• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brand new XR650L has no oil

Reaction score
I just joined the forum a few weeks ago after buying a brand new 2019 XR650L. I have put 106 miles on the bike so far. When I checked the oil (followed proper procedure) no oil showed on the dip stick at all! Even screwed in, oil does not register. Any ideas or suggestions? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks.

Uh... that is crazy. I am wondering if the shop just didn't fill it completely? A new bike should not be burning or losing oil at that kind of rate. I'd call the dealership manager and let him/her know. If they did not fill it properly, that could have ruined the engine. It might be worth draining it (or letting dealer do it) just to see how much actually is in there.

The service manager is coming to my house tomorrow (Sunday) to see what he thinks. He was a tech. before service manager, so hopefully knows his stuff. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it. I'll always worry about it dieing prematurely. Thanks for the reply.

The service manager is coming to my house tomorrow (Sunday) to see what he thinks. He was a tech. before service manager, so hopefully knows his stuff. I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with it. I'll always worry about it dieing prematurely. Thanks for the reply.

If they have another one, you might try pushing for them to swap them out for you. I know they will resist like crazy, but like you said, there just is that total lack of confidence now... That sucks for a new bike!

I would call the dealership and let them know ASAP. Someone there might have missed that on the final check before del

You need to let them know that Sunday when they come to check it out. What ever you do do not ride it anymore. I bet somebody just messed up and did not do the final check before you signed your documents.

It has roller bearing bottom end, not babbit type bearings.
So at 100 miles, I doubt you've damaged the bottom end.

Did it smoke?
Was it clattering or hard to shift?
Was the clutch grabby or slip?

If it was running and riding normal, I doubt you have anything to worry about.
Those plants are pretty bullet proof.

But ... this is leverage you can use in order to get complimentary and routine inspections done.
Oil and filters, valve checks, etc.

But ... it would be the same service department that prepped the bike initially.

My guess is the service manager is going to show up with 2 quarts of oil. If so, make him put in a little at a time and make up your mind when it was too dangerously low. He won’t have any authority to hand you a new bike so try to get his opinion before he starts so at least you have leverage with the dealer if both quarts go in.

I would put a oil pan under both the frame and motor oil plugs. Drain the oil and measure it with manager standing there (should be about two quarts) . Oil in frame sometimes takes 10 min or so then turn bike off stand straight up pull dipstick wipe off insert but not screw in then check. Should be near upper oil level mark. If you check a cold oil in frame it will probably not register on dipstick. Read manual. If I drained oil and it was less than close to two quarts, I want a new bike. Dry sumps can be tricky to check. Also buy a filter before manager gets there and change and inspect filter and oil for metal. I'm betting oil is ok. Some of the oil migrates to sump after setting awhile. I would not let that bike out of my sight if he wants to haul it back to shop. If it drains out two quarts go ahead and change oil and filter. Keep us informed. I would not let him just add oil to bring the level up. Also keep old oil and filter in case an analysis from a lab is needed. Like I said I bet you are ok, but those boys are going to try and cover their as if there is a problem I shined a light into oil filler and can see oil below dipstick when cold.

Last edited:
Wow:huh: could they really have done that?

I don't put ANYTHING past the prep folks at a dealership...

I bought a brand new VFR 800 from Stubbs in Houston. Before I left the parking lot I happened to notice that they had stripped out a mounting screw for the windscreen. I pointed it out to the salesman and they didn't want to fix it. I insisted they fix it. Then they complained about how expensive it would be and wanted me to pay for it. Then I told him I would not take delivery and would cancel the deal. Then they wanted me to drive all the way back down to Houston from Huntsville rather than ship me the parts. Again, I insisted or no deal. They finally and grudgingly gave in. Once I got the part, it was a quick and easy fix. I was miffed that the prep guy KNEW he had goobered the screw and tried to pass it off to see if I'd notice or not. Had I not noticed it and got it home, it would have totally been on me and I doubt I would have been able to get them to pay for the parts, which was around $400!

I won't even go into the horrid details of negligence at a few other dealers that leaves me wondering how they stay in business!? However, one of them DID NOT stay in business and was gone in about a year from the time they opened. It is ironic that they claimed they were going to be the top dealership in Texas... :doh:

With the dry sump system as long as there was some oil in the frame you did no harm in 100 miles. The dealer is still at fault and needs to make it right. What is right? That is what you need to decide.

You could use something longer than the dip stick to determine how low it is, before the service manager comes, just so you know.

With the dry sump system as long as there was some oil in the frame you did no harm in 100 miles. The dealer is still at fault and needs to make it right. What is right? That is what you need to decide.

You could use something longer than the dip stick to determine how low it is, before the service manager comes, just so you know.
Totally agree but wouldn't you have to heat it up first before checking?

Yes you would need to run it first. The damage is done if there is any. I would crank it for a minute or two, then kill it and check it. I would then decide based on that how hard to push service manager and dealer in general.

Agree completely. I couldn't see mine on DS when I got it a few weeks ago. It was barely on the stick after heating and took only less than a 1/2 qt. My bike is used, but being cool weather it didn't matter if I had rode it 500 miles. I had old 60's Triumph with oil in frame, it is good but weird. My Yamaha SR500 dry sump would flood the crankcase after sitting a few weeks if you added oil when it wasn't really low, and I would have to drain and pour back in frame just to start. It had check valve leakage. I do like frame oil for cooling in Tejas. summers.

If it were out of oil, the valve train would be clattering, gears would be grinding and the clutch would be really grabby.
A dry sump motor doesn't take a lot of oil to adequately lubricate vital components of a single cylinder engine.
And a roller bearing motor doesn't require a tremendous amount of continuous lubrication at low loads.
The extra capacity is for cooling, settling and longer service intervals.

Here's my brand new xrl with 1.2 miles on it. Never trust the dealer on anything. Go over it yourself.

If it were out of oil, the valve train would be clattering, gears would be grinding and the clutch would be really grabby.
A dry sump motor doesn't take a lot of oil to adequately lubricate vital components of a single cylinder engine.
And a roller bearing motor doesn't require a tremendous amount of continuous lubrication at low loads.
The extra capacity is for cooling, settling and longer service intervals.
That's part of the problem, the oil's cooling function. If it was low on oil, it seems like the engine might have overheated. Could this cause premature wear on internal parts?

Agree completely. I couldn't see mine on DS when I got it a few weeks ago. It was barely on the stick after heating and took only less than a 1/2 qt. My bike is used, but being cool weather it didn't matter if I had rode it 500 miles. I had old 60's Triumph with oil in frame, it is good but weird. My Yamaha SR500 dry sump would flood the crankcase after sitting a few weeks if you added oil when it wasn't really low, and I would have to drain and pour back in frame just to start. It had check valve leakage. I do like frame oil for cooling in Tejas. summers.
Yep, I'm new to the frame/oil deal. I've been on Harley's for quite a while but have owned dirt bikes in the past.

I don't put ANYTHING past the prep folks at a dealership...

I bought a brand new VFR 800 from Stubbs in Houston. Before I left the parking lot I happened to notice that they had stripped out a mounting screw for the windscreen. I pointed it out to the salesman and they didn't want to fix it. I insisted they fix it. Then they complained about how expensive it would be and wanted me to pay for it. Then I told him I would not take delivery and would cancel the deal. Then they wanted me to drive all the way back down to Houston from Huntsville rather than ship me the parts. Again, I insisted or no deal. They finally and grudgingly gave in. Once I got the part, it was a quick and easy fix. I was miffed that the prep guy KNEW he had goobered the screw and tried to pass it off to see if I'd notice or not. Had I not noticed it and got it home, it would have totally been on me and I doubt I would have been able to get them to pay for the parts, which was around $400!

I won't even go into the horrid details of negligence at a few other dealers that leaves me wondering how they stay in business!? However, one of them DID NOT stay in business and was gone in about a year from the time they opened. It is ironic that they claimed they were going to be the top dealership in Texas... :doh:
Crazy the stuff some dealers will do. I work part time at a H-D dealer. We rarely have techs make mistakes with striping threads. Sometimes they will put a tiny scratch on the paint, but we always fix the problem for the customer. I guess I'm expecting the same type of service from the Honda dealer. If they made a mistake, I want them to own up to it and make it right. I don't want to be worried about this bike for the next ten years.

Wow:huh: could they really have done that?

I had a 2001 TL1000S I picked up. It felt odd when I turned and the suspension seemed overly harsh. When I got home it had 58 psi or so in the front tire, 40 something in the rear. I have also had loose bars, loose axles, etc. I never ride them much until I "bolt it" as Mitch would say.

I would put a oil pan under both the frame and motor oil plugs. Drain the oil and measure it with manager standing there (should be about two quarts) . Oil in frame sometimes takes 10 min or so then turn bike off stand straight up pull dipstick wipe off insert but not screw in then check. Should be near upper oil level mark. If you check a cold oil in frame it will probably not register on dipstick. Read manual. If I drained oil and it was less than close to two quarts, I want a new bike. Dry sumps can be tricky to check. Also buy a filter before manager gets there and change and inspect filter and oil for metal. I'm betting oil is ok. Some of the oil migrates to sump after setting awhile. I would not let that bike out of my sight if he wants to haul it back to shop. If it drains out two quarts go ahead and change oil and filter. Keep us informed. I would not let him just add oil to bring the level up. Also keep old oil and filter in case an analysis from a lab is needed. Like I said I bet you are ok, but those boys are going to try and cover their as if there is a problem I shined a light into oil filler and can see oil below dipstick when cold.
Great ideas. I'll have a clean container to drain the oil into. At the minimum, if I'm satisfied the oil was not too low, I hope to get some free services. I think I'm entitled to that. They really need to do something to make me feel comfortable with my situation.

I had a 2001 TL1000S I picked up. It felt odd when I turned and the suspension seemed overly harsh. When I got home it had 58 psi or so in the front tire, 40 something in the rear. I have also had loose bars, loose axles, etc. I never ride them much until I "bolt it" as Mitch would say.
I'd say my bike definitely needs a good boltin'!

Back