• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brian's (Texas T) wife, Brenda

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
from Facebook:

Some of you may have already heard this but it will be new info for most of you. This week Brenda, my wife of 30 years, had multiple strokes and is currently in ICU at Chandler Regional Hospital. She is doing well at this point but we have a long road ahead of us. I have created a site here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/brendathorn
where you can see my updates and respond with words of encouragement if you so choose. It is a free site but donations are accepted to keep it running. I decided to do the site because it has become too difficult to call some people, text other people, and email yet others. You can choose to be notified each time I update the page.

I'm sure that any thoughts and prayers would be appreciated by both Brian and Brenda.

Hi Chuck,

I was going to link-up w/Brian this past summer during my ride to Arizona. He told me Brenda was contemplating hip replacement surgery, so this news is a shock to me.

Prayers sent to Brian and Brenda.

RB

RB,

She did have hip replacement surgery, I want to say a week or so ago and was doing very well. The report above was a shock to me as well.

RB,

She did have hip replacement surgery, I want to say a week or so ago and was doing very well. The report above was a shock to me as well.

Thanks for the update!

I don't know the details of her current health, but my .0001 cents worth is to take mild doses of anticoagulants for her age following surgery such as hip replacement to prevent clotting since physical movement is often limited after that type of surgery. She might have had a ischemic attack which can be pretty mild and full recovery is to be expected....however hemorrhagic stroke in the certain portion of the brain etc. can be very serious. I tell folks, if you're stomach can handle, chew on an aspirin a day with a meal, uncoated if possible.

Let's pray for a full recovery.

RB

Wow. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck for a speedy and complete recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Very sorry to hear this.
Hope she will have a full recovery.

From mobile

Hang in there Brian.....God has a plan for all of us whether it is what we want or not. Elaine and I will pray for you and Brenda in earnest. God bless both of you.

Not much to say - prayers going out for Brenda and Brian. Brian was one of many who stepped to coordinate a rescue for WhiteyTrashed last month at the behest of MsBehavin and myself; one which proved unnecessary, but which equally proved that there is no shortage of people who care. Y'all take care, and we're pulling for both of you.

Chuck, thank you for starting the thread. Andrew, thank you for letting me know it was here. All, thank you for the prayers and the positive karma.

I haven't seen many of you since the Hutto Pie Run of 2010 when we rode a SaddleSore 1000 to have lunch with y'all.
d70_8583cq.JPG

Brenda's in the white shirt, I'm in the black.
HuttoTexasT.jpg

All the details are in the link that Chuck provided at the very top, but the short story is that she will be moving to a rehab center today for Physical, Occupational, and Speech therapy. For how long? Hard to say at this point.

Thanks again, everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the update,all the best to you and Brenda. We will keep you in our prayers.

After a week in rehab she has made a lot of improvement. Speech is the slowest to improve, but progress is being made. She has walked on a walker with two therapists on her sides over 100 feet in one session.

She is now on solid foods but still on thickened liquids until we can get another barium swallow test for her.

She wants to go home NOW! but I'm guessing another 2-3 weeks. We should get an updated prognosis tomorrow afternoon. And then when we get home it is unknown how long it will take her to get back to a semblance of "normal". We'll just play the hand we were dealt and do the best we can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear she is improving. We are keeping you guys in our nightly prayers with the kids. Do update us occasionally as the kids really like to hear how folks we pray for are doing.

Good to hear about the progress; we will continue praying and wishing for a full recovery.

Sent mobile

Hang in there brother....there are a LOT of people praying for you and Brenda. :sun:

Back