• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blizzard of 2011

Started last night when I went to bed about 10:00pm with some light rain that quickly turned to ice. Then some sleet around 11ish. By then I was sound asleep.

Got up about 5:30 to a good 4" of snow, 40mph winds and drifts 12" or more. My first course of business was to get the snow away from the back door so we could get outside. Then make a path from the shop to the house so I could get the generator up to the house if needed.

Luckily the lock on the shop door was not iced over as in the blizzard of Christmas Eve 2009. However, the door was frozen shut at the bottom from the ice and snow. I then had to get a steel spade-nose shovel to get it broken away so I could get the door open.

By now with the wind and sub freezing temps my face and neck were beginning to sting/burn. I had been out for only about 20 minutes. Now I can see how people trapped outside die so quickly. Right now about 7:30ish it is still snowing and blowing around pretty hard. It’s light enough now to get some pics. I’ll see if I can get them posted later.

WOW, less than an hour since I shoveled the snow from the back door. I went out to take a pic and thump! The back door will not open, 24" of snow in front of it:eek2:

Thankfully it was fresh dry snow and I was able to force the door open and get outside and do some more shoveling.

No snow here in San Antonio, but very cold and windy. Nearly blew me off the bike this morning. Nothing like a 40mph cross wind at 70mph to wake you up in the morning!

scar04

Forum Supporter
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Saldana
It's still in the 60's and sunny here in Laredo. A little windy, but nothing major yet.

First Name
AJ
Fort Worth is a ice rink. Lots of ice, it wasn't bad driving on the snow but the ice under it is pretty nasty. If I get off work early might have to take the kids 50 out for some neighborhood flat track fun.

Still, after lliving in Wisconsin for 5 years, I think blizzard might be overdoing it a little.

First Name
Jack
Last Name
Flannery
You caught the 40mph wind part, right? :lol2: That sure makes for a blizzard.
Grew up in Michigan and live in DFW for 20 yrs. Not a blizzard. It is a freezing, cold, crappy, icy, snowy, crummy day, not fit for man nor beast. Stay warm.

4 inches is a blizzard around here! Some folks don't understand it, one inch equals a day off. Snow shovels are not sold along with tire chains or snow removal equipment. Patients is required as it should be gone in a little while. Deicing, nope don't have any.

M38A1

Admin
First Name
Scott
Me thinks I need a trip to Dairy Queen at lunch. A Blizzard sounds sort of good for some reason. :mrgreen:

About 3am is when it blew through AUS. Really strong 30+ winds and we're below freezing now from 62*F about 11 last night. Glad there's really no precip in this for us - yet.

We have about 6 to 8 inches on the ground, but a layer of ice waiting under that.:giveup:

It took me about an hour to make the 20 miles in to work this AM. Of course I got passed by the hot shots flying low.

I was running 20 mph and had trouble seeing the road, not sure what they were using to keep them between the sholders on the road.:eek2:

Snow drifts every few feet, like a whoop-de-do section.

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Nelson
Still, after lliving in Wisconsin for 5 years, I think blizzard might be overdoing it a little.
You guys realize the Big Spank Daddy is up in Oklahoma, right? Up there it IS a blizzard. 24" of snow drift in two hours is a serious problem.

:giveup:

I consider a blizzard as more "white out" conditions. Right now the snow has slacked up a bit, but the flakes are much bigger. I think i'll walk down the road and see if anyone is out on the highway.

Anyone want to post the pics for me? Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send the pics.

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by strong winds and reduced visibility. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1] Ground blizzards require high winds to stir up already fallen snow.

Just sayin!

Yep, that's what we got.

Thats me with my water proof Tourmaster boots and my water proof Cold Pro gloves. Winds gusting to 45mph and temp at 13 degrees, I was toasty warm.

I'll bet your dog is having a ball in all that snow. Mine absolutely loved playing in it.

She doesn't look like it but she likes when I hold her down and throw snow in her face. :mrgreen:

Yep, the real terror was just out of the pic. I don't think I got a shot of her while we were out. They absolutely love the snow. I'll send you a pic of her from last year.

wow. there's a bunch of uptight definition-nazis, here. let's just say it's frigging cold all over the state. in fact, houston is expecting a "blizzard" thursday and friday.;-)

I love the pictures. Its 82 deg and a beautiful day here. I'll be wearing shorts thank you. :-) :thumb:

Its 82 deg and a beautiful day here.
Then I guess you're NOT at home because it's 19 degrees in Katy at the moment.

I was checking a few hours ago and it was colder in Central Texas than it was in Chicago or Milwaukee.

Then I guess you're NOT at home because it's 19 degrees in Katy at the moment.

I was checking a few hours ago and it was colder in Central Texas than it was in Chicago or Milwaukee.
yep. it's 20 right now here in Kingwood. maybe his thermostat is set to 82.

First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nix
anybody know the condition of the little rock, texarkana, tyler area? I have to drive back that way some time today and it is starting to snow in north arkansas right now

3 degrees this morning. Even the dogs wanted back in the house after 10 minutes outside.

It amazes me how tough birds are though. They seem totaly unaffected by the heat, cold or rain. Yesterday during the heaviest snow and wind they were still out in droves at the feeders. Even this morning with sub-zero wind chill they seem just as happy and hungry as ever.

First Name
Lilia
Last night, it was projected to be colder today in Houston than in Moscow. HA! :lol2:

Edit: Just checked temps - now: Houston - 22 and Moscow - 28. :thpt:

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
Rolling blackouts statewide. :eek2:

Our office was closed yesterday and today. Even if it wasn't, I wasn't gonna make the 25mi trip after seeing footage about I30/Loop12

3 here, windchill -15. About a foot of snow, big drifts. Haven't left the house. Posted photos on Wild Goose board. 76 here on Saturday. Snowed in, working by blackberry.

Our office was closed yesterday and today. Even if it wasn't, I wasn't gonna make the 25mi trip after seeing footage about I30/Loop12
I made the trek yesterday and today. I skipped out on the interstates though and stuck to the surface streets. Actual road conditions might not be any better but the number of morans is much lower. :mrgreen:

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Nelson
The Buff I (normally worn under my helmet) might look funny as I walk into work, but my ears, face, and neck are toasty warm when I get inside. Can the people with pretty hair exposed to the cold air say that? :trust:

First Name
Dutch
anybody know the condition of the little rock, texarkana, tyler area? I have to drive back that way some time today and it is starting to snow in north arkansas right now

Tyler is perfectly fine, just a bit cold. Yesterday was another story. My 70 mile ride on the bike was a bit treacherous.

First Name
Dutch
3 here, windchill -15. About a foot of snow, big drifts. Haven't left the house. Posted photos on Wild Goose board. 76 here on Saturday. Snowed in, working by blackberry.
Hey John!

Thought about you yesterday when my buddy in Piedmont was telling me about his 4' snow drifts.

3 degrees this morning. Even the dogs wanted back in the house after 10 minutes outside.

It amazes me how tough birds are though. They seem totaly unaffected by the heat, cold or rain. Yesterday during the heaviest snow and wind they were still out in droves at the feeders. Even this morning with sub-zero wind chill they seem just as happy and hungry as ever.
My dog went 10' out the door, turned around and wanted right back in. She had this :brainsnap look on her face.:rofl: Bunch of buzzards flew by earlier like it was just another day in the sun. Stupid!!
The power went off a couple times this morning and now the water pump quit.:headbang: Thank God for gas logs huh?;-)

CIMG4816.jpg

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill

Birds are just too dumb to know it's cold. And really, what can they do about it? :lol2:

our office has been closed for the past two days.. I am still having to work from home and I will have to run into the office tomorrow.. but then I head out to LA for 5 days. hope this stuff will be gone when i get home..lol

KenH

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Haley
Birds are just too dumb to know it's cold. And really, what can they do about it? :lol2:
Fly south?

Temp up to 56"F yesterday afternoon, rainfall rate at 0.3in/hr, wind 10-12mph steady from south. Stayed that way until about 6:00PM. By 6:15PM, 40*F, no rain, wind 20-25 gusting to 60 from the west. 7:00AM temp down to 21*F, snowing, wind 15-20 from the west-northwest. Currently 25*F, light snow, wind 5-10 from the west.

I love global warming. :giveup:

Now that's a snow drift. Notice that there's nothing on the ground around the chair but look how deep it gets. We used to get that in Cleveland. There was never any snow by our side door which opened onto our driveway. Just the other side of the driveway was the neighbors house and the snow would be all blown up against the side of their house. The people across the street had it bad. Their houses were lined up opposite of ours so the snow blew up against their doors. Sucks.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Beautiful here in Huntsville. Chilly to be sure. On the way in to work this morning I passed by a park-n-ride lot on the edge of town. It had about 25 of those power line trucks with the cherry picker baskets and long trailers for hauling power poles. They were all taking turns gassing up at a local station and topping off their coffee mugs. We're not predicted to get any potential nastiness until Friday, so I guess they are staging here before heading North.