• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bought insurance Texas wants more info

SL350

Reaction score
1969 CT90 project bike....

I just got an official letter from Texas Sure which is part of the Texas DMV I guess. The letter says that I have insurance for a vehicle not registered. Then they list the CT90 project that I got for $300 that is still needing a headlight (hard to find) and a couple of other fixes to pass inspection.

I only insured it because I was dropping a bike I sold, but I did think I would be able to get a green sheet soon as this was a "Bill of Sale" bike.

Long story short I get this long form and have to choose from 4 descriptions, none of which fits my situation. I have 10 days to check a box and sign with "according to Texas Penal Code 37.10".

My choices are

1. My insurance is wrong.
2. My registration is incorrect.
3. The vehicle is registered in another state.
4. I sold the vehicle. I notified my insurance company AND filed the Vehicle Transfer Notification.

None of these fit. Until I find a suitable headlight and get the bike ready for inspection it is doing fine on private property. Nothing I am doing is illegal yet here I am.

Last edited:
I've received that letter before also. I just hand wrote "off highway vehicle, not registered".

I also received a similar letter from my insurance company and answered a similar way for my untitled vintage MX bike. I have original MSO to prove ownership.

Is it really so unusual that someone insures their untitled/unregistered bikes? I pay about $60 a year for liability and fire/theft on each dirt bike. Well worth the peace of mind in case my garage gets cleaned out by fire or a thief.

_

That I did nothing wrong, and neither did you, why do we have to take the time to stamp and mail this? What are they actually doing for the state by badgering someone WITH insurance? I should not have to pay a penny for a stamp.

State is fishing for revenue. I guess people buy vehicles and insure and drive without transfering the title and registering. When an official letter comes from the state they then known eyes are on them and might spur them to cough up the funds.

_

I just don't expect it from Texas. This is something right out of CA.

I got the same letter for my TTR 230. More paperwork and it says right on the face of the document the model of the bike. Sheesh. There's some money savings right there, the state could have saved by not send this form to off road vehicles.

One more step towards Idiocracy.

You know I get that they need to see insurance WHEN someone registers. But isn't digging through our insurance records a bit of an invasion of privacy? What if you never wanted anyone to know you have a dirt bike and it never left your property? It is no different than them coming onto your property and searching your barn. I thought that was illegal search and seizure? Wonder if it is just waiting for a challenge by offroad bikers?

I have an XL350 on my policy that is titled, but hasn't been registered in over year. It's cheaper to insure four bikes than three.

Welcome to the world of "What's in the database is reality. What a rational person considers reality matters not."

Software that isn't written to account for every possibility within the application will certainly be problematic. Here we have a couple of other possibilities that could have had check boxes provided, database entries for antiques and off-road only vehicles that might not necessarily be registered.

Clearly, the state went with the low bid on the programming, or more likely, the spec defining the scope of work to be performed wasn't written well. So, the database filter has no way to account for off road only, or projects that aren't roadworthy, etc. and that are perfectly legit, yet fall outside what was defined.

It is intrusive. Not to mention how it establishes the presumption of violation, leaving the burden upon the off-roader or project builder to prove innocence.

The biggest problem I have with programs like this is how they encourage people to avoid responsibility, because "as long as Big Brother is watching I don't have to manage my own affairs."

There are merits to encouraging people to think. This kind of thing will net the opposite effect in the long run.

I got the same letter for my CR, just called them yesterday and said it is insured dirt bike and won't be driven on the street till next summer. They said no problem and I didn't have to do anything else.

they see that you are paying insurance on a bike that is not in the system, so you could be riding around on a bike with another states plates on it beyond the time period allowed to transfer a vehicle.

or there is something wrong with your registration.

or you are paying for insurance on a motorcycle when you don't have to.

When did this start? This is my first notice and I usually do insure bikes when I get them even if it takes a year or two to overhaul and get them ready to ride.

Yes, it does assumes violation and expect me to prove otherwise, doesn't it? I guess the IRS started the guilty until proven innocent and now it is true even here with old and off-road bikes. I can't imagine this being a big revenue generator and ever paying off this lowest bidder.

Since I am not guilty of anything I will not buy a stamp and mail their form in, especially since I don't match any of the check boxes. A phone call could work but I found out the hard way that any phone call does not hold up in court. You got to have it in writing or it didn't happen.

Last edited:
I think it's because the state can access your insurance coverage, when you get pulled over for a traffic violation, at the registration office, and who knows what else. The clerk at the county clerk's office waved away the insurance card I has searched for high and low. She said she could see on her screen I was insured.

The policeman who pulled me over for speeding when I was on the way to the hospital hoping to arrive before my new granddaughter did, could also see my insurance coverage while he called the hospital to see if my daughter was actually in labor. :roll: yes, I got a warning and a lecture. :shame:

So now we have to explain why our insured off road vehicles are unregistered when they already have that information, it's a brown title even.

And we have to keep digging around for these proof of insurance cards even though they apparently already have this information.

:loco:

What happens if you do nothing and throw the letter in the trash, what can they do, you are doing nothing wrong.

What happens if you do nothing and throw the letter in the trash, what can they do, you are doing nothing wrong.

I accidentally dropped a slice of pizza on the one I just received regarding a previously sold vehicle. Figured they didn't want it back with pepperoni stains so I tossed it.

I recently got stopped for speeding and the officer was very upset that I didn't have the vehicle registration documents with me. When I pointed out that he had a very expensive computer in his car paid for by tax payers like myself that can confirm the registration and insurance of my vehicle he got quite rude and insisted that the law required me to carry the documents. I pointed out that if the car got stolen they would have the documents and that would not help me. He eventually checked everything on his computer, gave me the ticket and we parted our ways. I still refuse to carry the registration documents, I always have proof of insurance on me, but we pay a fortune to the state to register our vehicles and to the police to have these computers so they can use them as they intended, to check vehicle status.

Gary

Canned my notices months ago and haven't heard anything ........yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carry registration is for commercial vehicles.

I have a vn750 that hasn't been ridden in years but on insurance for theft/damage purposes. Its cheap so haven't removed it. I wonder where my notice is so I can tell them I don't care. Lol

I got one of those letters. I bought a bike from CA and had to get it inspected before TX would issue a tag. I had insurance go into effect to coincide with my date of purchase to have coverage for the CA to TX shipping. I responded to the letter with the truth and it was tagged within 10 days and that's the last I heard of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i got a similar letter that alerted me to the fact that my policy and registration documents had different VIN's

a quick check pointed out that there was a clerical error and i, then, realized that if i had been involved in an incident, i wouldn't have been covered

since i have been involved in an incident where the AT FAULT vehicle had only minimum coverage, it alarmed me to think i might have been caught WITHOUT ANY COVERAGE

for those of you who do get one of these notices, JUST CALL THE NUMBER LISTED and explain your position

doesn't take long and you may be really glad to have any discrepancies cleared up, before you need coverage

sw

http://www.texassure.com/Insuranceverification.html

http://www.texassure.com/consumernotices.html

I'd never heard of this so Googled "Texas Sure" and found the above website. Personally I'm in favor of the stated goal of reducing the number of uninsured motorists on TX roads, so many law-abiding folks get screwed by those that aren't in this regard.

Yeah, the database may not be perfect but from the posts above it sounds like there's minimal hassles involved in clearing up the described legitimate situations/legal exceptions.

IMHO this is one case where info collection/sharing/use may actually benefit the small guy; until I hear instances of really problematic implementation/execution I'm gonna be supporting this one.

a quick check pointed out that there was a clerical error and i, then, realized that if i had been involved in an incident, i wouldn't have been covered

sw

Really? Wife had a wreck with a guy whose insurance had two numbers on the VIN swapped and they covered the accident. I guess it depends on the insurance company.

Back