• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Blizzard of 2011

Reaction score
Started last night when I went to bed about 10:00pm with some light rain that quickly turned to ice. Then some sleet around 11ish. By then I was sound asleep.

Got up about 5:30 to a good 4" of snow, 40mph winds and drifts 12" or more. My first course of business was to get the snow away from the back door so we could get outside. Then make a path from the shop to the house so I could get the generator up to the house if needed.

Luckily the lock on the shop door was not iced over as in the blizzard of Christmas Eve 2009. However, the door was frozen shut at the bottom from the ice and snow. I then had to get a steel spade-nose shovel to get it broken away so I could get the door open.

By now with the wind and sub freezing temps my face and neck were beginning to sting/burn. I had been out for only about 20 minutes. Now I can see how people trapped outside die so quickly. Right now about 7:30ish it is still snowing and blowing around pretty hard. It’s light enough now to get some pics. I’ll see if I can get them posted later.

WOW, less than an hour since I shoveled the snow from the back door. I went out to take a pic and thump! The back door will not open, 24" of snow in front of it:eek2:

Thankfully it was fresh dry snow and I was able to force the door open and get outside and do some more shoveling.

No snow here in San Antonio, but very cold and windy. Nearly blew me off the bike this morning. Nothing like a 40mph cross wind at 70mph to wake you up in the morning!

4" of snow is NOT a blizzard. Sorry, it's just a little snow.

It's still in the 60's and sunny here in Laredo. A little windy, but nothing major yet.

Fishtailed my way to work on the freezing rain this morning. I'd rather drive on snow. I'd rather not shovel it though.

Fort Worth is a ice rink. Lots of ice, it wasn't bad driving on the snow but the ice under it is pretty nasty. If I get off work early might have to take the kids 50 out for some neighborhood flat track fun.

Still, after lliving in Wisconsin for 5 years, I think blizzard might be overdoing it a little.

You caught the 40mph wind part, right? :lol2: That sure makes for a blizzard.

Grew up in Michigan and live in DFW for 20 yrs. Not a blizzard. It is a freezing, cold, crappy, icy, snowy, crummy day, not fit for man nor beast. Stay warm.

4 inches is a blizzard around here! Some folks don't understand it, one inch equals a day off. Snow shovels are not sold along with tire chains or snow removal equipment. Patients is required as it should be gone in a little while. Deicing, nope don't have any.

Me thinks I need a trip to Dairy Queen at lunch. A Blizzard sounds sort of good for some reason. :mrgreen:

About 3am is when it blew through AUS. Really strong 30+ winds and we're below freezing now from 62*F about 11 last night. Glad there's really no precip in this for us - yet.

We have about 6 to 8 inches on the ground, but a layer of ice waiting under that.:giveup:

It took me about an hour to make the 20 miles in to work this AM. Of course I got passed by the hot shots flying low.

I was running 20 mph and had trouble seeing the road, not sure what they were using to keep them between the sholders on the road.:eek2:

Snow drifts every few feet, like a whoop-de-do section.

Still, after lliving in Wisconsin for 5 years, I think blizzard might be overdoing it a little.

You guys realize the Big Spank Daddy is up in Oklahoma, right? Up there it IS a blizzard. 24" of snow drift in two hours is a serious problem.

:giveup:

Blew in about 4:45 this morning here. That was some crazy wind!:eek2: Knocked my deer feeder over and tore my Tx flag off the pole.:eek: 29deg NW at 20 gusting to 55.

You guys realize the Big Spank Daddy is up in Oklahoma, right? Up there it IS a blizzard. 24" of snow drift in two hours is a serious problem.

:giveup:

I know he is getting hammered :eek2:. I was talking about the DFW Apocalypse. :lol2:

I dunno, the plowed and salted streets in a Cleveland blizzard were easier driven on than the ones this morning in DFW.

I consider a blizzard as more "white out" conditions. Right now the snow has slacked up a bit, but the flakes are much bigger. I think i'll walk down the road and see if anyone is out on the highway.

Anyone want to post the pics for me? Send me a PM with an email address and I'll send the pics.

BigSpankDaddy's pics

Good looking dog, looks almost like mine.
IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by strong winds and reduced visibility. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1] Ground blizzards require high winds to stir up already fallen snow.

Just sayin!

Yep, that's what we got.

Thats me with my water proof Tourmaster boots and my water proof Cold Pro gloves. Winds gusting to 45mph and temp at 13 degrees, I was toasty warm.

I'll bet your dog is having a ball in all that snow. Mine absolutely loved playing in it.

IMG_0767.JPG

She doesn't look like it but she likes when I hold her down and throw snow in her face. :mrgreen:

IMG_0752.JPG

Yep, the real terror was just out of the pic. I don't think I got a shot of her while we were out. They absolutely love the snow. I'll send you a pic of her from last year.

Back