• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW S1000XR LOW RPM MISFIRE

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Irons
Need help with diagnosing a misfire on my BMW. Started a few weeks back. Will only miss up to 4000 RPM, which for this bike, is barely clutch engaging speed lol. Sounds horrendous, like I'm missing a whole cylinder. Above 4000, pulls as hard as always. I rode an hour away to Team Mancuso Powersports Southwest to have them look at it, issue cleared up by the time I got there. No CEL on the dash. I chocked it up to water in the gas, headed home, refilled tank, added more ethanol treatment, just in case. Sat a couple of weeks, now doing it again. Unplugged my O2 sensors, bike now only sputters under 3000, and even then, is not consistent, but it did not eliminate the problem completely, seems to idle smoother though. Bike is a 2016 with only 8700 miles on it. Full Akropovic exhaust and the ECU was flashed by the dealer before I bought it. O2 sensors for the bike are very expensive, I don't just want to throw money at it. Plan on taking it back to Mancuso, but I didn't know if anyone had thoughts on the matter before I do that. I bought an extended warranty with them. Thanks.

What type of ECU flash did the dealer install? I have never heard of a dealer that would put a performance flash on the ECU. If you haven't done so already disconnect the battery, clean terminals and cable eyelets, then reinstall. I have a 2016 XR with 17k miles and had a weird issue where the dash would loose power and the bike would die when down shifting. It would start up immediately and go back to normal after that and was intermittent. Turned out the previous owner didn't install the battery cables properly, fixed and no issues since. Loose battery cables and/or low battery voltage will do weird things to these bikes.

I actually did that exact same thing when it very first happened. Got it back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the spark plugs and did the annual maintenance. Runs better than when I bought it actually. As far as the flash goes, maybe it wasn't the dealer, but it was like that when I bought it. It doesn't specify who. Anyway, issue resolved, can't complain. (Except for the bill)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back