• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blazing Saddles - a hot ride in Mexico

Reluctantly Going Home

Sunday morning was beautiful. There were just a few clouds in the sky and the temperature was pleasantly in the high 60s. The weather app on my phone was predicting a chance of afternoon rain showers, which was no surprise - that had been the weather prediction every day of this trip.

Our plan today was to ride north on the Gold Standard route and then head east for McAllen. With a little luck we would be back in Texas before the sun set today. If we ran into issues we were prepared to stay another night in Mexico.

We wanted to get a somewhat early start so we decided to ride an hour north to Rayones and grab breakfast there.

A last view looking back toward Galeana
MexTrek-254-L.jpg

Milton knew of a fine little restaurant in Rayones, so that's where we went. I was surprised to see a couple on a R1200GS when we arrived. Then, during breakfast a number of other riders showed up. They were riders from Monterrey out for a Sunday ride and this restaurant was one of their normal ride-to-eat destinations.
MexTrek-256-L.jpg

The owner and his wife.
MexTrek-257-L.jpg

After breakfast we rode north toward Las Truncas and the turn-off for The Gold Standard route. As was my habit I stopped frequently to grab a picture here and there.
MexTrek-259-L.jpg

Cabanas are a popular lodging option in this area. These particular cabanas are owned by the guy who owns the restaurant in Rayones.
MexTrek-261-L.jpg

The views never fail to satisfy.
MexTrek-262-L.jpg

In Las Truncas we stopped to take a short break. Three young locals swimming in the river decided we were more interesting than swimming and decided to hang out with us. With a little urging we were able to get them to sing a song for us. Very cool.
MexTrek-263-L.jpg

MexTrek-265-L.jpg

MexTrek-267-L.jpg

Shortly after leaving Las Truncas, we began the climb up the mountains. The Gold Standard is a fantastic dirt road that goes up and over the mountains to Mesa de Oso and then on to Laguna de Sanchez.
MexTrek-268-L.jpg

MexTrek-269-L.jpg

MexTrek-270-L.jpg

Yes, the road really is that steep in some areas.
MexTrek-274-L.jpg

MexTrek-279-L.jpg

MexTrek-278-L.jpg

Once over the top we were treated to a magnificent view of the tops of the mountains above the clouds and the clouds sweeping into a valley between two peaks. A Kodak moment if there ever was one. :sun: Even the non-picture takers stopped and took a picture.

MexTrek-280-L.jpg

MexTrek-284-L.jpg

MexTrek-285-L.jpg

After that the road became an easy class 1 but the views were wonderful.
MexTrek-289-L.jpg

MexTrek-291-L.jpg

MexTrek-294-L.jpg

MexTrek-296-L.jpg

Once we reached Laguna de Sanchez we stopped for a short break at El Mirador restaurant. It was packed with couples and families out and about on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. In fact, from this point until we reached the toll freeway to McAllen, there were people everywhere taking advantage of a fine Sunday afternoon.
MexTrek-301-L.jpg

The view from the top deck of El Mirador
MexTrek-303-L.jpg

A short time after we arrived at El Mirador the afternoon rain showers showed up. We ended up riding in the rain for about 1/2 hour. Once we exited the mountains to the desert below we were mostly out of the rain.
MexTrek-304-L.jpg

The last good riding of the trip. After this it we were out of the mountains and headed east across the desert.
MexTrek-305-L.jpg

We made it to McAllen at dark. A short time later we were holed up in the local Motel 6, drinking a post-ride beer, calling family members to let them know we had cheated death at the hands of drug lords, and checking email and text messages.
MexTrek-306-L.jpg

We collected a few battle scars on this trip.
MexTrek-307-L.jpg

Thanks for reading - I hope you enjoyed our journey.

I'm going to do it again next year on Memorial Day weekend...

We collected a few battle scars on this trip.
MexTrek-307-L.jpg

Thanks for reading - I hope you enjoyed our journey.

I'm going to do it again next year on Memorial Day weekend...

Yea, that's not infected. You'll be fine!:rider:

Inquiring minds want to know( at least I do ).
After riding with you and your Super DRZ are JT and Milton ready to do the changes on their 400's? :rider:

In the afternoon of Day 3, after the Bee Trail, Buena Vista and Agua Blanca, the 6 of us split up into two groups. Rich & John back to their digs in Galeana, while the more adventurous headed for a night in Aramberi. There are numerous places to pass the noche in these parts, even if you don't count sleeping on someone's porch.

We checked into the Hotel Maria Luisa, our favorite. They stoked the wood burning hot water heater for us, and soon we were showered, clean and ready to explore the town, just in time for a torrential downpour that lasted hours, flooding the streets. All dressed up with no place to go, we decided against going out and ate at the hotel restaurant.

It poured that night at the Maria Luisa
140523_057-L.jpg

After dinner yarn telling on the patio.
140523_058-L.jpg

In the morning the evening's rain had washed everything clean and crisp. A few shots from around Aramberi.
140524_371_2_3-hdr-L.jpg

140524_387_8_9-hdr_PS-edt-XL.jpg

140524_399-L.jpg

Scott & I explored around town a bit, looking for someplace to eat breakfast. People around here aren't too early to rise.
140524_412-L.jpg

Day 4
We had come this way to explore the back way into Camarones, a route Chuck & I had blazed in 2008, see my Smugmug album. We remembered the route as being cow trails, especially in the parts nearer Aramberi, and we fretted about the effects of last night's rain.

We found many changes in the road, this is one of the shots past Lampositos
140524_414-L.jpg

Past Rodeo the road became a muddy slog. We stopped, conferred, and then mounted back up
140524_417-L.jpg

Everyone I asked told me we would have no problems getting thru, still, you never know
140524_418-L.jpg

This looked familiar
140524_419-L.jpg

And what's this? The cow trails have actually been improved.

140524_420-L.jpg

Yep. Maquina. This was the toughest part back in 2008.
140524_421-L.jpg

Deep in the woods. Having fun now.
140524_427-L.jpg

The down side of the little pass, a killer back in 2008, we were praising ourselves for such good decision making
140524_437-L.jpg

Seasoned JT, he made life a lot easier
140524_436-L.jpg

The community of Alamos
140524_442-L.jpg

Rejoining the main road on the other side of Alamos.
140524_443-44m-XL.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know( at least I do ).
After riding with you and your Super DRZ are JT and Milton ready to do the changes on their 400's? :rider:

I can't speak for them but I can tell you that I very much appreciated the Super DRZ during this ride. The wide ratio + big bore + Lynx combination really worked well for me.

I told both Milton and JT they could ride my DRZ anytime they wanted but mysteriously neither took me up on the offer.

Yep, fantastic pictures and ride stories! :clap: You guys sure have the rest of us salivating for a ride into Mexico. Glad you all had a great time, and nobody got hurt, got weigh laid by mechanicals, or caught them selves on fire. Sure hope I can do this one next year. :rider:

Yep, fantastic pictures and ride stories! :clap: You guys sure have the rest of us salivating for a ride into Mexico. Glad you all had a great time, and nobody got hurt, got weigh laid by mechanicals, or caught them selves on fire. Sure hope I can do this one next year. :rider:

This would be awesome to do. One day for sure!

Thanks for posting and sharing yall's adventure with all of us (by comparison) couch potatoes.
some day.....

Walking around the streets of Aramberi in the early morning Milton and I pass a Tortilleria who's employees were hard at work. We stopped to have a look and they invited us inside and gave us free samples.

IMG_5319-L.jpg

IMG_5316-L.jpg

On the way out of town that morning we took a paved road heading into the mountains that had been effected by land slides:

The sign to El Saucilla had remnants of a goat carcass hanging on it:
IMG_5330-L.jpg

As we enter the mountains Milton asks the locals about the road ahead:

IMG_5335-L.jpg

We ride upon a group of cows that wanted to show us who really owned the road:

On the last stretch of our route we came upon a few washed out bridges. We decided to work our way through the first few obstacles before ultimately turning around and slabbing it back to Galeana before dark.

IMG_5353-L.jpg

IMG_5366-L.jpg

IMG_5371-L.jpg

Chuck initially tries an alternate route out:
Chuck%20in%20Culvert-L.png

JT gives goat herding a try:

Last edited:
Man that pic inside the tortilleria really speaks to me. I bet it smelled heavenly in there. Just give me a stick of real butter... and it's on! :eat:

Here's the last of my pics.
Hotel in Aramberi

May2014147_zps9b0da535.jpg

May2014148_zps458636ae.jpg

Roughing it

May2014149_zps4371fd72.jpg

May2014150_zps74f73dcd.jpg

May2014151_zps4559e913.jpg

The wood fired water heater
May2014152_zpsf9363b83.jpg

Is this Avocodo?

May2014153_zps3697591b.jpg

Hotel guard horse
May2014154_zps993b687b.jpg

breakfast in Camorones (sp)
May2014157_zpsb8e93088.jpg

The singing chitlins
May2014157_zpsb8e93088.jpg

May2014159_zps57d75e78.jpg

May2014162_zps1ff21d53.jpg

May2014165_zpscd25c90f.jpg

May2014166_zps20adafa5.jpg

May2014170_zps96a5be24.jpg

May2014173_zpsae84a29f.jpg

Last but Definitely not least
THE FAMOUS EL RAY

May2014174_zps88dd719f.jpg

Had a great time and look forward to next year

Here's my last pic of the trip, in front of Milton's house. We unloaded Milton's bike. Rich lives a few miles from Milton. I live about 20 miles north.

So, I unloaded my bike, and rode to the Great North Austin.

Here's the Dos Amigo's saying Adios.

IMG_5763.jpg
"]
IMG_5763.jpg
[/URL]

Those two guys are such good buddies, and they go way, way back....their friendship kinda reminds of good old Roy and Dale:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw_yprN_-w"]Roy Rogers - Happy trails - YouTube[/ame]

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

C'mon Man! Roy and Dale? Really? That's just not right...

Truth be told we are more likely to remind folks of these 2 fellows.
373e95f.jpg

What does JT have on his hands in the shot with him smoking the pipe?

Back