• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bringing back some old Memories.

Reaction score
First Name
David
One of the few guys that could take a 500 to its limits. Bailey, Wardy and Ricky Johnson come to mind as well.

mail-7.jpeg

You might remember Shaun Kelly? He was a mini phenom. Actually had a factory Yamaha 60 that was unreal. Then an 80. His old man ruined it for him and then he got into the weeds with other things. other local Kirth Duffy. He could beat anyone at Rio if he was on. Some great memories back in the 70's. I saw Broc Glover on the 1st YZ 125 with a radiator on the front number plate. DeCoster, Lackey, Wise, Wardy on a cool XR75 Marty Smith. You know a guy named Danny Scheffler? Greg Howard?

Rio finish line and holeshot pic of '82 125 expert.... pictured in holeshot pic are Ken Fox, Alley Semar, Jerry Surber Jr., Brian Taylor, Terry Thomas, Mike Clement, unknown, Chris Wells, Steve Gauthier, and James Baldridge:
Surber went on to own Rio and then Mosier Valley in DFW.

Attachments

• RioHoleshot.jpg
    RioHoleshot.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 409
  • scan-1.jpg
    scan-1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 398
You might remember Shaun Kelly? He was a mini phenom. Actually had a factory Yamaha 60 that was unreal. Then an 80. His old man ruined it for him and then he got into the weeds with other things. other local Kirth Duffy. He could beat anyone at Rio if he was on. Some great memories back in the 70's. I saw Broc Glover on the 1st YZ 125 with a radiator on the front number plate. DeCoster, Lackey, Wise, Wardy on a cool XR75 Marty Smith. You know a guy named Danny Scheffler? Greg Howard?
. I do remember the name Shawn Kelly. The fast kids in the 80Cc class In 1980 were Rickie Hull and Kit Vick. The pros came out for the Trans-Am / Trans USA... until about 1982šŸ˜©. Got To meet David Bailey ... what a nice guy.

Seeing pros up close and personal is eye opening. Remember a young phenom from Ok Robby Reynard ? I saw he and Guy Cooper go head to head a few times at my local track back in the late 80s / early nineties timeframe. Raynard on an 80 and Cooper on a 125 /250. Amazing what they did on that track and how humbling it was to the rest of us mortals.

1896737_10205861979448113_7029523499266456362_n.jpg

Here's a "personal" oldie that showed on facebook memories today. Not sure what year but it is a LONG time ago! Caney Creek I guess.

106317772_759653748108706_9014000974901525461_n.jpg

I've been riding since 1967, dirt since 1970 and never rode a Maico or C-Z, weird.

That bike looks good enough to eat. The only Euro bike I rode was a Husky. It was my neighbors and I couldn't start it or touch the ground. WR 250.
74_WR250a.jpg

I'd give my kidney for that bike

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
The suspension will take your kidney. There was a reason why we rode with kidney belts.

My first big bore dirt bike was a '74 WR400. Shocks were upgraded to best of that time Cornutt's and laid down some but still flying across the desert and hitting a g-out without warning was teeth rattling.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

The suspension will take your kidney. There was a reason why we rode with kidney belts.

My first big bore dirt bike was a '74 WR400. Shocks were upgraded to best of that time Cornutt's and laid down some but still flying across the desert and hitting a g-out without warning was teeth rattling.

If I don't have a kidney, no loss

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

You have to be OLD to remember Curnutts! They were on a lot of the Euro bikes back them. My dad had a cool YZ 250 and it had them on it with a custom lay down mod on the rear swingarm....They are still used today....good stuff!

That bike looks good enough to eat. The only Euro bike I rode was a Husky. It was my neighbors and I couldn't start it or touch the ground. WR 250.View attachment 282798
Looks like mine, lol. Enjoyed that bike! Rode a 100 mile enduro on it. Sort of. I finished but camp was almost empty. I guess back then they didn't sweep the course. Ran out of gas close to camp, walked back got gas and retrieved the bike. great memories.

Back