• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW R18 - Whatcha think

Reaction score
I've been shopping for a new bike and the R18 has really caught my eye. The reviews on the internets are a mixed bag. Anyone have any experience with them? How's the seating position? Has ground clearance been an issue? I'm considering the standard and classic versions. THANKS!!

Test ride one...I did and found that they are not very comfortable. I know I will get some push back for this but the street glide is a better vehicle. Also the stopping distance from highway speed is surprisingly bad. I think they only sell to people who like the look. Anyone with riding experience would probably want more (power, fuel eff., brakes, comfort, etc). Test ride a Street Glide then a Rocket 3 then the R18 and make up your own mind on what you like.

I owned a 2021 R18 Classic. I enjoyed the low seat of a cruiser, and coming from a 2017 Road King there were things I wanted to fix:

1 the VTwin in the Harley would cook my right thigh. It would get really bad because in order to reduce buffeting, you needed to install fork fangs, dish, all kinds of kit to keep wind from coming up from the tank.
2. Wind Buffeting - as stated, I just couldn't get into a position where my head wasn't throttled over 60MPH. I tried the 'mailbox' windscreen, large Road King windscreen, Memphis shades, beach bars, etc. I tried a ton to get into a relaxed position where I could just eat up miles on the Harley... never found that combination.

So when BMW offered a boxer engine in a cruiser... I had to buy it, and it DID solve #1. I didn't have any heat issues from the rear cylinder like the Milwaukee 8, but wind buffeting was still present. Different helmets didn't resolve and there just isn't enough aftermarket support to experiment with other options. Another problem was how tight the shifter to foot pegs to cylinder head was. You just don't have a ton of room there. with a slight scoot of the foot forward, your toe was punching into the cylinder. They offer a 'cruiser foot rest' that allows you to prop your feet on top of the cylinder head, but good luck finding it... plus it puts your feet so darn high. Really made it tough to stretch out for long rides. It lacked a large capacity tank and was ready for refueling every 120-150 miles. Due to lack of aftermarket support, luggage racks were sparse, everything was sparse...

I loved the reverse, the torquey big motor. It's such a classic design and pretty bike to look at. Stock seat was junk and I swapped that out. Heck, go to RideNow Austin and test out my old bike. Here's the listing: https://www.ridenowaustin.com/Pre-o...irst-Edition-RideNow-Austin-11537316?ref=list

I owned a 2021 R18 Classic. I enjoyed the low seat of a cruiser, and coming from a 2017 Road King there were things I wanted to fix:

1 the VTwin in the Harley would cook my right thigh. It would get really bad because in order to reduce buffeting, you needed to install fork fangs, dish, all kinds of kit to keep wind from coming up from the tank.
2. Wind Buffeting - as stated, I just couldn't get into a position where my head wasn't throttled over 60MPH. I tried the 'mailbox' windscreen, large Road King windscreen, Memphis shades, beach bars, etc. I tried a ton to get into a relaxed position where I could just eat up miles on the Harley... never found that combination.

So when BMW offered a boxer engine in a cruiser... I had to buy it, and it DID solve #1. I didn't have any heat issues from the rear cylinder like the Milwaukee 8, but wind buffeting was still present. Different helmets didn't resolve and there just isn't enough aftermarket support to experiment with other options. Another problem was how tight the shifter to foot pegs to cylinder head was. You just don't have a ton of room there. with a slight scoot of the foot forward, your toe was punching into the cylinder. They offer a 'cruiser foot rest' that allows you to prop your feet on top of the cylinder head, but good luck finding it... plus it puts your feet so darn high. Really made it tough to stretch out for long rides. It lacked a large capacity tank and was ready for refueling every 120-150 miles. Due to lack of aftermarket support, luggage racks were sparse, everything was sparse...

I loved the reverse, the torquey big motor. It's such a classic design and pretty bike to look at. Stock seat was junk and I swapped that out. Heck, go to RideNow Austin and test out my old bike. Here's the listing: https://www.ridenowaustin.com/Pre-o...irst-Edition-RideNow-Austin-11537316?ref=list
Sorry but have to ask, what did you get to replace the R18 and is it a improvement?

Sorry but have to ask, what did you get to replace the R18 and is it a improvement?
I went back to a GS. Third GS but first GSA. The current platform has been around so long, there’s so much you can do to make it fit you.
B9D87013-1B41-4129-BF21-AFFF00E4D8BB.jpeg

Wow that thing looks awesome. Triumph could take a lesson from BMW on paint and wheels. The 2022 Tiger 1200 GT Pro is only available in three colors: "ugly," "plain" or "boring."

Goforth - thank you for the most excellent response! Sorry it didn't work out for you, but you'll mostly likely be very happy with the bike you had to "settle" on. How did the handle/ground clearance compare to the RK?

Goforth - thank you for the most excellent response! Sorry it didn't work out for you, but you'll mostly likely be very happy with the bike you had to "settle" on. How did the handle/ground clearance compare to the RK?
I scrapped the floorboards on the RK way more than the pegs on the R18. I didn't have floorboards on my R18 though, so perhaps that was why.
I put a ton of $$$ into the RK trying to make it a comfortable tourer for my stature: Ohlin shock and fork kit, mean city cycle seat, etc etc. The cool thing was I COULD try stuff. I didn't have that option on the R18 with a much more limited range of parts available.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd look at the bagger for touring or I'd get a naked R18 for city and avoid the Classic.

Gratuitous photos of past kids:
335B9FAC-84C5-438A-9E88-4354D712A95D.jpeg

5AE54860-EC1E-4F69-BBB6-8DF622DE69AD.jpeg

That's very helpful. I rode a RK across Cali a few years ago, so this is a great reference. Nice looking kids!
I scrapped the floorboards on the RK way more than the pegs on the R18. I didn't have floorboards on my R18 though, so perhaps that was why.
I put a ton of $$$ into the RK trying to make it a comfortable tourer for my stature: Ohlin shock and fork kit, mean city cycle seat, etc etc. The cool thing was I COULD try stuff. I didn't have that option on the R18 with a much more limited range of parts available.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd look at the bagger for touring or I'd get a naked R18 for city and avoid the Classic.

Gratuitous photos of past kids:
View attachment 313014
View attachment 313015

I've been shopping for a new bike and the R18 has really caught my eye. The reviews on the internets are a mixed bag. Anyone have any experience with them? How's the seating position? Has ground clearance been an issue? I'm considering the standard and classic versions. THANKS!!
I bought (and sold to my brother) a FE last year; couldn't pass up the deal with HD trade-in incentive from BMW and dealer discount. Enjoyed the raw-power feel!

Seating position:
- Worked for me: I can't stand floorboards or forward controls, my comfort/happy zone is with feet tucked under me for balance and to support my heavy-set body.
- Stock seat on FE was trash, mine had the BMW seat made by Mustang and it was more comfortable than my sofa!

Ground clearance:
- Never dragged anything and did push a few times to find the limits, mine had pegs not the mini floorboards.

Downside:
- Wind management - tank is very small for styling and produces very annoying turbulence regardless of windshield, so unless you get some fork-mounted lowers to compensate, you will be fighting buffeting issues and spending lots of $ trying different windshield solutions.

Tips:
- When you test ride it, make sure the dealer has adjusted the suspension preload; it's shipped with an absurd pre-load setting and it ruins the test-ride experience IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_3569.jpg
    IMG_3569.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3573.jpg
    IMG_3573.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 257
I bought (and sold to my brother) a FE last year; couldn't pass up the deal with HD trade-in incentive from BMW and dealer discount. Enjoyed the raw-power feel!

Seating position:
- Worked for me: I can't stand floorboards or forward controls, my comfort/happy zone is with feet tucked under me for balance and to support my heavy-set body.
- Stock seat on FE was trash, mine had the BMW seat made by Mustang and it was more comfortable than my sofa!

Ground clearance:
- Never dragged anything and did push a few times to find the limits, mine had pegs not the mini floorboards.

Downside:
- Wind management - tank is very small for styling and produces very annoying turbulence regardless of windshield, so unless you get some fork-mounted lowers to compensate, you will be fighting buffeting issues and spending lots of $ trying different windshield solutions.

Tips:
- When you test ride it, make sure the dealer has adjusted the suspension preload; it's shipped with an absurd pre-load setting and it ruins the test-ride experience IMHO.
Thanks, Adan. Great review and tips. Interesting that 2 twtex's bought and sold this model so quickly. Seems like it fits into the Danger Zone of the Hot Crazy Matrix :)

Due to lack of aftermarket support, luggage racks were sparse, everything was sparse...
You can say that about just about anything. I found that with the HD Pan America as well.

I went back to a GS. Third GS but first GSA. The current platform has been around so long, there’s so much you can do to make it fit you.
Was that the low GSA they had in the showroom?

Congrats... I found a gently used 2020 GSA at Alamo in San Antonio and ended up going for that over a 2022 (which Alamo had in stock, but RideNow was quoting me April delivery on).

Back