• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW MOA Rally in Tennesee 2019

Reaction score
There are 4 of us that are getting it together to make the trip for this Big Time International BMW rally near the Smokey Mountains.

We can ride or trailer, or do both. BMW riders don't like to trailer, but work commitments make loading up a trailer a bit easier because you can get there faster. By faster I mean, trailering is interstate all the way.

Motorbike riding is back roads, check it out, and enjoy the ride. You know what I mean.

Is anybody from TX going to ride to this event?

I'm leaning to ride my 1996 BMW R1100 RSL all the way there and back. Anybody else going? What do you guys think?

My friend and I are registered and attending. We don’t have any details worked out, but we are definitely riding and camping at the rally.

Rally is June 13-15 (Father's Day weekend), Lebanon, Tennessee, rally fee is $85 at the gate. https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/2019-bmwmoa-rally

There are a few of us with the East Texas BMW Plus Motorcycle Club riding up-leave on Tue June 11, return on Sun June 16.
We are taking two days to get there and making a couple river crossings on ferries (including the Dorena-Hickman ferry across the Mississippi). One day return trip via interstate on Sunday. You can camp at the rally for free (after paying rally fee) or motel nearby.

Some of us are considering a long ride on Wednesday (after the ferries) down to Tellico Plains, TN, staying at a motorcycle campground that has cabins, then on Thursday ride the Cherohala Skyway & Tail of the Dragon, getting to the rally late on Thursday.

There will be off-road training & road-skills training at the rally. Rally registration and training registration is at the link below.

Training fills up long before the rally, don't tarry if you want to do training.

https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/2019-bmwmoa-rally

Got some BMWDFW club members going. 2 days up. 2 days riding around. 1 day/2 nights at the rally (not much of a rally rat) and 2 days home.
First 2 - across Ark thru the Clinton and Mtn View area, part of NW Tenn, up to KY and the Land Between the Lakes area.
Next 2 - Riding around the Tenn/Ky border, Cumberland and central Tenn. (not doing the Dragon or any of that touristy stuff down South)
Next 1 - Check out the rally and vendors etc ...
Next 2 - Back thru Nashville and part of the Trace (checking out "The Crossroads" and some of the Blues stuff and then hitting Memphis and I-40)
and then I-40/I-30 home.

Hoteling all the way.

Gonna be a popular event since those last "flatlander" type rallies.

Also, a lot people volunteer at the national rally (I volunteered last year and I have volunteered for cleanup duty Saturday afternoon this year).

If you are interested, you can either ask about it when you arrive or you can use the link below to reserve the date & time today. Chose a ticket (day & time slot), ignore any hint of cost (there is no cost) and click on it. You will have successfully picked a Registration volunteer position.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-bmw-moa-rally-registration-volunteer-tickets-55851144276

In there like swimwear. Details to be determined, but I have my ticket.

Im registered but my Anniversary is the 12th so im leaving early on the 13th and have a room for the 13th thru 15th at the rally.

Now it appears there will be 5 of us camping at the rally. We won't get there till Thursday afternoon, so if anybody is setting up earlier, how about the Texas Flag or the Come and Take It flag flying at the campsite.

Rally is roughly 6 weeks away at this point. Anyone else going? Our group is planning to camp on site at this point.

We're down to the wire. A buddy of ours left L.A. this morn. Will arrive Smithville Sunday. Wednesday we all ride to the Smokey's for 6 days of fun in Appalachian Mountain Hillbilly Country. Tail Of the Dragon, yada, yada, yada. Then break camp from the Tsali campground and head out to the big time National BMW MOA rally.

We'll have the Texas Flag and the Come And Take It colors flying at the campsite at the Rally.

If you are going, stop by for a beer and say Hi Y'all.

Cheers

I'm leaving East Texas early Tuesday morning during the week of the rally and heading to Tellico Plains, TN. Staying two nights at Hunt's lodge campground/cabins and spending all day Wednesday & Thursday morning riding southern Appalachia (NC & TN). Plan to arrive at the rally sometime on Thursday.

Last edited:
Ride safe - sounds like a good time. Maybe next year if I'm Stateside.

Chili dogs at Tellico Beach Drive In

8ad8a3b08d21ce283e21e4af9c02b346.jpg

3f1d43c90bc6266bef118e4742c9324c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanging out at Land Between the Lakes. We’ll head out to Lebanon in the morning.

I will be in NW Georgia by Saturday evening with my 2017 GS and my son. I'll also have a few KTMs in the trailer and RSquared's son, Mason, with me. We are going to start in Dalton and do a 6 day loop through the Smoky Mountains, hitting all the twisties and little dirt roads, eventually returning to Dalton the following Friday evening.

Enjoying the beautiful country roads in Tennessee. They don’t run out of the twisties.

6fdbf32e968aa9e9b86216d110c16ec5.jpg

a8cde49904cf7e980a98a15f3c4e6d63.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying the beautiful country roads in Tennessee. They don’t run out of the twisted.

View attachment 236361

View attachment 236362
We do have beautiful country in middle Tennessee. If you have the time, head down to Lynchburg, TN. It's about an hour south of Lebanon. It's the home of the Jack Daniel's distillery ( take the free tour, it's a good time) and there are some nice twisty roads. US 231, State Road 50, and State Road 129. Tim's Ford Dam is close to Lynchburg and you will enjoy the roads as well. Ride well and Ride safe.

John B.

Ride well

Ran into richb and rsquared both in Tellico Plains at Hunts Lodge, I think.. Great trip, just shy of 2,000 miles of TN, GA, and NC roads before and during the rally.

Back