• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bosque del Apache (BdA) 2017

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Late December 2017, WoodButcher and I were commiserating about how much vacation we had to burn before the end of the year or lose it. In true Rusty/Scott mode, a plan was 'hatched' in short order to make a quick run to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio, NM. I had been there once about two years ago to pick up a motorcycle I purchased from a fellow TWT member who worked on the Refuge. She said "you have to stay and see the birds before you leave", but alas, that trip a stopover was not in the plan.

With reservations confirmed, Rusty and I launched from my house and we pointed NNW with our gear and a lot of cold weather gear. Forecasts were indicating chilly evenings around 30, and warming to the mid-60's for the duration of our excursion. The trip was about 800 miles and 13 hours. As we approached San Antonio, we had planned on just heading the 20mi North to Socorro and check in to the hotel. With maybe 20min before sunset, we decided to head down the highway to the refuge and there we saw a large number of vehicles parked outside the actual Refuge with a LOT of birds coming in for landings. We parked and grabbed some gear.

Now for a bit of my background. I've hunted birds but I've never photographed them. In fact, initially to my eye they were all just 'birds' with some larger than others. By the end of the fourth day, I had a reasonable idea what some were. For shooting, I had my D4s and D700 FF bodies with a 35mm f/1.8, a 70-200 f/2.8 and a rented 200-400mm f/4 affectionately known as the 'beast'. A tripod was also tossed in for good measure.

Here's a few random shots from our first evening. Most were shot high ISO as the sun was setting under some wonderfully colorful clouds. These had to be silhouette shots as the sun was in the West and we were facing West due to the orientation of the pond.

The sun sets fast and you lose the light. But wow - what light...
i-SdhrrbX-XL.jpg

A pair of Sandhill Cranes coming to roost for the evening...
i-Frv2wDS-XL.jpg

Sandhill Cranes
i-hDHwH5d-XL.jpg

i-pRgz7wR-XL.jpg

i-3qcvXMS-XL.jpg

When the light had finally moved past ISO 10,000, we decided it was time to shut down, pack up and head to Socorro for our check-in. We concluded when the sun was gone, the picture taking was done. And so did everyone else. In all honesty, these aren't that great due to the noise in the images. But we learned a valuable lesson which would come in handy on our last day regarding this.

So the next day, we got our first "lift-off". Back to the original pond we shot last evening, the sun was to our back this time and the results were quite different.

Snow Goose
i-HzDn4Dr-XL.jpg

Lift Off - Snow Goose with Sandhill Cranes remaining behind
i-qxNXnCh-XL.jpg

When we finished the launch, we headed to the visitors center where Rusty purchased an annual parks pass. From there we went inside the Refuge and simply drove the allowable roads 'looking'. Along the way we saw a Mule Deer walking down the road. He stared at us for a bit, proceeded down the road then into some brush and hopped in one of the irrigation canals much like a rice paddy. He swam across that 15' or so and climbed out only to turn around and stare at us.
i-rxCMgPT-XL.jpg

Some unidentified ducks flying down one of the canals in early morning sunlight. Light was the biggest factor in a good vs bad shot with these subjects.
i-h242qjb-XL.jpg

Northern Shoveler (hen)
i-67Ffhpm-XL.jpg

Pintail
i-J4DzR52-XL.jpg

Canada Goose
i-Jnsd356-XL.jpg

American Kestrel, Adult female
i-dqf7Lsh-X3.jpg

This little Roadrunner was just hanging out by the canal
i-kNxrQxK-XL.jpg

A pair or Ross's Goose
i-DfDvtp9-XL.jpg

This was a treat from the "Flight Deck" area. We observed two Bald Eagles in a tree several hundred yards out in a tree in the middle of one of the pond areas. We also saw another big bird who was what we believed taunting the two Bald Eagles. Turns out, that was an immature Bald Eagle (most likely offspring of the two mature ones) and the 'parents' were teaching it to hunt or stay out of their area. The scene unfolding was quite fascinating. Rusty has much better shots of this encounter..... Here's the adult and immature in the same shot. These are BIG birds.
i-NFrgffj-XL.jpg

A couple of Sandhill Cranes coming to roost finished out our first full day.
i-CBrFkL8-XL.jpg

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
Loving the story. :popcorn:

Call me crazy, but I really like the first set of the late evening when you just arrived. The first shot you posted may be my favorite. :clap:

So the next morning we depart Socorro about 5:30am. We hit McDonalds for the second morning in a row and the temperature is 12*F. Yes - TWELVE degrees. That's downright chilly in my book. Yet we are dressed warmly and by sunrise the temperature is 14, and within an hour 20. By 10 or so it's a balmy 30 and the layers are peeling off us. The day warms to 65 and bright sunshine. Bright sunshine = Great image potential.

We start the morning out with a female Northern Harrier
i-PK7HSjm-XL.jpg

...then quickly graduate to the Bald Eagle in the "Flight Deck" tree
i-6wtR92k-XL.jpg

We had heard from others the eagles had somewhat of a predictable pattern. They were in the Flight Deck tree, then went out and stayed a very short period in this other tree, so we hoofed it over there and waited. And waited. And waited. And here he is.... I had two shots in my "had to have" list that would make the trip 'worthwhile' to me and one was a Bald Eagle shot worthy of keeping. Shot #1 met.
i-DQbkqW8-XL.jpg

i-LvP74cB-XL.jpg

After the Bald Eagle shots, we again just started driving the interior roads of the Refuge. I've only posted a small number of the things we've seen here so far..... Let's add what we believe to be the same female Northern Harrier again. We saw her in a general area multiple times.
i-fB3VWXp-XL.jpg

With the sun at my back, I captured this Northern Shoveler drake
i-NWjvtD4-XL.jpg

American Wigeons
i-b7j23sR-XL.jpg

The Refuge is like a giant rice paddy without the rice. There's canals everywhere which flood sections bounded by more canals and berms. They are not deep ponds. In other areas they plant rows and rows of corn and other grasses. With some unknown frequency they mow down a few rows of corn to allow feeding/nesting. Here, a Snow Goose comes in for a landing in one of the freshly cut corn areas.
i-v9PxxXX-XL.jpg

Some have asked "do the birds co-mingle with one another"? Yep. Here's a group of Sandhill Cranes with a Canada Goose sandwiched in the flight. This also gives you a good idea of the relative size difference between a Canada Goose and a Sandhill Crane.
i-86WwTrm-XL.jpg

I'm a bit ticked this isn't sharper, but I learned some limits with that 200-400mm lens. It doesn't like 400mm. Anything less than that is just fine, like 395. And this was a HUGE crop on top of that. American Kestrel, male
i-gzsBXNW-XL.jpg

Here's a Red Tailed Hawk
i-6qHpRC5-XL.jpg

How about a Harlan's Hawk?
i-pzzMV96-XL.jpg

How about a Northern Harrier eating a Snow Goose? Just prior to this a Common or Chihuahuan Raven was on it.
i-RGzSGzd-XL.jpg

And this pretty much rounded out the day. Stay tuned as there's more....

Last edited:
So it's the same routine..... Leave at 5:30am, temperature is 13-15*F at the Refuge, sun comes up, birds fly, we have fun, we go home, eat, offload and crash for the night. :-)

Here's some more from the last day..... We're getting the hang of this I think.

Sunrise lift-off with the snow geese and a wonderfully pink sky. Used the 35mm lens for this one.
i-MdJsFdP-XL.jpg

After lift-off, we wandered over to the Crane Pond and heard a bunch of 'yipping' off to the South. So being somewhat curious, we wandered down and watched this little guy going crazy with another one several hundred yards off in the brush of which we couldn't see #2. They were both not happy campers.
i-SDwwTkd-XL.jpg

At the Crane Pond, the sun was just coming up to our backs again and make the Cottonwood stand out. That's ice skim on the pond too....
i-zhDfGgJ-XL.jpg

A morning fly-by with a Sandhill Crane. Man these look prehistoric in my book.
i-SFDJvBk-XL.jpg

So off into the Refuge we go again just looking for fun stuff and wanting to make it look great. Found an elusive Wood Duck drake...
i-CvmGXGF-XL.jpg

Our plan did not disappoint. Here's a Great Blue Heron on the canal bank
i-TLsLqwW-XL.jpg

A Gadwall drake
i-t5RBMtJ-XL.jpg

An immature Great Blue Heron with his recently acquired (speared) bullfrog
i-GgxGc44-XL.jpg

Probably my best Sandhill Crane shot
i-w7DjX5f-XL.jpg

I don't know how they do this..... We have a LOT of shots where the wings are in unison with one another. This is what I call "Where's Waldo".
i-2K7PF2v-XL.jpg

A couple of Canada Goose on take-off
i-hrcb4Gf-XL.jpg

What's really interesting about the above shot is the band. According to my friend it's an old band too, barely readable.
i-JKh8zPX.jpg

Off into the sunset goes a drake and two hen Mallards
i-jc7KNF3-XL.jpg

While walking a canal, I heard some heavy stirring in the brush. Waiting to see what was about to unfold, we were treated to this guy
i-PG4nhxt-XL.jpg

This Mule Deer doe was one of 13 in the above buck's 'harem'. There were two good sized Mulie bucks with these gals
i-BdLgL4X-XL.jpg

We spent a good hour and 15min just watching the does migrate out of the woods, the buck(s) following and one buck 'looking for love'. He was hot on her trail but she was having none of that nonsense.
i-pvjQwCL-XL.jpg

Rusty waiting patiently to see what the next shot was going to be for him as this unfolded
i-LzNspPW-XL.jpg

These big boys can run....
i-6b8Vhw3-XL.jpg

We finally were running out of daylight so we started to head to the exit. Had to stop first for this last sunset of the trip...
i-cbWgHJ8-XL.jpg

Overall I think the trip was a successful 'get-away'. I was able to get my eagle shot and lift-off shot so I was pleased. I learned a lot about the habitat of birds and other critters, got to watch nature in all it's glory unfold from dawn to dusk, observed the cruel side of mother nature (eat or be eaten), came away with some good images, spent some quality time with Rusty, learned some new techniques photographing, fell in love with a lens..........

......and when I got home bought another camera body. Doh!

This is just a small sample of what I shot. You can click HERE to see the full gallery (about 190 shots) with most images identified as to what the subject content is. I can't thank TexasShadow enough for assisting with the bird identifications. I learned a lot from our exchanges.

I'm not sure I'll become a bird photographer, but I have a small body of work that all I can do is upgrade the images as time and opportunity permit. I think my next adventure is off to the Jedi Transition to shoot military aircraft. But I'll need that 200-400mm f/4 (or more) to do that. :sun:

Hope you enjoyed a little slice of what I saw through my lens recently. I sure had fun. I'm sure Rusty will be along shortly with his body of work.

Nice pics!!!! Personally I like your last shot posted the best. With the reflection photo game up now, you post any of those and the judge will have a hard time picking a winner. Now, go RIDE!!!

Wow! Some really nice images Scott. I’m glad y’all had lots of birds to shoot. It’s so much fun trying to capture those guys. Off to see your gallery.

Almost forgot, what did you get? D850?

He got a D500. He saw the advantage I had with my crop body. Lots of Nikon shooters out there had a D500 with a long lens and a full frame with something else on it.

My pictures, of course, are very similar since I was standing next to Scott most of the time. I'll start another thread for mine when I get done processing them. I shot some video too. So I'll concentrate on what I did different when I post.

What I find funny is that I do shoot birds on a regular basis, but so far the pictures I've edited and are my favorites are the landscapes. :doh:

Shots I like,

"So then Marge says...", "Oh my goodness! I can't believe it! Then what happened!?"
i-3qcvXMS-XL.jpg

"Has anyone seen my husband? He's about your size, white, dark bill, kind of nervous..."
i-v9PxxXX-XL.jpg

Sometimes you're the eater. Sometimes you're the eaten...
i-GgxGc44-XL.jpg

I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something I like about this shot. Maybe it is the amazing order in what looks like total chaos...? It astounds me that they aren't whacking each other silly and knocking each other out of the sky with their beating wings!
i-2K7PF2v-XL.jpg

It looks a tad dark to me, but that could be my monitor here at work. I've not calibrated it. Regardless, it is a cool shot.

Awesome shots. Really enjoyed all of it. Blue Herons and Great Blue Herons are among my favorites. We often see them here on the West Texas Plains stationed in the Playa Lakes that dot our landscape, and they are quite accomplished fishermen, and frog giggers. Your picture proves that for sure.

Scott, another fantastic set of pictures. That is what I would call a target rich environment. Bet it took hours and a lot of work for you and Rusty to get those shots. Lugging those lenses around must have been a bonus workout.

We lugged them in a F150 at under 10mph. :rofl: It was a rolling bird blind.

Beautiful ... pictures and the fact that there are places where nature still thrives. Very inspiring.

Dave

:thumb:

Have you ever watched a heron or crane finish off a bullfrog? I remember watching on at Hueco Tanks years ago, from only about 40 feet away. After a 5-minute battle, he finally tossed the frog, tilted his mouth up, and started the amphibian along its final plunge through the neck & to the stomach. You could see the legs still putting up a fight. It was pretty comical -- well, unless you were the frog.

In my shot you can see some of the beak sticking through the frog. I have a more graphic one, but this is sharper.

IMD_2840-XL.jpg

:clap: Wonderful images, Scott!!!

Those are some amazing pictures. I've always been a fan of the sandhills. There is a sandhill roost on the Katy Prairie . I am hoping to take Deb out this year so we can see them.

I love the fully plumed spoonbill . Those things never get any love. The Woody is also amazing. Great job.

Seriously...dude!

Wonder if those were blue winged teal (teal are smaller sized ducks). .sometime i take a decent pic with my phone but you guys are intentionally going for perfect shots and succeeding. I'm beginning to understand.

Those are some amazing pictures. I've always been a fan of the sandhills. There is a sandhill roost on the Katy Prairie . I am hoping to take Deb out this year so we can see them.

I love the fully plumed spoonbill . Those things never get any love. The Woody is also amazing. Great job.

Didn't I invite you to join us? I knew you had vacation to kill. We could have used some sharp eyes along and some identification help.

Loved it all, Scott. Thanks for taking us along. :clap:

I'd definitely say try out some of the budget zooms before taking the plunge on the 200-400. See if the difference in cost is worth it.

What amazing pics!!!! Erik mentioned that these would be great photos for a magazine. I bet you could venture into photographing birds like you do cyclist.

Back