• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW gsa screen

Well I’m convinced it’s a bad connection. Went for a ride today and was a lil more aggressive on the gravel roads than normal. The screen started blinking on and off. Then I hit pavement and no screen at all. Back on rough dirt and it comes on like it’s just not making good contact. Next chance I get, I’m gonna take it apart again and scrub those contacts once more even though they look very clean. Would anything work better than alcohol ?

I would also look at all the SMT chips and connectors for a loose solder joint.

CAN hi and CAN lo always add up to 5Vdc. Think of Morse Code. CAN is how all the modules communicate and a oscilloscope is the only way to view the voltage on the CAN system. The red wire should be battery voltage. Give me a call sometime. You may have some codes so a GS911 might be helpful.

CAN hi and CAN lo always add up to 5Vdc. Think of Morse Code. CAN is how all the modules communicate and a oscilloscope is the only way to view the voltage on the CAN system. The red wire should be battery voltage. Give me a call sometime. You may have some codes so a GS911 might be helpful.

thanks amigo. Most of that went right over my head except for the call you part :shock:

I have taken a knife electric 3 wire connector on a hot wire near and feeding pin connect to board. board and put a tag wire in it. Looks like wire to terminal 3. Then get an led and ground one side and other to tag. tape on handlebar and watch and see if light stays on or goes off with problem as you ride.. I don't know if this will work but if not then just cap off tag short or pull knife connector and tape up. You will probably have to slice sheath around harness an inch or so. You wouldn't have to cut any wires this way. Pay attention to the 4 negative to battery as well. I used these and tattle tails (small fuses that lite up when blown) to check intermitted Chiller faults when I ran HVAC service. I always hated to get a new board and it does the same thing.

I gave in today :giveup:and bought a used instrument panel on eBay. y’all think the mileage will sinc up with my bike or am I in for big issues when it comes to inspection time?

No, mileage is stored in the instrument cluster. Write down current mileage and note it on the cluster somewhere for future reference.

You should be able to explane to the inspector the mileage. Place I go don't care.

No, mileage is stored in the instrument cluster. Write down current mileage and note it on the cluster somewhere for future reference.

thank you. I’ll have to guess since it doesn’t want to play nice anymore.

Desert skies is right. Hook up prior to and get the mileage. I might have to use the ISTA at the shop to get the Kombi to play nice with the DME. VIN and mileage are stored in the DME and Kombi and possibly the ZFE if not mistaken as you have a 2012 can head. Give me a call when you have a chance.

BTW, don't toss the orig, you may need to get info out of it some day.

So here’s the update. The new to me 2009 bmw dash came today. Fit perfect, plugged right in and the screen works “almost” as it should. The mileage blinks and the brake failure light does not go out like normal. I took it for a ride and odometer does work as do the brakes. Any secret tip to re-boot? Maybe unhook the battery 3 times while waving chicken feathers over the canbus?

On my 05, I just plugged it in and went on, only diff was the mileage was offset by 9k miles. I would guess the "all knowing" engineers at BMW added algorithms to the code in later models to detect a mismatch in the two systems that would require a trip to the dealer to correct this and get deeper into your wallet.

BMW = Bring More Wallet

Strange how it comes on eventually and then works fine. Of course now that I tore it apart it may not anymore...
I’ll get out the voltmeter and test for continuous voltage.
I had an intermittent problem like this once and it was heat related in a wire with a break in it somewhere. When things warmed up they worked. Often when cold , they did not work

Back