• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bluetooth/Comm always on left side?

Monica

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at a bluetooth unit for my helmet. It's time to add the ability to listen to nav directions from my phone. But a dumb question, do the units always/only mount to the left side of the helmet? I know why, it's not the throttle hand. But in my case, well ya know, I can't go left. Is this one ofthose things I gotta live with it it on the left or is there an option on the market to mount on the right?

Sure, but it will look goofy and button placement may be odd since it will be "backwards".
Some mount with double sided tape/velcro, so those would be easy, mine (a cheapie off e-bay) has a screw on clamp style, but see no reason it could not be mounted on the right.
The speaker and mic placement may be a small issue though.
On mine and the others I have seen, the left ear contains the mic, speaker and short plug to the unit, and a longer cable to the right side speaker.
If you put the unit on the right, the left ear will have to go on the right, and the mic may not line up quite right, but may not be a huge issue.

You might find the Sena 10R would mount on the right side ok. It is a low profile unit and the battery mounts on the back of the helmet and the controls on the side.

I think most of them can mount on the right. Units with a boom mic that is imbedded in the housing might not but most modern Cardo or Sena systems come with multiple mic configurations and could be mounted on the left or right.

I recently installed a Cardo PackTalk system and it easily could have been mounted on the right.

As someone mentioned earlier, it might look a bit different and the placement of the buttons might be backwards from an ergonomics standpoint.....but probably a lot less problematic than reaching your right hand around your head to the left.

One other consideration. Voice activation technology has improved. The PackTalk I installed is the PackTalk Bold model. Bold added all kinds of voice commands that you can do by saying "Hey Cardo" and then a dozen or so commands after. It works pretty well and so I don't have to use the buttons near as much as I did on my old Sena system. This particular unit is kind of pricey as it's really good at bike to bike mesh networks with lots of bikes but there may be similar voice functionality in other brands that might be available for less.

Another option would be Blue tooth Ear buds if you can wear them.

This was my first thought if all you want to do is listen to music and are not worried about using it as a communicator.

My concern is one @blupupher mentioned, the comms I've seen usually have the speaker cables in short (for left side) and long (for right side) since they expect all the units to be mounted on the left side. It would bother me to have the sound reversed, then again not sure how much that affects, really.

My concern is one @blupupher mentioned, the comms I've seen usually have the speaker cables in short (for left side) and long (for right side) since they expect all the units to be mounted on the left side. It would bother me to have the sound reversed, then again not sure how much that affects, really.

I agree ... the fidelity from inside the helmet speakers isn't that great.
Factor in the wind noise and it gets worse.
On top of that, who cares if the track whispers "Paul is dead" in the left ear or the right. :giveup:

As far as orientation of the buttons, humans are pretty adaptable.

Without two hands to put on a helmet, it rips buds out of my ears. Hurts too. Helmet mounted speakers are the best solution for me here for sound.
The Scala QSolo unit gets good reviews from what I've seen so far. Not looking to spend a ton. Just want bluetooth in my helmet. I'll just stick it on the left and reach over. I'm use to wearing bluetooth wraparound buds for workout. And in the truck I use nav for any unfamiliar place I go. I'm lost without a map.

But JQ1 made me realize a good point, nav gives me turn by turn two ways - displayed on the screen and listening to the voice. Guess I don't need to hear it since I can see it. Could just get a xgrip ram mount for my phone.

I use the Pack Talk bold and put it on the right because I'm right handed. Never thought about it being on the left so I could still use the throttle. (rookie) I bought a new helmet and bought another speaker kit. Thinking of putting it on the left. Like 2wheelnut said the Pack Talk has great voice commands so it really doesn't matter.

yep sena has the handlebar remote you can use and never have to touch the helmet mounted unit except for turn it on or off

Back