• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brake--gravity bleed

I rebuilt the front brake caliper and master cylinder so had a completely dry system. I did the standard bleeding routine but still thought it felt soft. With the bike on the kickstand I turned the front wheel all the way to the right so the master cylinder was higher than the line, pumped the brake a few times and held it with a wire. Sure enough next morning the soft feeling was gone. So I vote, effective, free, and easy enough to try.

I bleed mine with a Mity Vac, but it never feels just right until after the 'gravity' part-I assume you mean having the brake lever tied in the 'squeezed' position overnight. This last line replacement, I did this three nights before it felt perfect.

None of the above. I watched a mech(TV program) remove the master cyl cover, open the caliper bleed valve and let the fluid run out as he filled the MC. Then he closed the bleed, topped off the MC and replaced the lid. Done. Seems too easy.

For whatever reason, that has never worked for me. Seems like it should but just opening the bleeder just lets a small volume of fluid out and then somehow the thing is in equilibrium. I can only guess it has to do with the friction in the lines and capillary action or something. :shrug:

I’d try the reverse bleed method and pump it in from the bottom. That might be the trick. Just need to keep it clean for what pushes outa the master cylinder

None of the above. I watched a mech(TV program) remove the master cyl cover, open the caliper bleed valve and let the fluid run out as he filled the MC. Then he closed the bleed, topped off the MC and replaced the lid. Done. Seems too easy.

Richard Nichols was a mechanic that worked for me years ago and he bled brakes that way more often than not. I've worked with a lot of mechanics over the years and Nick was undoubtedly the best. I've tried it a couple of times but I'm either too impatient or I can't establish a good enough flow.

Back