• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brian & Tim Tackle Talimena

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
My buddy Brian & I spent three days, two nights, riding the Talimena Highway. We left Sunday and got back Tuesday. Sadly, the leaves hadn't really started changing color yet (last time I went, I was late). But the riding was great.

We got off right after church.
2014-10191_zps7e3d50ee.jpg

Our route north was around the Metroplex & out I-30 to Greenville, then up through Paris & Commerce. Beautiful country, and a relaxing drive. Even the I-30 part wasn’t bad, except for the exploding truck tire.

Dinner at El Rancho (I forgot to take a picture there) was good, although reflux kept me up all night afterwards. We met a married couple from Ft Worth who told us somebody had asked them “Do you know the Ebola people?”

Monday morning, we hit the highway.
2014-10202_zpsa40a73ae.jpg

2014-10203_zpsee550d9e.jpg

2014-10205_zpsd44cadc1.jpg

Nice view from the top.
2014-10208_zpscb5c5863.jpg

Brian motoring along the ridgeline. Behind the camera, I'm sitting on the bike on a downslope, keeping my right foot on the rear brake, and trying to get the shot off before a car came over the hill crest behind me. Riding is safe. Photography ---- depends.
2014-10209_zpsb162c7e0.jpg

At the Winding Stair NF Campground. Sadly, the well ran dry a few years ago, so camping there is a bit inconvenient these days.
2014-102010_zps4255da38.jpg

2014-102011_zps76f62aec.jpg

Had to get shots of the bikes in action. Not the most photogenic curve, but hey…..
2014-102014_zps49de54bc.jpg

2014-102019_zps59b97b97.jpg

After gassing up in Mena, we headed north & east, through Mount Ida, then south to Glenwood. Then we took county roads back to Mena. Here’s a shot of the Ouachita River.
2014-102021_zps8c8a403a.jpg

Here’s the route we followed.
Talimenamap_zps9a43965d.jpg

Unfortunately, Brian’s crazy Fayetteville relatives found out he was in Arkansas and couldn’t stand the fact that he was having a good time. So they created a family crisis, and Brian was forced to break camp Monday evening and go pay a visit.
2014-102025_zps80d61dd3.jpg

Lonely camp with only one bike, one tent, this evening.
2014-102027_zps24308e87.jpg

I got up in the morning, broke camp, and took the “fast” route home – west, along Lake Sardis, and out to Hwy 69. I did hit an unusual detour. A crew was laying a pipe under the two-lane highway, and had bulldozed a path down an embankment, around the work area, and back up – and all through slippery, wet red clay. No mishap, but it was slick as snot. Once on 69, it was a straight shot south back to DFW.
2014-10211_zpsc35c86af.jpg

Sardis Lake. I had to rush this picture because I was sitting on a causeway. And my Nikon's autofocus picked that moment to go nuts. So the focus is off. Sure was pretty, though.
2014-10213_zps6dc99109.jpg

The new Wee ran and handled beautifully. Gas mileage was around 47 mpg with panniers and a load of gear tied to the tail, and 52 mpg when we were out sightseeing.

Nice pics like normal. So jealous,like normal! Glad the new Strom is doing so well.

We still need to do a camera weekend, Drew. Maybe next time, the weather will cooperate.

Nice trip. I just passed across there a few a hours ago and all the leaves are still intact. A few colors, but not much.

On a side note, for others headed that way, the chip seal job from two years back on the Oklahoma side is really deteriorating.

Tim...really enjoying those riding pants you passed my way. Thanks.

The advantage of living in the DFW area compared to Houston is that you are closer to Arkansas... I would go very often.
Nice pictures and riding area!

Great report Tim..... One of these days I need to get up that way, and your report just sort of nudges me that direction a bit more.

Nice trip. I just passed across there a few a hours ago and all the leaves are still intact. A few colors, but not much.

On a side note, for others headed that way, the chip seal job from two years back on the Oklahoma side is really deteriorating.

Tim...really enjoying those riding pants you passed my way. Thanks.

Yeah, there's a lousy pavement stretch just before you get to the Arkansas side. And unfortunately, it's in an area with some very tight curves. The combination of deterioration, loose gravel, and that big footwide groove that runs for about 2 miles, all add up to a need to be very careful through that stretch.

Glad the riding pants are working out for you.

How were the night temps? Are you still enjoying your new tent?

Nights only dipped into the mid 50s. Actually, I carried my old Eureka tent because it's better ventilated. And even that got a bit stuffy at times. Looking forward to getting the new tent & the new bike acquainted at some point.

Nights only dipped into the mid 50s. Actually, I carried my old Eureka tent because it's better ventilated. And even that got a bit stuffy at times. Looking forward to getting the new tent & the new bike acquainted at some point.

Hopefully no crazy wind storms when you camped? That was nuts!:eek2:

Hopefully no crazy wind storms when you camped? That was nuts!:eek2:

The weather was perfect. Actually, LAST time I went to Talihina, the wind was bad the whole time. I rode home in 30+ mph winds; that became especially scary once I got onto I-30 and I was being pushed out of my lane by the heaviest gusts. :eek2::eek2:

God has blessed us riders with some wonderful riding weather here recently. Great time to be a motorcyclist.

Great pictures and beautiful landscapes! Have any of you taken any of the gravel roads around that part of Oklahoma and AR? I'm thinking of doing a weekend ride from Dallas but I'm trying to identify interesting gravel roads between DFW and Talimena.

Back