• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW Plastic Emergency Key for Keyless Ride

Reaction score
I picked up a new to me R1200RS last week. I didn't receive an emergency key, just a single fob. Salesman says they don't have it and forwarded my text to parts. I'm waiting for followup, but in the meantime thought I'd ask here if there is non-dealership, less expensive option available. And I ask that with no knowledge of what the dealership will charge.

Stop by any real locksmith and they will either have something or tell you it is a BMW-only item.

Stop by any real locksmith and they will either have something or tell you it is a BMW-only item.

It is likely a BMW only item as they are RFID style keys. They don't actually go into a key slot. You hold them REAL close to a sensor and they will let you start the bike without the normal key fob that has a much longer range.

Speaking of which, the battery in my key fob is getting weak. I am getting the warning light on the dash of my 2017 R1200 GS Rallye. Uncle, what is involved with replacing those batteries? Is it a common battery I can get somewhere like Walgreens or some special battery that I can only get from BMW?

It is likely a BMW only item as they are RFID style keys. They don't actually go into a key slot. You hold them REAL close to a sensor and they will let you start the bike without the normal key fob that has a much longer range.

Speaking of which, the battery in my key fob is getting weak. I am getting the warning light on the dash of my 2017 R1200 GS Rallye. Uncle, what is involved with replacing those batteries? Is it a common battery I can get somewhere like Walgreens or some special battery that I can only get from BMW?
The fob battery is the very common CR2032. Walgreens will have it.

It is likely a BMW only item as they are RFID style keys. ....
The ACE hardware near here claims that can duplicate keys that have a chip except for the laser cut keys (internal cut). So RFID <> dealer-only to me but the BMW motorcycle item is low volume so not likely for a general locksmith to inventory that kind of item.

The ACE hardware near here claims that can duplicate keys that have a chip except for the laser cut keys (internal cut). So RFID <> dealer-only to me but the BMW motorcycle item is low volume so not likely for a general locksmith to inventory that kind of item.
It's not a key. It is shaped like one but is made out of plastic and is in case the battery dies in the fob. You can start it by placing the "key" against the rear fender in a specific spot so the bike will start.

You can also do the same thing with your FOB if the battery dies. The plastic key is called the wallet key in case you can’t find it or as a customer in Alaska, forgot it and washed his coat. They are not water proof.

Dealership called late yesterday afternoon. Wasn't as stupid expensive as I was afraid of, so I ordered one. Supposed to have it middle of next week. Thanks everyone.

Key showed up Friday. And it works!
Sturdier than I expected, it opens the seat lock with no problem. A little fat to carry in a wallet, but I front pocket carry, so still doable.

Back