand will be nicely packed. Mud is only an issue in a few spots usually, and unless it is raining while we are riding, it can usually be avoided. Basically, I am going to check the radar the night before. IF there is a line of storms coming, I won't go. If it is just the chance of scattered showers, I'll go. There are LOTs of places on the route to bail out and be back in Huntsville quickly if things start to get iffy...

My new tires came in so I’ll be putting them on (using a trained professional) at 9am. I’ll watch the thread and try for lunch wherever that ends up. Might try some gravel after lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My new tires came in so I’ll be putting them on (using a trained professional) at 9am. I’ll watch the thread and try for lunch wherever that ends up. Might try some gravel after lunch.

I will likely run the same route we did the last time you came and rode with us.

Things are looking good for me but if I do not show up do not wait for me.

Weather is still improving. Highs in the low 70s and down to a 20% chance of showers!

I went out to rebalance my front tire because I was getting some bad vibes after recently installing a new tire.

That fixed, I noticed what looked like dirt in my rear tire tread... it was a rusty nail head in my relatively new rear tire. Time to practice my plugging skills!

Good thing I spotted it here in he garage instead of the middle of nowhere tomorrow :thumb:

So far so good.
MY tire i replaced is holding air.
Hope to see you in the morning.

The rear on my DR is needing replacement though I did ride Old Ore Rd two days ago. The bike is still in the trailer, will unload tomorrow sometime. One of these days I'll get a ride in with you.

Back