• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bringing the next generation along...

Now if Beth gets reinfected, the whole family will be rolling on 2 wheels!

We've been brainstorming and kicking around ideas about how I might quit my real job and do something moto related that would let us travel together. However, feeding five people, maintaining and fueling five bikes, and paying for even the cheapest lodging on a daily basis would be serious $$!! We've even talked about having only 2-3 bikes and something like a 4 X 4 SUV that could go interesting places, but I don't know that this would be any less expensive. Right now I am working with Sarah and Daniel to try to get some kind of MotoVlog going in the hopes that it might grow into something they could do for a living. Then maybe I could quit my job and ride their coat tails ;-)

So back to the stories...

Daniel had to work Friday night so he had no idea I had taken the KTM 530 out for a ride. I know he would have wanted to go. He was both excited and annoyed that I went without him :lol2: He's been dying to get that bike back together and running. I slept in Saturday because I was up late working Friday night after the ride. He was out doing something Saturday and got him shortly after I rolled out of bed, "Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...?" I mean, I hadn't even finished my morning RedBull yet! :argh: I told him to get lost for a while. About 30 minutes later, "Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...? Can we go riding...?" :suicide: It is overcast, damp, and 50 F. My right shoulder is screaming about my throttle habits on the 530... :huh2: I've been hitting the ibuprofen like it was Halloween candy since last night. It doesn't seem to be helping much. Daniel gets distracted a few hours and when he finally comes back I just tell him, "Maybe tomorrow..."

So I am standing outside the sanctuary moments after the end of the church service and he is just standing there next to me with that ridiculous grin on his face that he gets when he is straining not to ask me if we can go riding :roll: The ladies head to lunch and we head to the house. It is pretty cold still, but at least the sun is out now, which makes a big difference mentally. We gear up, me adding extra layers because I absolutely hate being cold, and head out to the garage. Sarah is going to be doing school work all day so it will just be the two of us.

The last time we were riding Daniel kept having trouble with the kickstand safety switch killing the engine whenever the road got bumpy. There is a little magnet that screws to the stand. When the stand is up the magnet rests against the underside of a relay and it closes the circuit, letting the computer know the stand is up and it is okay to start the engine. Well... when hitting the bumpy stuff, the stand apparently bounces far enough away that the magnet is not strong enough to keep the relay activated, the computer thinks the stand is down, and it inconveniently kills the engine without regard to the fact that the bike is moving (which the ABS wheel speed sense detects). I'm thinking maybe KTM let the Junior engineers work on parts of this bike :doh: Last night, I did a 3D model of a little bracket to hold a small round magnet with slots for zip ties so it could be zip tied to the underside of the relay. Daniel removed the OEM magnet from the stand. So essentially the side stand safety has been disabled, fooling the computer into thinking the stand is in the up position all the time :thumb: And to think there are people worried about computers taking over the world someday!? :wary: So today's ride will be a test of our modification. Daniel also recently go his first GoPro, a Hero 9, and is DYING to try it out!

IMG_6143.jpg

He's wanting a double cheeseburger from CJ BBQ in College Station, which means we have to get moving in order to get there before 3:00pm. This means mostly paved roads with some dirt. We head out FM 247 North of town until we reach Pinedale Road and head West toward I-45. This is just a fun gravel road shortcut. It is the road I first took the 530 down the other night before deciding to keep riding. It doesn't take long to reach the other end, see that traffic has come to a crawl on I-45 North (likely an accident), and keep heading West on FM 1696 toward Bedias. 1696 is a nice ride, easy sweepers and pretty scenery. There are loads of dirt roads North and South of it that we ride all the time. In Bedias, we just keep heading West toward Iola. This stretch of 1696 is not as fun, being mostly straight with not much to look at along the way. We reach Iola right at 2:00pm and see that Mallet Brothers has just turned off their "OPEN" light. We cut through town and head out the far side on CR 108, hard pack with loose gravel and a handful of tight corners. Daniel has his GoPro running, but the battery is already almost dead because of other stuff he was doing before today, so we pull over when we reach CR 103 so he can swap it out for a fresh one.

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

With the new battery in place AND the camera turned on, we head South on 103 with me in the lead. It's good for him to eat some dust every now and then so he can appreciate the clear and clean air when he's leading :-P CR 103 is a nice ride, nothing technical, but it has some pretty scenery and fun corners near the South end of it before hitting CR 162 down in the Navasota River bottoms. If there has been a lot of rain of late, it is not uncommon to see a "Road Closed" barricade on 162 at this intersection for anyone wanting to continue West over the river. I have been back in here when the water was several feet deep. The rains the other night were not heavy enough to really do much, so it is open. I am always talking to Sarah and Daniel about watching for other vehicles on these backroads, especially on blind hills, blind corners, and intersections. There might have been a stop sign here at one time, but there isn't one now. Sure enough, as I am telling him how people out here pretty much assume they are the only ones on the road, an F150 blows through the intersection heading East :eek2:

This road is nice. It is bumpy because of often being under water, but the trees grow close to the road and the branches form a nice shadowy tunnel. There are multiple small bridges that cross little creeks that run near the river. They used to be those little two track wooden bridges, but some years back they all got replaced with nice big, wide, reliable, and characterless concrete bridges that will no doubt last forever. After crossing the river the road becomes Long Trussel Road, likely named after the former bridges. It has been a while since I last rode through the area, but further North there is another crossing that starts out as CR 102 and becomes Democrat Road. There were five bridges up there I think and they were all still wood when I last crossed there. I've no clue about the backstory on the "Democrat" name for the road. Once across the river, the road still runs within the river bottom area for a while before finally climbing noticeably to higher ground, eventually becoming FM 2038. There are some really nice homes/properties out here. When the big money started rolling into Tx A&M back in the 80s and 90s, the town exploded and LOTS of people started moving out toward the river. I graduated in 1991 and hardly recognize anything when I visit now!

We turn left onto Cobb Road to head on into College Station. This is just a chip sealed lane and a half road. About midway along its length I spot pastures on the left that are just covered in Blue Bonnets, Indian Paintbrushes and other flowers. The problem is they are in the distance and I just don't have a good camera to get a shot of them. I tell Daniel that we will stop here on the way back after lunch so I can at least give it try. Cobb Rd., tees into Grassbur Road, and we turn left again. After this, there are a series of fun 20 mph corners all the way to Elmo Wheedon, which we run on into town at Hwy 30. CJ's BBQ is just on the other side of the intersection on the left, so we don't actually have to go into town and deal with lots of traffic.

As always, the food is great at CJs!
IMG_6146.jpg

Somehow, Daniel scarfs down a massive double cheeseburger! I have a kids sausage wrap :mrgreen: I am a light eater when out riding. After lunch we just backtrack toward the Navasota River and I stop to try to get some pics of the flowers I mentioned earlier.

IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

So the image quality goes to garbage pretty quick with the zoom on the iPhone. The color looks washed out as well. Those aren't even the spots that are thick. Those spots are hard see from anywhere I can get to with the camera. I mention to Daniel that this kind of thing would be ideal for a drone, being able to get up high and look down over the pastures. We'd have to be careful about flying out over the property though. If the drone had an issue, it could be dicey going in after it unless we had permission, assuming we could even find out who to ask.

After crossing the Navasota River we keep running CR 162 across FM244, past the massive new solar farm, to CR 161 and then CR 157. I have run these roads countless times over years, even with Daniel on the bike, but now it is like he is seeing them all anew and for the first time since he is on his own bike. I am working on getting us South back near Roans Prairie so we can check on the Blue Bonnets just South of there. So we head South on FM 39 to Hwy 90. Just South of this intersection is a small community. I am not sure it even has a name. There is no Dairy Queen or Dollar General, so... :shrug: But it is where we pick up another fun dirt road, CR 179 which starts out running next to the Burlington Northern Sante Fe rail line for a bit before they part ways and we continue South.

There is a section of this road that used to be less traveled and less maintained. It was sandy and loose, quite fun. Years ago Sarah and I led a group of adventure riders through here that we'd picked up in Shiro and convinced to follow us to CJs for lunch. I think there were around 10 of them on various 650 sized bikes. We got to the North end of the road and soon realized only 1 rider was still with us. We went back to find mayhem :lol2: Apparently one rider wiped out in the sand, then another in response to the first, and it was like dominoes. I think there were only 1-2 that did not go down. We got them all righted and on their way, and soon enjoyed a nice lunch with them. Now... the road has been "improved". Gravel has been brought in and there is barely any sand left. The trees are still in close so there is the tunnel effect, which Daniel has decided he really likes. Once past CR 238, the rest of 179 opens up and is faster. The corners are not tight, it is wider, and more of that white hard packed gravel that creates so much dust!

At Hwy 30 we cross over onto FM 2562 for a few hundred yards at most, then cut right onto CR 219. The first half of this is just straight hard packed gravel. A bit before it dives off into the woods there is a HUGE pasture on the right with a few ponds and a creek running through it. In years past, this has been a solid blanket of Blue Bonnets. I can see already that this will be a good year. They are spread far and wide, but still early in their bloom. In a week or two they will be awesome if we don't get any nasty weather that beats them down. I stop to take a few pictures and Daniel takes off into the woods out of communicator range. A few minutes later I hear him zooming back my way, past me, and eventually turning around to do it again. It seems he has decided to do an impromptu U-turn practice session. I tried watching his video later, but it made me sick because he was going round and round and round... He's actually become very good at them!

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

Daniel zooming past me
IMG_6155.jpg

And again...
IMG_6157.jpg

I'll have to bring out a better camera for the next ride. One that won't have the colors so washed out.

We continue running South on CR 219 into the woods. The road gets narrower, pretty much one lane, and has some fun quick elevation changes with a few cool corners. It is real easy to get some air over a few of the high points. Over the communicator I can hear Daniel's motor getting revved pretty good as he clears them. Friday night I made the mistake of having him watch an Adam Reiman's video on cornering. I was working on that late night job when I hear him from the other room, "So the take away here is that I should be drifting every corner!?" :doh: :lol2: Well, I can see where he got that idea, but I was trying to get him to understand the weight shifting of the bike using the gas to control traction, not that the rear tire has to be stepping out and roosting on every corner! Needless to say, all I've been hearing today is the bike being revved to the moon as he exits every corner with the traction control turned off.

There is a cool old cemetery here if you are into that, which I kind of am. It has a lot of old graves and cool headstones. Just beyond it the road starts to get wider again and a bit better groomed. A little further and we reach CR 220, which is where I usually come up from FM 149 as I am most often running South to North when I am over here. Today though I am wanting to get over to Anderson next, so we continue on CR 219 to Hwy 90. This last bit of 219 is actually kind of fun because it has more curves and corners as it cuts through the woods. At 90, we turn and run down to Anderson where we stop for gas and a pit stop. While there, this guy pulls up next to us...

The lighting is horrible I know, but it was the best I could do.
IMG_6158.jpg

This was a garage find. It is a 1986 with 40K original miles on it. It is literally in MINT condition. I was flashing back to the 80s when these things were everywhere and were one of the big status symbols of their day. I had to go over and talk to the guy. He immediately shakes my hand (a country thing), and then starts opening the doors, shows me the trunk, etc,... Some little old lady had this and it was her daily driver. She had NEVER even used the trunk. It still smelled new! The interior of the car was absolutely perfect. The owner told me he only lets his kids in if they take their shoes off :lol2: They are NOT allowed to have ANY food or drink anywhere near the car! The whole time I am standing there, every single person that walks by has their eyes popping and jaw slacking. One older dude is on the phone telling his buddy about it in a very excited tone. People were commenting on it to the owner as they walked by. It was hilarious. He tells me it runs and drives fantastic. Even the plastic bits on it still look new. I just can't believe there aren't obvious signs of aging that were so common with the big American luxury cars of the 80s. Daniel is not that impressed :-P

We hop back on Hwy 90 and run West out of town. Just over the hill past the cool Catholic church we turn onto CR 405 and head South. There are several fun roads in this area just South of town and they have often been fantastic for flowers in the Spring. I think some of the land owners seed their pastures. There are several spots in particular that can be quite nice. Daniel is leading and I spot one of those pastures and pull into through an open gate just inside the fence to take a few shots while Daniel zooms away again.

IMG_6159.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

Youube Banner.jpg

Much the same as the other pasture, these are just getting started and will be better in a few weeks I think.

Daniel comes zooming back past me a few times while I am taking the pictures, but then he's gone for longer. So I hop on the GS and take off down the road to find him. He's on the side of the road at the top of the hill where CR 405 comes to a tee and stop sign. He's off the bike so I assume he's just taking a break. Well, it turns out there is an issue with our side stand magnet mod. Apparently the exhaust is close enough that it melted one of the zip ties, letting the magnet fall down enough to open the relay. This is when we realize we forgot to grab the original magnet that screws into the side stand before leaving the house :doh: It is also where I realize that I don't have my normal bag full of little zip ties in my top case. I only have the big thick 12" long ones and they won't fit. Daniel fiddles around with it a bit and manages to get the other remaining zip tie shifted so it will hold the little bracket in place well enough to fool the computer again. He also manages to burn the tip of his finger pretty good. I just hope it will get us home or we are dead in the water. It seems I need to find some of those stainless steel zip ties or just wire it into place. JB putty maybe :ponder:

Where I stopped to search for zip ties just around the corner before realizing I would have to go back since Daniel can't get the bike started.
IMG_6165.jpg

With the bike running again, we start around the CR 405 "loop". Really, it is a loop comprising CR 405 and 406. We head West because we found out a few weeks ago that the bridge is out and impassable just a short way up if we were to turn East. 405 starts out straight with some nice elevation changes and then right where it has the first corner, it is a blind corner at the crest of a hill. If you are carrying any speed up this hill and are not aware of this corner, it won't be pretty. It is slightly off camber, hard packed, and covered with loose gravel. On the plus side, there is a nice barbed wire fence that will act as a safety net to keep you from venturing too far from the road if you blow the corner! :thumb: If you are going slow enough to make the corner safely, you will also have time to glace off to the right in the distance to see a Dr. Suess house. It is tall, narrow, and quite crooked. Even the windows are crooked. I can't tell if someone actually lives in it or if it is some kind of outrageous chicken house :shrug: Either way, the kids think it is pretty cool. There are a few more fun corners and then we pass CR 409. Just beyond it there are large pastures on the left and right that have huge patches of Blue Bonnets and Indian Paint Brushes. I don't stop because I know the pics won't make me happy and I plan to come back out here with a better camera anyway. 405 climbs to the top of a big hill where it meets CR 406 and provides a great view looking back to the North over all the pastures.

We head East on CR 406. There are two very large and very nice properties right here. The fence for one of them probably cost a LOT more than my house. The property on the left has tons of flowers as far as I can see down into the lower areas and over onto the hills in the distance. Again, a drone would be perfect for this! I am thinking I might have to invest in one. Daniel popped for the GoPro, so maybe I'll snag one of those ones that will follow the bike and has all the fancy collision avoidance technology. I am assuming these can also be controlled manually like a regular drone so you can fly it where you want? Anyway, tuck that thought back into my head in the area where many good thoughts go to be unintentionally forgotten and die. That graveyard is filled to the brim with ideas of pure genius that Ive had when I was about to fall asleep or was somewhere that I had no way to write it down or record it. If I could recall but a mere fraction of them, no doubt it would change the world and I could retire to a life of leisurely motorcycle traveling with my family...

So anyway... flowers... drone... mental note... check.

If you look on a map, CR 406 doesn't look like anything special, and it is not. However, what you cannot really see on the map or even the GPS is that there are a handful of corners that can REALLY sneak up on you if you are not watching your speed and paying attention. All the early visual cues about where it is going are wrong! The worst is a stop sign hidden JUST around a blind corner and there is no "Stop Ahead" sign to be found. The intersection is a tee. Blow this stop sign and you are going across the tee into a tree/fence. Fortunately, the intersection is fairly wide or I would have hit that tree with my 1150 GS way back in the day when I first encountered this intersection and was running a weee bit hot. I now have a permanent waypoint flag on my GPS map that shows, "HIDDEN STOP SIGN!!" at that intersection. This way if I create a route and share it with anyone, it will have that same waypoint for them. Turning North here would keep us on the loop, but it is getting late and we need to get back up to Huntsville in time for the Sunday evening service at 6:00pm. So i get us moving in the direction of Richards so we can hit some pavement and make time.

We turn right at the stop sign and head East on CR 215. This is all nice and easy, mostly wide, a few cattle guards and sometimes cattle in the road, and some pretty pastures. It comes out at FM 1774 and we keep going. On the East side of 1774, it is a narrow paved road. You have to keep your eyes open and pay attention though because there are places where the road bed has subsided a bit into the ditches and created some good sized edge trap cracks in the pavement. About a mile or two up the road, there is a little hump on the map, here we turn North on CR 211, which is gravel and has some fun tight corners. It gets us up to CR 214, which used to be gravel but like so many other little roads in the area has been chip sealed. It drops us out onto FM 2819 and we run East toward FM 1486. This is where I hear over the communicator, "This 390 tops out around 92-95mph..." :argh: Really, it is hard not to be concerned as a parent, but at the same time... well, I would have been doing the same thing. I often have to stop and ask myself, "What was I doing when I was 16? What thoughts were running through my head at 16?" It helps me maintain perspective and not be super critical and controlling as a parent. I did some seriously questionable stuff and survived it. I can only surmise that my parents and grandparents spent a lot of time praying for me.

We turn North and run up to Richards where we pick up FM 149 and head out of town past Drifter's Motorcycle bar. It is pretty much empty. Pretty as the day is, it is still quite chilly. I've been running the heated grips on low all day. Even Daniel has commented on how nice it is to have heated grips on the 390. They were added by one of the previous owners and are very nice. The Yamaha XT250 does not have heated grips, but I do have a set of after market heaters for grips that have been sitting in the cabinet in the garage since... oh... hmmm... When did I buy my KLR 650...? 2004? 2005? They are still in the original packaging. I wonder if they might still be good and if the XT has enough magic smoke in it to run them? Meh, warmer weather is just a few weeks away. I'll tuck that idea back in the "important things to remember" room in my head for later.

Just past Drifter's we turn North on Bays Chapel Road, a nice paved road. I am thinking about cutting over through the SHNF to get to FM 1791, but that doesn't really being me out where I want to be to avoid traffic once we hit town. So we keep heading North on Bays Chapel all the way to the end and pick up Hoke 2 Road to get us up to Hwy 30 where we can get up to speed and make more time. At 30 we run East at a brisk pace to FM 2550 and cut North up to FM 1696 and then cruise over to US 75 and turn North. The church is just a mile or two North of this intersection. We arrive right at 6:00pm and start taking off our gear in the parking lot so everyone won't hear all the velcro ripping sounds if we do it inside. As we walk up to the front doors, we can hear that the congregation is already singing a hymn. There is just something about the sound of a lot of people singing together that is unlike anything else. It stirs something in me even though I can't sing well enough to impress a fat old bull frog on a Lilly pad. The Bible frequently mentions the singing of a heavenly choir and I often wonder what an experience it must be to be present with untold millions of people and angels singing praise and worship. Yeah, I get it. That sounds crazy and corny to a lot of people nowadays. Still... Imagine how that might stir your soul :zen:

After church we head East on FM 1696, cross under I-45 and keep going down Pinedale Road. The sun is starting to get lower now and the shadows long. Not long after we hit the gravel section of the road, Daniel suddenly decides he needs to be leading. I think he just wants me to eat his dust. As we approach the last corner, which is fairly sharp, the parent side of me feels compelled to remind him that hard braking on loose gravel with TKC 70 tires might not go real well. He hears, slows, and make the corner without any problems. We pop out onto FM 247, run down to FM 2628, and the cruise the last few miles to the house and park the bikes. He's anxious to get inside and start editing his GoPro videos.

This evening I got Daniel to finally create an account here on TWT. Sarah did it years ago, but has never really spent any time on the site. I think her name is "Stickers". Daniel went with, "The Hare". This is because the other night we were brainstorming ideas for names if they were to create an actual YouTube channel and start doing a Vlog/Blog. Sarah is kind of shy and I am always encouraging her to come out of her shell and meet people. She also prefers a more "casual" riding pace than does Daniel, who likes to ride like his butt is on fire and he's trying to blow it out with the wind. So I suggested the name, "The Tortise and The Hare". Sarah loves it. Daniel is not so concerned about such things yet, but he did like it as a username. I've pointed him to this thread, but also mentioned that he might like to do his own story telling thread. So hopefully he will be posting a bit and will share some of his first efforts at ride videos. He's still learning, so be gentle ;-)

Been years since I rode in Texas anyplace but Big Bend , and last time there was 2017 I think , I kinda miss the Navasota river bottom roads too . Parts are headed this way , if they ship what I want I’ll try to make it to your place for a burger next month .

So I have mentioned that I am trying to get Daniel and possibly Sarah to start doing a YouTube channel together on their riding experiences. Now, when we head out to the garage, Daniel usually grabs his GoPro to film even the simplest of things. I recently bought a nice little Zumo GPS from another TWT member and it came with the powered RAM mount cradle. Daniel and I headed out to the garage to get it installed on the Yamaha XT250. I surprised him by bringing a camera of my own, I just wish I had kept it pointing at his face for a few seconds longer at the end so you could have seen his reaction when he realized he had been BUSTED! Despite the fact that I have REPEATEDLY told him the KTM 390 Adv is MY bike and he and Sarah get to ride it, he secretly (or so he thought) thinks of it as his and the XT as "Sarah's bike". It's not like everyone in the family didn't already realize this :doh: :lol2:

After seeing this video, Sarah was QUICK to remind Daniel that the 390 Adv was NOT his bike :-P

Last edited:
Sarah has not been riding much this month. She had a deadline she had to meet for getting school work done if she wanted to be able to attend a graduation ceremony where she could do the walk in the cap and gown and receive a diploma even though we homeschooled. She's never been good at time management and so she was REALLY under the gun to get it done! To be honest, I didn't think she was going to make it because she was so far behind. However, she really put her head down and worked hard at it, into the evenings and even on the weekends. She did school work while Daniel got to go our riding with me several times, which he loves because we run a slightly more aggressive pace when it is just the two of us. We got out for a nice long ride this past Saturday. Sarah had to have EVERYTHING done by sometime Saturday evening. Daniel shot a bunch of GoPro footage. We shot some drone footage. I took lots of pics. We went North to run roads I've not been on in years. Despite the storms that came through recently, the dirt roads were absolutely perfect! There was virtually no mud, the sand was nicely packed, and there was very little dust. It was a beautiful day and we had a blast. He's really riding well. The following is just one short section of video where he mounted the camera to his tail bag and I chased him. The end of the video is not him crashing. It is just the cheap mount coming loose. I intend to upgrade that... We also need to get one of those little fuzzy things for the mic that cuts down on wind noise.

He's learning that the GoPro makes tight corners look like big sweepers. I am trying to get him to understand that for the most part, the GoPro is really more about catching the scenery and sound. If you want to really show the corners, we need to pull over and actually use the other cameras to film each other riding through the corners. We were still experimenting with the drone, so no spectacular footage with that, but there is a funny/tragic story that I will share when I post up some more video...

He's in the process of editing all the other stuff and I will post up pics. Right now all the kids are busy with showing their rabbits at the county fair this week.

Last edited:
Alright, so with Sarah in "school mode", Daniel and I have the day free. I am not a morning person, so we get a late start, about 12:30pm. We've been doing a lot of riding West of town because it is close and convenient, but I have been getting tired of the same old roads. Today I decide we are going to head North and hopefully I don't get any work calls. It is a beautiful sunny day, few clouds, and in the mid 70s with next to no humidity (at least for East Texas anyway...).

We roll out and head North on FM 980 to FM 2628 and cut over to FM 247 to head further North. It's all paved and just has gentle sweepers through the woods. However, all along the road there are signs that Houston is creeping ever closer. Properties are for sale and the prices are high. A parcel I looked at not long ago that was 30 something acres has apparently sold and is being turned into a new subdivision. We've been having new subdivisions pop up all over the place around the outskirts of town and all my favorite little out of the way roads are being "improved" :argh: We have to get about 25-30 miles North of town before there is even a hint of little county roads because so much of the land in this direction belongs to the Texas prison system. About 3/4 of the way toward Midway, we pass the Ferguson Unit. Normally there would be inmates meandering about an outside area, but today it is empty. In fact, as I peek through the windows into the metal buildings on the North side of the unit, they all look to be empty as well :scratch: Not sure what is going on here as the prison system has long struggled with overcrowding. There are a few quick little curves just before we reach Midway that Daniel enjoys, and then we head East on Hwy 21.

If you bust out a map or hit your favorite online map and check out this area, it looks like there are just tons and tons of unpaved roads to explore. However, there are a LOT of them that are private. Also, some of them are just pasture roads that lead from a locked gate to the other side of the property or that dead end. Either way, they are not accessible. It can be frustrating though because there are often two roads that almost meet, but just have this one tiny little stretch of private road between the two of them that keep you from connecting a route. Just on the edge of town we turn left onto FM 3060 and head North again. I've been coming out this way for years. There are some nice properties out this way. Lately, I have been seeing a LOT of ads for them on Facebook and the prices have skyrocketed. This is paved and has a few fun corners but soon comes to a "tee" of sorts and turns to gravel. We head left on Goose Prairie Road. The pastures out here look like they have been painted yellow. At times I catch intense whiffs of the sweet smell from the flowers, at others is the "sweet smell of money" from the herds of Longhorns in nearby pastures... :huh2:

Daniel is leading and he has really taken to the KTM 390 Adv. He's been riding it very well and just can't stop blabbing about how much he likes it and how much fun it is as I hear him bouncing off the rev limiter coming out of almost every corner :roll: I've been trying to teach him that while it is indeed fun to rip out of corners, you need to always be thinking about that next corner that might be just around this corner, so don't get too carried away until you can see that there is enough road ahead to slow for the next corner if you've been engaging in Hammer Time! I'm also just trying to stay out of range of the rocks flying off his rear time. The other thing I have been trying to teach him is that when you are riding in unfamiliar areas, keep an eye on the GPS to watch for intersections, especially on these little back roads where those intersections are often hidden around corners or just over a blind rise and may not have enough time for you to stop! We reach Bozeman Ferry Road and turn West toward FM 1119. This is a mix of broken pavement and gravel.

FM 1119 is a nice ride with gentle sweepers and some fun elevation changes in a few spots. The elevation changes become more pronounced the further North we get. A few miles up the road we pass FM 977, another fun road, but that will be saved for another day. For now we are continuing up to FM 811. This has more curves and more hills and is very pretty. A few years ago I too a big turkey vulture to the chest on this road that left a massive ugly bruise on the left side of my chest and upper arm! I was doing about 55-60mph when it came up out of tall grass and flew right into me. It died. I and my bike smelled like processed road kill... :wary:.. :puke: I mention this little bit of excitement to Daniel, stressing that you do NOT want to hit one of them, and almost as important, do not be directly under one if it is not gaining altitude! If they panic, they will often jettison "ballast"... :wary: :puke: Yeah, been there, done that too :doh: We pull over at the start of 811 at what used to be some kind of tiny general store.

IMG_6190.JPG

I've no clue what the story is for this place. It looks like it might have been built at least 50-60 years ago, if not more. There are some old ceiling fans hanging from the covered porch, their blades dropping from the long exposure to the East Texas humidity and heat. There is an old rusted safe sitting outside. It looks thick and HEAVY. I give the door and TUG and it groans its displeasure at my disturbing its slumber, grinding and creaking, before it finally says, "No more". I doubt there is anything important inside, but man, they don't make things like they used too! This is heavy gauge steel. I'd be willing to bet it easily weighs 450-500 lbs! I can't help but wonder what things were locked away in here all those years ago to keep them secret and keep them safe... :ponder:

IMG_6191.JPG

About four or five miles up the road on 811 we turn off onto CR 123 and head East toward the Trinity River. This is one of those roads that looks like it should connect with another at the river. In fact, the road on the other side is called Alabama Ferry Road. I am pretty sure it is a dead end, but perhaps there might have actually been a ferry here at one time :shrug: Anyway, when I am not sufficiently zoomed in on the GPS map, sometimes intersections can be tricky because what looks like a multi road intersection all at one spot is actually a few different intersections that are just real close together. In other words, I took a wrong turn. It's cool though. We have time. We are just out here to see what we see. The road is dirty and fun. I frequently hear Daniel giggling in his helmet without realizing it is coming through the communicator. I many places the road is just a dark tunnel through the lush Spring foliage on the trees along the pasture fences lining the road. The pastures are just as lush and where they are not covered in flowers they are covered in knee deep thick green grass that looks so soft you want to risk the worst case of chiggers you can imagine to go and roll around in it. Been there, done that, got the scars from scratching to prove it :doh: Not too far down our wrong turn, we come to a few locked gates. It is a nice shady spot at the end of a tunnel and I suggest to Daniel that perhaps we might try our hand at getting some drone footage here.

Looking back up CR 125 the way we came, it shouldn't be too hard to fly a drone in a straight line through here without hitting anything... right?
IMG_6192.JPG

We get the drone out, fire everything up, and then for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get it to go into active track mode so that it will follow a target. My plan is to just have Daniel run up the road and back with the drone pursuing him. We fiddle around with it for a bit, but finally just give up and do it manually. Daniel goes first. I fly in a mostly straight line behind him, but he goes to quick. Then, once the drone is at the other end of the road, I can't see it because it just gets lost on the visual clutter of light, shadows, and tree branches. I eventually get it back, but again, Daniel was long gone. So the end result is no usable footage of Daniel :roll: It doesn't help that I am being swarmed by tiny gnats bent on exploring the deepest inner workings of my body! Daniel wants a go at it though, so I hop on my bike and make sure to ride slow enough that he can keep up with me.

This turned out decent for a first try. Don't ask what that thing dragging on the right side is. I have no clue and don't even notice it until after getting home and watching the video. It was gone by the time I turned around though.

The gnat win. We put the drone away and get moving. Being stopped for very long actually starts to get hot. Once moving again though, the wind coming through the jacket vents is heavenly cool and dry. We ride back up to the main road and turn right, seeing the actual turn I had intended to make just a bit further along the way, except that it isn't a turn. The road just continues straight. It gets confusing because by the time I am zoomed out far enough to see where a road goes, I can't see much detail. By the time I zoom in enough to see the detail, I can only see a really small area and cannot tell where the roads go!! It is incredibly aggravating. I need a BIGGER screen and the ability to upsize the map text to a larger font. I mean, go to ANY adventure rally and it is mostly a bunch of old farts with glasses. Does Garmin not realize this is their customer base!? :headbang:

The correct road is just the continuation of CR 123 toward the Trinity River. It starts out wide and graded, then turns to a wide two track, and eventually starts getting narrower with taller grass between the tracks. This is usually how I know I am about to reach either a dead end or locked gate.

The road narrows and gets rougher right where it disappears into the tree line.
IMG_6193.JPG

As I am taking the picture above, Daniel vanishes into the tree line, giving me a running commentary until the communicators disconnect. I take off after him and eventually hear him still doing commentary about people fishing, mud, nasty water, and how cool this road is. Sure enough, the last bit is narrow and doesn't look like it has been maintained in a very long time. However, at the end there is a concrete boat ramp down into the river that is VERY steep! It doesn't go all the way to the water, so there are big muddy ruts at the based leading into the water. The wheels of the truck and trailer sitting next to me are completely caked in mud. How they got down that ramp, unloaded the boat, and got back up it is a mystery to me, even with 4WD!

No sign of the road on the other side. It doesn't look steep here, but it is, especially the last 10-15 feet of it.
IMG_6194.JPG

Daniel chilling and waiting to head back
IMG_6195.JPG

We get turned around and Daniel spots what is left of the skin of a large Alligator Gar in the road. Fortunately, it is old and dry, so it doesn't smell. We start heading away from the river back toward CR 124, where we will cut North. Having just come down the road and knowing what to expect, we pick up the pace a bit and have some fun. At CR 124 he head North. A few fun corners and some cool scenic pastures later we reach CR 122 where I briefly pause to consider whether or not to run it out and back, but decide to just press on and save that for another day. A mile or so later we come back to FM 811.

CR 124 dumps out right in the middle of a fun curve on FM 811. Just around the curve is a cool little old gas station. I have no idea if they still sell gas. They did years ago.
IMG_6199.JPG

I would occasionally stop here to get a drink and ice cream. The guy that owns the place lives back behind it. While sitting here, I spot the back of an old car that looks interesting and pull up to get a closer look. It is a car port find!?

IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6201.JPG

Other than being dusty, the car looks to be in mint condition, inside and out. While I am taking pictures an old truck with a boat on a trailer pulls up to talk with us. It is an old guy and a really old guy, maybe a father and son. I walk over to talk with them and the first thing he says is, "It's not for sale". :lol2: I tell him that's cool as I am not into buying old cars. He then tells me the owner bought it new in 1972 and has had it the whole time. He is constantly getting people asking him to sell it, but he steadfastly refuses. He fires it up every few weeks and takes it for a short drive. My my... how cars have changed in the last 50 years...!! Still, look these up! It is a 1972 Chevelle 350 Malibu that looks to be all original. Anyway, convinced I am not here to cause trouble, the gentlemen bid us goodbye and safe riding, then back out and go their way. Daniel and I head North on CR 121.

CR 121 doesn't go a long way, but it is a really fun road. There are lots of elevation changes and tight corners. The surface is good dirt and gravel. Once again I hear Daniel winding up the 390 coming out of most every corner. It is like he thinks he needs to drift them all! I may have to make him pay for the next set of tires, but that would likely only cement in his mind the idea that the 390 is "his" and the XT250 is Sarah's :-P I really need to sell my 530 EXC and the XT and just get another 390 :zen:

A low area that looks like it might flood with enough rain
IMG_6202.JPG

We quickly reach Hwy 7 and cross over to pick up the start of FM 1511. These paved FMs are roads that I used to run back when I would do organized rides on weekends before we had kids and before my job consumed my time. There are a few corners that can catch out a rider not paying attention, but in general they are just really fun roads with next to no traffic. They are very scenic, especially right now with all the flowers blooming. 1511 is short, just running between Hwy 7 and FM 831. The section between FM 3178 and FM 831 is the best part. Near the North end, there is a right hander you enter after coming over a hill and it doesn't look bad, but it tightens up as you get into it. Despite me tapping my brake light and doing the SLOW DOWN signal with my hand, I have seen a LOT of riders run wide here. Fortunately, none have crashed or met oncoming traffic. I warn Daniel and his self preservation mode kicks in despite his youthful enthusiasm. This is one thing that makes me feel better about him riding. He's shown me he's not stpuid. Hopefully, all the years of being on the back of my GSs with me and hearing me talk about riding experiences of my own and those of others has imparted some level of wisdom into his head. He negotiates the corner perfectly, holding a nice consistent line even when it tightens, before ripping out the other side.

1511 comes to a tee with 831 in Flo, a town if you can call it that. Mostly it is a volunteer fire station and a tiny church across the road. On the SW corner of the intersection there is a little building back off the road. I have no idea what it is or was, but years ago there was a working Coke machine on the porch and I would sometimes stop here for a cool refreshment. Now it is gone. I take a minute to glance at the GPS and try to figure out where to go next. I am just sort of making it up as we go. I had originally planned on eventually winding up in Centerville to stop at Woody's BBQ to grab a late lunch and stock up on some beef jerky sticks to take home for snacks. We've already blown past Centerville, so now I am thinking we'll just head up toward US 79 between Buffalo and Oakwood on dirt roads, cut over to Oakwood, and then head back down 831 to Flo and start working our way back to Huntsville. It is getting late in the afternoon and Daniel is wanting to get back for a Youth group party at the church by 6:00pm-ish. So we cross over 831 and follow CR 212 into the woods.

I don't want to go all the way to Buffalo, so I am looking for a road that cuts North, CR 223 I think. Either I am not paying attention or I get confused about intersections again, but I miss the turn and we have to do a short backtrack to find 223. Just after we had passed it, Daniel spotted an ATV flying around the corner that could have been a real problem had we arrived just a few seconds later and met him in the corner. Daniel points this out because he knows the story of me being hit head on by a slightly drunk teenager racing his buddy on ATVs in Arkansas when I had my KLR 650. I was fine, but shaken. The bike was out of action! That turned into a whole dueling banjo kind of experience by the time it was all over :uhoh: We got onto CR 223 and headed North.

I guess I really need to spend more time looking at the GPS when I stop. Pretty quickly we come to another intersection and I have it in my head that we need to turn right. Again, this is because I cannot see a large enough area at one time to see where the roads are going and it is easy to get them mixed up. Just after turning there is a really pretty pasture full of Indian Paintbrush flower. Daniel is already vanishing over the top of the hill but I have enough time to tell him I am stopping to get a few pictures before the communicator crackles a few times and he is gone.

He went that way...
IMG_6203.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

T5002077.JPG

T5002078.JPG

A minute later I hear the communicator crackling back to life and Daniel is in mid sentence telling me something about whatever he saw over the hill. While I am getting my gloves back on, remounting the bike, and trying to tell him I think we are on the wrong road, he vanishes again, so I take off after him. You can see above that the road is a wide graded road with loose gravel. I have to admit, I understand why Daniel likes drifting through the corners :trust: The big GS spins up the back tire effortlessly and very controllably, and it is fun! :rider: I catch up to him fairly quick and he mentions that he is running his GoPro, so I move ahead of him. As I am rounding a corner my phone rings... :argh:

I have these certain clients, the ones that seem to have a knack for calling at the worst times: holidays, right when I am walking out the door, right when the waiter walks away from the table after taking our order, right when I am at the furthest point from home on a ride, etc,... I reach up an punch the phone button on the communicator to see who is calling, and it is one of those clients! I tell him his timing really stinks. We have a pretty bad connection because we are out in the middle of nowhere. I can hear him talking, but am only catching every few words. I hear him say he can hear me fine, so I tell him to hang on while I make my way to the top of a nearby hill. Once there, he tells me he doesn't have a job, he just wants me to know that his client really liked my design package. Well... Thanks! But dang... that couldn't wait until Monday!? These people just don't understand what hearing the phone ring does to me when I am trying to enjoy a day off to spend time with my family :whatever: I thank him and tell him I'll catch up with him later, then we head around another corner...

To find this cool little spot! It looks kind of like a miniature Grand Canyon :-P
IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

T5002080.JPG

T5002082.JPG

As we get on around the corner, the road starts that familiar process of degrading, getting narrower, and less maintained. It eventually starts getting a little sandy with grass growing in the tracks and soon starts to get fun, which usually signals the end :-( Sure enough, we come to the top of a short climb and the road dead ends into a nice gated entrance. To either side of the fence are large pastures covered in yellow flowers. I mention to Daniel that this would be a nice spot to stop in the shade and see what kind of scenery shot we might be able to capture with the drone. He agrees so I get it out and turn everything on. I lift off and head out over a fence into the pasture. This drone does not have to get very far away before I can no longer hear it at all and if I lose visual track of it, it can be hard to reacquire visual contact, even when I look where the controller is telling me it is located! Getting old and going blind sucks.

So while I am standing around looking up into the sky like some kind of moron, the kid on the ATV we saw earlier pulls up and is followed by a Kubota RUV with what I think is his Mom but Daniel thinks is his girlfriend. Another side effect of getting older is that I am getting worse and worse about accurately estimating the age of anyone between 12 and 25. Whatever... I walk over and talk with them. It turns out her parents own the property on the other side of the gate and they just happened to be heading back to the house. They aren't here specifically to find out what we are doing. Regardless, I tell him I am trying to relocate a nearby drone so I can bring it back. He gets interested in the drone and hangs around. I try the return to home point feature that should make the drone automatically navigate back to its take off point via its built in GPS. But for some reason it keeps trying to just land wherever it is. So after a minute of looking at the screen and spinning it around to look for landmarks, I finally figure out where it is and spot it so that I can fly it back.

After it lands, Daniel walks over to pick it up. He immediately comes over to me and tells me to look at the propellers. They are covered in bug guts! He mentions the bee hives we passed shortly before stopping. It seems that even as high as it was and as far away from the hives as it was, the bees did not like the drone and went after it. Now I recall that shortly after taking off I was seeing some kind of spots flashing in front of the drone camera on the view screen. I just thought they might be video signal glitches or something. Well... it turns out they were bees being sliced and diced by the drone :eek2: It's kind of funny, but also kind of sad because I like honey bees. I spent a few years helping my Dad work 13 hives. Oh well, lesson learned. Watch out for bees!

As we get ready to head back to the main road, Daniel sets up the GoPro on the back of his bike and wants me to follow him. Sure. He takes off and a nice pace, zipping between the corners but slowing to a reasonable speed in the corners and not running them wide.

This would be the video I posted previously,

I was messing around with it in the video editor and tried cropping it to a 16:9 format to get rid of so much of the sky. You can see that it didn't quite turn out right. This whole video editing, process, and uploading to YT thing is new to me and I am still trying to figure it out. One thing is for sure, I need a MUCH faster internet connection at home with better upload speeds! Maxing out our connection at 6Mbps upload makes even 5-6 minute videos take an hour or two to upload and kills the internet connection for any other activity unless I throttle that computer down to 5Mbps or less. I think our local electricity Co-Op offers fiber connections that are considerably faster than the ATT Uverse we have and for much less per month. Time to make that call.

The fun side road is CR 279. We get back to CR 223 and continue North, passing the traffic you seen in the video above. That big truck hauling the trailer behind it is a good reminder not to think we have the road to ourselves out here even though there is very little traffic. We pull over to fix Daniel's GoPro. The ball mount it came with is not the best quality and the camera starts flopping around. He grabs it and just puts it back on the chin of his helmet and then we are on our way again. We soon reach US 79 and head East toward Oakwood, the furthest point North on this trip. We stop for gas, an ice cream, and a drink. We need to be working our way back now.

I'll save that for tomorrow...

Years ago I worked on cranes , it seems every time I would look up at the tip there were wasp swarming around it , I never figured out way or what they liked about crane boom tips , if the crane was parked near a lift post they had no interest in the light and would all be swarming the boom . Glad I never had to work on the tip . Could be they have an interest in drones too .

That Malibu is what we would consider a "survivor" and it will pull good money just the way it is. He's right to hang onto it.

Okay, so homeward bound and trying to make time... I casually ask Daniel how big of a deal it is for him to make it to this youth party? After all, it is already 4:30pm and we are still a long ways out. He's thinking he can just get the youth director to put a burger aside for him and get there a bit late. Either way, I figure we ought to take a bit more direct route, so we run South of out Oakwood on FM 831. This section of 831 is really fun. It is one of those roads where it is very easy to to slip into a nice rhythm and lose myself in the experience of gliding down the road, feeling all the sensations of the bike, the wind, the sounds, the smells, the sunlight coming through the trees, Daniel's chatter on the communicator...

Seriously though, it is really cool that he is enjoying riding as much as he is. That is after all what I was hoping for when I got the kids into riding all those years ago when they were teetering around the back yard on their little 50cc dirt bikes. And, it is a total blast being out here sharing the experience with him. I really wish there were some way that I could swing a longer adventure trip with him, Sarah, and maybe even Rachel before they get older, move out, and get busy with their lives and it gets hard to find time for us to do things together. It just seems like the only way I will ever be able to do that is to quit my job as it is not the kind of job where I can just scale back the workload to have more time. The central problem of the job is that regardless of the workload, I have zero ability to schedule WHEN I have to work. So I always have to be available even if I am not busy. And, as some of you likely already know from experience, many companies are not super interested in hiring mid 50s guys unless they have some highly desirable skill. So about the only people that might want to hire me are my competitors. They'd pay me less than what I make now and I'd still be working crappy hours :doh: On the upside, at least I have a job so I can afford to buy the bikes and riding gear so I can ride with my kids now :thumb: Lots of people don't have that luxury.

Yeah, so back on track... We have a great time just running up and over the hills and around the sweeping curves. I remind Daniel that I want him to REALLY focus on his lines and not on trying to go fast. I want him to deliberately pick his tip in point for every corner, aim for it, then firmly initiate the lean and roll on the throttle through the corner while keeping his eyes up and using his peripheral vision to scan for problems and to maintain his line. He accepts the challenge and does it very well for someone with as little riding experience as he has, which at this point is maybe 1500 miles in total, if even that. I want him to learn SMOOTH, because smooth is relaxed and relaxed means you aren't freaking yourself out. Fast will come naturally.

We hit FM 1511 and head back South. We're making pretty good time, but I just CANNOT help looking at the GPS and thinking about the dirt roads in the area and how long it might be before we get up this way again. So...

"Daniel! Do you see that road coming up on the GPS just ahead of us?"

"Yes?"

"Turn right when you get to it and watch for gravel on the pavement!"

Many years ago, maybe 2004 or 2005, I was leading a large group ride out here and we were on the return leg of the ride, having ridden many of the same paved roads since most of them were on various kinds of sport and sport-touring bikes. I was on my relatively new to me 2002 R1150 GS and spotted this same road on the GPS and thought it would be fun to explore it... alone... on street biased tires... in the days before I had a cell phone. So I left the group in capable hands and peeled off to see what was around the next corner. The road started out nice, narrow and broken pavement. A bit further it started turning to sand, then slightly deeper sand, then deep sand, and finally deep rutted and loose sand that was like walking on dunes at the beach. Of course when you are heading into something like this, you always seem to ride like a pro until you get way in there and then something goes wrong. It is at this point that your brain realizes you really have no clue what you are doing and now you might actually be in trouble! Did I mention it was June or July? I don't recall exactly, but what I do recall was that it was HOT, like 100F plus. I did at least have a camel bak, but I was not prepared for the level of exertion I would experience trying to get that bloated monster of a bike turned around, upright, and moving in the right direction! It was ugly. It took me a good long while. But I did eventually manage to get back to the paved road and start home.

Over the years I have revisited that road on various bikes: my 02 KLR 650, 05 1200 GS, 07 1200 GS, and my 10 KTM 530 EXC. In every case, I had full knobby tires instead of more street biased "adventure" tires. Each time, the sand was less and less deep, except for a few sections. I had also come to like riding in sand and started actively seeking out sandy roads for the fun. So I thought Daniel might be up for a challenge and decide to see what the road has in store for us. It starts right where FM 3178 tees into FM 1511 and runs SW to Hwy 7. It is CR 207. I don't recall the last time I was up here, maybe 2013 on the KTM 530? It wasn't super sandy then, but now there is very little sand. It appears the county has been busy bringing in gravel and packing it down, an all too frequent occurrence on so many of these great roads. It is still a fun little narrow road through the trees though with lots of twists, turns and some fun elevation changes. Somewhere along the way we come to several back to back corners and I'm thinking this is a cool spot for a few pics and some video. So I park the GS and tell Daniel to backtrack, turn around, and do some passes.

I grab a few shots while waiting for him
IMG_6214.JPG

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

Yeah... so my initial efforts to video him coming through the corner were a bit of a flop. Somehow I got my brain screwed up and thought I was recording when I wasn't and I actually was recording when I thought I wasn't, so those videos were "interesting"... When I realized what I had done I tried to recall Daniel and all I heard was, "*crackle* *snap* not coming back *pop* *crackle*" and he vanished somewhere up the road into the woods. So I started to put my gloves on and head for me bike to go after him. Before I can get to the bike I hear him coming back and he wants to try again.

After that pass, I hopped on my bike and headed up the hill. It is actually fairly steep for this area and somewhat rough from recent rains running down the tire tracks. It is nothing hard, just a little bumpy. Near the top I pull over to get some pics and hopefully get a few more shots of Daniel riding past me. This is a perfect spot to get out the drone. Please don't ask me why I failed to think of it THEN! :suicide:

Looking back down the hill to the corners below
IMG_6218.JPG

There are lots of spots like this on the roads in this area. I am surprised the trees survive having so much of their root structure removed!
IMG_6220.JPG

Coming back up the hill from the first set of corners

Heading back down for another run through the corners

A few more glamour shots while I wait for Daniel to come back so we get be on our way again
IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

The rest of the road is just as fun, until you reach a right handed corner and it straightens out. There is a huge high dollar hunting ranch here. This used to be one of the last sections with really fun sand, but alas... even this only has tiny patches of sand here and there at the edges hinting of its former glory. There are still a few gems out here, but they are disappearing fast!

When we drop out on Hwy 7, we cut back to the East just a short bit to pick up the North end of FM 811 to continue our run South. Years ago, there used to be a little gas station/cafe on the corner of 811 and Hwy 7. I cannot recall the name of it, but we often ate there on our group rides. It wasn't until I was around the corner and starting to head down 811 that I realized it was completely gone, as in no trace of it, not even concrete on the ground anymore. It looks like it has been reverted to pasture. Oh well... Time marches on and waits for nobody. Speaking of which, it is pushing 6:00pm and we still have a ways to go if we are going to reach the church anywhere near 6-6:30 for the youth party. The North end of 811 has some kind of HUGE ranching operation that is on both sides of the road. There are some really fun and sharp corners where the road passes through the property and then it goes back to the more gentle 30-40mph posted sweepers. We quickly reach FM 1119, head South and I find myself peeking at the GPS again... I think we can maybe hit one more bit of dirt, angle toward Madisonville, hit US 75 and bee line down to the church, which is just slightly North of the intersection of 75 and FM 1696.

"Daniel! Do you see that road coming up on our right!?"

"Yes?"

"Take it!"

FM 579 is just a nice and short cut over to OSR, or the Old Spanish Road. It has other names I think. We run a few fun and fast corners that really let us lean the bikes and focus on good lines, then hit OSR and cut over to Dingerville Road. There has to be a story behind that name :ponder: It is just a short bit of fun gravel with pretty land on each side. It soon gives way to FM 3091 which we run over to the feeder road on I-45 just North of Madisonville. It is a two way feeder here so we can just head directly South, hit Hwy 21 through town and grab US 75 South. We pass the Buccee's as we cross over I-45 and it is packed as usual. I don't see the attraction. I avoid the place like the plague because I hate crowded places. There is a ton of traffic here as this is a popular exit for anyone traveling between DFW and Houston. So it takes a few minutes to get over to 75 and get out of town.

Once on 75, we pick up the pace, to about 75 mph. It is posted 70, so I don't want to get to nuts and set a bad example ;-) As we are cruising along, we both comment on the fact that the 390 does this very well but the XT would really be struggling. The XT250 is great up to about 60, maybe 65mph, but then it just kind of runs out of steam unless you just want to REALLY flog it. It does help that we put a nice windscreen on it, but it just lacks that extra little ummph that gets it down the road like this. For this reason, I would NEVER want to see myself or either of the kids trying to ride in on I-45. I drive that in my truck at 80mph in the slow lane and people are constantly blowing my doors off!! I am often even backing up traffic at that speed. I think the 390 could handle it though.

We reach the church at about 6:15, fashionably late. There aren't a ton of people here, just the youth director, my wife and Rachel, and a handful of the other kids. They are just hanging out for the evening, shooting some hoops, playing pool, and generally goofing off. The youth director has burgers on the grill and when I walk out there to say hello, I realize very suddenly that I am starving :-P I don't really want Daniel riding home alone after dark later so I decide to just hang out, eat, and visit for the evening.

The clouds of gnats were thick all day. I cleaned the headlight several times. Daniel's jacket is covered.
IMG_6223.JPG

Shortly after arriving, Beth informs me that Sarah has indeed finished the last of the schoolwork that had to be completed by TODAY in order for her to be able to participate in the graduation ceremonies in May!! :dude: I was really worried she wouldn't get it all done. She's been struggling with burnout, mostly because of poor time management leading up to the need for this crunch, so her motivation levels were really getting LOW. I've had several of those conversations with her about the importance of setting and achieving goals, how this might not seem important now but it will if you actually make it, and other such fatherly kinds of advice :-P It seems that perhaps some of it was actually taken to heart. I'll be sure to give her a big hug and tell her how proud I am of her when I get home later.

Meanwhile, I head outside to play around with the drone before it gets totally dark.
DJI_0045.JPG

DJI_0048.JPG

DJI_0049.JPG

Not terrible given the low light conditions. Daniel and I eventually head home about 9:45pm. It was a good long day of riding and we both had an absolute blast. Next time we will try to be more deliberate about where we stop for pics and how we try to get drone footage. I might even bust out my Nikon D750 to shoot some video with good lenses and maybe a tripod for some ride by shots. None of this kind of media effort has ever really been a part of my riding, so it is all new to me and Daniel even though it is old hat for MANY riders. So we're learning.

I've attached a GPX file that will hopefully show the track with some waypoints locating dead ends and other stuff. I think it was just under 200 miles.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• North Ride with Daniel 040123.gpx
    133.8 KB · Views: 81
The day after riding with Daniel, Sarah really wants to get out for a ride now that she's finally done with her school work. We have a lot of other stuff going on Sunday so we really don't have a lot of time. She opts for the XT 250 because I want her to test ride it after Daniel and I took out some of the rear preload to see if this would help with the head shake issue. Fortunately, we actually have some decent dirt roads not far from home that are easy to string together into a decent ride. They usually have more sand than Sarah might like, but I am counting on the recent rains to have packed them down nice.

The first order of business is to get out onto FM 980 and get the XT up to 60mph and then start creeping up toward 70mph and see how it handles. Sarah's been off the bike for quite a while and I can immediately see that she's a little stiff and not relaxed. She gets the bike moving and tells me it seems much better, but if she shifts forward it still has just a touch of wiggle. There is still a LOT more room to adjust the preload though, so I think we are heading in the right direction. She was originally thinking she'd head back to the house and get the 390 Adventure, but now that we are out here she wants to just keep going. So we head North out FM 980 to FM 3478. This takes us across the Trinity River to FM 230.

If you look on the maps, it will look like there are TONS of dirt roads in the area to ride, but in reality, most of them on on Texas prison property and are off limits. However, once you get inside the area bounded by FM 230 and Hwy 19, there are actually quite a few fun roads. This is one of the areas where I cut my teeth... and elbows... learning to ride my 02 R1150 GS on dirt/sand. Back then... twenty some odd years ago, there was a LOT more sand on these roads. It was usually deep and loose! Over the years the county has been bringing in load after load of big chunky gravel to build up a road base. At first it was the more heavily traveled roads, but now even many of the smaller less traveled roads have been getting "improved". Now they are wider. Land is being parceled and sold. Trees are being cut down. *sigh*

Sarah doesn't know any better so this is all new and exciting to her!

At FM 230 we head East toward Trinity. We are running just along the river bottoms and there are some nice curves and gentle elevation changes. Sarah is not a speed freak so this is perfect for her. I just work with her on focusing on smooth lines through the corners, when to brake, when to get on the gas, etc,... She really likes the XT. I just wish it has a bit more power... The size of the bike is pretty much perfect. She likes the lack of a big front end fairing and body work. It just needs a bit more giddy up :-P Maybe when she has more experience and is not as intimidated by seat height, we'll look at one of the newer 300s or something if we don't end up with another 390. Anyway, about 4-5 miles down the road as we are coming up on our turn, Chalk Cemetery Road. I spot some kind of crate in the middle of our lane. We avoid it, but I don't like riding past things like this and leaving them in the road for someone else to hit. Sarah goes on ahead and waits for me while I loop back.

It turns out it is just a milk crate, probably fallen off the back of some ratty KLR 650 :-P As I pull up next to it I glance down and see that it is full of syringes, rubber hoses, and other stuff. Who knew that we had KLR riding Meth heads in the area!? I scoot it off the road into the grass using my boots so I don't have to touch it... you just never know :wary: I loop back and catch up to Sarah and we head North on Chalk road. It starts out with a few corners and then mostly straightens out for a bit. The whole area looks like it was hit with a big bomb. The trees still standing are tall and ragged, with short and few branches. Many bear the scars of fire. The ground is covered in the remains of the thick forest that once stood here. Houston is steadily creeping North and I am seeing more and more big homes being built on nice large properties where once all I saw were woods and the occasional small home or trailer. Looking at the head stones of the little cemeteries scattered all over the place makes it obvious that the same families have been in this area for 150+ years in many cases. I can't really blame folks for selling out though. This might be the biggest economic opportunity some of the locals in this area ever get. It is tough being a rancher right now with our political climate, economic policies, and the costs of feed.

Chalk Cemetery road has enough tight corners to make Sarah really pay attention. She is doing a great job of getting her body position right, setting a good corner entry speed, not going wide but not totally hugging the inside where it gets messy, and looking through the corners. It doesn't take long for her to start to relax and settle into a bit of a groove. One of the things she loves about riding is that it de-stresses her. She says the same thing about shooting, and she happens to be a pretty good shot. Riding with her is VERY different than riding with Daniel. He is far more aggressive in terms of corner speed, wanting to slide the back end out of corners, and just carrying a faster pace in general. She will generally run about 30-35 mph when it opens up, occasionally 40. On the other hand, I am often reminding Daniel that 40-45mph is really about as fast as we want to be going back in here so that we don't really tick off the locals but also so we have time to react to the unexpected: deer, dogs, LARGE vultures, big trucks hauling cattle trailers, and probably worse of all... postal delivery drivers!! :eek2: :lol2: Seriously, these people should be racing Baja! :doh:

The North end of Chalk Cemetery is just straight and fast with a huge beautiful pasture on our right. So it is easy to start picking up speed as we climb a long hill. I warn Sarah to hug right and slow down until she is sure what is over the hill. All those years ago I came cooking over this hill only to find out that there is a stop sign not far from the crest. Braking hard while going down hill to a blinded tee intersection covered with sand and loose gravel can be a bit hard on seat covers. The crossroad is Piney Woods Road, CR 36120, or on some maps it shows as FM 1893. If this ever was an FM, it was a LONG time ago and it is no longer being maintained. The surface is broken pavement which quickly just gives way to packed sand as we head Northwest. The more traveled path bends straight West and the less traveled path starts turning North. It can get messy when it rains because there is regular old mud back up in that area. I've been through there in a while though, so it may have seen recent improvements as well. Sarah and I stay on the main path and head West on CR 3575.

When it is dry, CR 3575 is still quite sandy in some spots. The low areas that tended to get wet and/or hold water are being filled with gravel. No doubt the locals like this, as would I if I actually lived back here and had to drive on it everyday with a car or truck. It is still a fun road though as it gently winds through the woods and has a few sudden elevation changes and small bridges. The trees frequently make neat tunnels, as is the case with so many of the roads in this area. Even on a bright sunny day, it can be amazingly dark down in these tunnels. We soon reach the tiny community of Weldon. There isn't much here, mostly homes of people that work in the nearby prison unit and some ranchers. A buddy of mine is a bivocational Baptist minister and serves in the only church in town, which has been here for many generations. His "real" job is putting up with kids in high school while trying to teach them history.

I sometimes get turned around if I've not been in an area recently and I've not been looking at the GPS. In one such moment, we start to go the wrong way and I quickly realize it, but not before Sarah has started down the wrong road before I can inform her. When I do, she attempts a u-turn. She is right at a fork in the road and ends up riding up onto a berm right at the crotch of the Y between the roads. I look up from the GPS when I hear a sudden tone of concern in her voice to see her teetering on a high spot. Were she to fall, she would not just fall over flat, but past that with the bike on top of her because she's about 18" higher than the road bed. Seeing that it is perfectly clear in front of her, I just tell her to keep on rolling straight and ride it out. She listens and manages to drop off the far side of the berm without tipping over and comes to a stop. This is when I find out that she had actually stalled it on the top of the berm and just BARELY had enough momentum to keep going forward! Crisis averted, we get pointed in the right direction, back on FM 230 heading North.

Just a short distance up the road we turn left onto CR 3490 and head off into the woods. There are some really cool plants growing on the shoulder of the road here. I brain fart and fail to stop and get pictures. The stucture of the plant looks like miniature corn stalks with the long leaves, but the leaves have white stripes running their length. The plants are maybe 2-3 feet tall and cover the shoulder of the road for about 100 feet. There are various other flowers spread all around in them and it looks really cool. I am kind of wondering if these were planted or seeded, but this is not someone's yard. We make a dog leg across CR 3495 and continue on CR 3455a, heading Northwest where we drop out onto FM 2915. This is a maintained FM and while short, it is still fun and scenic. Sometimes I would run this West and it crosses Lost Creek and Big Creek, which both dump into the Trinity River nearby, and then the road becomes FM 3275 and runs out to Hwy 21. It is usually very sandy and floods when it rains, so I decide to head East instead, back toward FM 230 again.

There are some very nice homes and properties along FM 2915. In fact, if you are looking for a nice country place, there is a large home for sale right on the NW corner of FM 203/2915. We turn North on 230 and head up to FM 3151 and continue North just over a mile to CR 3525. Improvements are being done to this road, but thus far it has been spared compared to many of the other nearby roads. I really like this one as it just has really cool tunnels, in places making me thing of Fangorn Forest because of how dark it can get. There are many sandy corners where it is fun to spin up the rear tire and just roost forever, or at least until the next corner which can sometime be VERY close! Sarah seems to be enjoying it and doesn't mind the sand. She's running a nice and steady pace. We eventually come out on FM 1280 just on the edge of Lovelady and she needs to get gas. I don't think the XT was full when we left the house. Right as I start to cross the railroad tracks that run through the middle of town, I spot an engine on the tracks coming my way. Old or new, I always slow and scan tracks for trains. Knowing Sarah will never get across with me, I stop just as the alarms start clanging and the barricade drops. We sit there with the engines off as the train rumbles past us. Sarah remarks that shes never been this close to a train moving this fast and is amazed at how loud it is an how much it shakes the ground... then the horn blasts right as the engine is even with us! It kind of freaks her out and I can't help but giggle a bit. It flashes me back to when I was maybe 8 years old and fishing on some lake with my slightly older brother.

We had walked out along a raised rail track that crossed a shallow lake. Near the center, there was a wooden trestle where the water could flow from one side to the other. We were squatting down with another kid on the edge of the water yanking catfish out one after the other. We could not believe what a great fishing spot this was! But then we heard the blaring horn of an approaching train. We popped our heads, glanced both ways on the track, and realized we had no time to run the length back to either shore. There was nothing to do but squat back down and wait it out. The train was maybe 3 feet above the water, so our heads were uncomfortably close to the train itself as it passed over us. I recall an uncontrollable urge to lean away from it so some random bit of something didn't whack me in the head. It was insanely loud and slightly terrifying! We glanced at each other knowing what morons we had been for being out here, but then it passed and we went back to fishing :lol2: We were camping with our folk at a nearby campground and ate well that night!

The train passes fairly quickly and we scoot over to the Valero in the middle of town on Hwy 19. She gasses up. I still have 3/4 of a tank, which will take me further than her full tank. I ask her where she wants to go next. She has a friend that lives close by and we consider heading over to see the family, but then realize that it would not be a short visit, so we decide to keep riding. I ask if she'd like to just backtrack the way we came and she enthusiastically agrees with this idea. So we head back over the tracks and back into the woods. I scoot ahead of her and tell her I am going to get ahead and setup for some pictures. This also lets me have some fun drifting the sandy corners since she is not in front of me. It doesn't take me long to reach the little bridge at Tantabouge Creek. It has a nice curve on both sides and will be great for still shots or video, so I stop and get setup. I am using my Olympus T5, which I originally bought to use for riding adventures, but haven't really used all that much because work interfered with me going on adventures soon after that! :doh: It is a great camera, but I haven't used it enough to be intimately familiar with the controls. I hear Sarah coming and let her know where I am so it doesn't surprise her and she doesn't target fixate on me. As she is coming around the corner I am tracking her, thinking this is going to be a nice shot, and as she disappears into the trees on the far side I realize I've been pushing the wrong button!! :headbang :lol2:

I accidentally got this lame shot :roll:
T5002084.jpg

Sarah keeps on going. When I realize what I have done, I rush to get back on the bike so I can try to get ahead of her again because there are still a few decent spots to get a picture or video if I can remember what buttons to push :argh: I tell Sarah what happened and she slows down, letting me get ahead again, before she just stops and waits until I tell her to come. This time I make sure to hit the right button!

Still not great, but it will do.

T5002086.jpg

Daniel and I were out riding two up on my GS a few years back and encountered a big dump truck coming out of this corner with his bed still raised, hitting over head branches, and generally scaring the crap out of us. I was not going fast so there was plenty of time for him and us to react, but as we got around him we were greeted with a massive pile of freshly dumped gravel, the big 2-3" diameter chunky stuff. Just beyond the pile was a dude sitting in a big road grader watching us to see what we were going to do... We'll there was no way around it and I certainly could not get over it. I shrugged my arms at him. He put the grader into gear, and rode up and over the top of the pile a few times, to knocking it down to about 12-18" tall, then stopped and looked a me again... Well, what else could I do? I stood up, told Daniel to hang on, grabbed a fist full of throttle and plowed my way over the top to the other side! When I looked over, the guy looked genuinely surprised. Daniel was surprised. I think I was a bit surprised as well! :lol2:

I head back to my GS just as I hear Sarah's communicator crackle and pop as she goes out of range. Back on board, I take off after her. Now, it doesn't usually take me very long to catch her. I don't know if I was just farting around with getting back on the bike or what, but it seems to be taking much longer than usual to catch her. I'm not even hearing her on the communicator yet. Of course, as a Dad I can't help but start getting those, "what if!?" thoughts popping into my head even though I know it is not time for those to make a serious appearance. But those thoughts are dancing out there in the weeds, letting me know they are ready and waiting. About the time I am ready to look over and give them the go ahead, I hear the communicator start to crackle and Sarah is asking me what is taking so long! :doh: I guess she's really feeling good on the bike now!

We soon get back in on FM 3151, head south to FM 230, and then just barely past the intersection at FM 3915 we peel off to the right on CR 3495. It's strange how two roads can be really close to each other and yet have very different feels to them. Sometimes it is the trees, the width of the road, one is really straight like the OCD guy bulldozed it and the other like the old drunk guy that has been around for ever bulldozed it. It is basically straight... on average... but never really straight anywhere in particular. It just kind of stumbles through the woods. Then there are the different kinds of homes, some very nice and obviously expensive, and others that have been here a long time and haven't been maintained. The time of day and the angle of the sunlight coming through the branches and making the pastures glow with that golden warm fuzzy look that make me feel all kinds of nappy... just not dirt nappy... We hit CR 3500 and finish off a figure eight as we head back over to Weldon.

It is getting late and we need to be getting back. Today is my older brother's 59th birthday and he is in town, so we are going to dinner with him, my Mom, and my nephew. The plan is to meet them at the Cracker Barrel in Conroe and Sarah has been thinking that we'll swing by the house, let her pick up the 390 Adventure, and then we'll ride down there. She just doesn't want to ride the XT on the highways, which is understandable. From here we start backtracking through the woods to Chalk Cemetery Road. I get in front of her so I can let her watch me pick my tip in points, see how am I am leaning the bike and counter weighting with my body, and when I am getting on the gas. It really helps her to just follow me through the corners doing what she sees me doing. As we are nearing the end of Chalk Cemetery Road, I ask her if she'd be fine with just heading to the house, dropping off the bikes, and taking the truck to Conroe. I'm kind of hot, it has been muggy, and I am feeling like it would be nicer to ride in an air conditioned car and then not have to ride home on I-45 at night with the deer on the shoulders. She is good with that :thumb: So we head for the barn and call it a day.

I am looking forward to spending more time getting to ride with Sarah. Passing the MSF class did wonders for her confidence. She is not fast, but she does listen and apply what I am telling her, so I can see her progressing in skill. Like Daniel, she just really enjoys getting out to see the countryside, the flowers, the assortment of smells..., and just being on the bike. She enjoys the challenge of trying to ride well. As a Dad, I am just thrilled that my kids still want to hang out with me :-P

GPX viewer

Attachments

• North ride with Sarah 040223.gpx
    56.4 KB · Views: 86
Years ago I cut thru some of those roads in that triangle , it was quite interesting , that was in the days when I was dumb enough to blindly follow a gps . going south from lovelady one went through a gate and turned into a two track along a pasture that we had a hard time following through the grass , finally came out of the bush close to the intersection to go south to your neighborhood . No closed gates but I would be surprised if it were a real county road since it did not look like a machine had ever been on it other than the ranchers tractor .

Here is Daniel's first attempt at a video from our ride a few weeks ago.

Found a nice second 390 Adventure today, a lightly used 2022 model with 1200 miles on it. There isn't a spot of dirt on it :shrug: It's bone stock, so I will have to do a little farkling, but nothing fancy. Plan to put a GPS mount on it, rear luggage rack, bar risers, and better foot pegs (stock pegs are canted forward like 16 degrees instead of level!?). Will likely stay with the stock skid plate as we are not going to be doing any rock crawling with it.

Daniel approves
AF20AD87-CBA0-48A8-8361-3EB986AD91B2.jpeg

A8AD76C1-6D32-4E8D-8C79-C3FE7AF8A576.jpeg

Sarah approves - this will be "her" bike.
2A7B03C8-ACD1-460B-BB8B-AC30AF3C187F.jpeg

Had to move the lift table forward to make a bit more room.
7992638C-56DE-4245-83A6-83BCD82F26FD.jpeg

These will be going up for sale soon.
68E23308-404E-4EF4-B9B6-50752DD7D838.jpeg

Need to figure out the luggage for both 390s. I think we are going to go with something like the Mosko Moto 80 V3.9 Revolver or something similar. I definitely want something waterproof. I hate dealing with rain covers (and having them come off... :doh:).

Those smiles say it all!!!!

How proud of the old KTM are you? Price wise.

Last edited:
I’ve got some giant loop stuff that I have been real happy with , not much rain riding these days so I really haven’t noticed how well it works for water but I don’t store them inside in Wyoming and have never seen water in my tank bag . Wondered how long before another 390 would come along , they are a good looking bike . Your road trip is going to be epic , let me know if you get near my summer home , I can line up lodging and suggest some good rides around there .

I’ve got some giant loop stuff that I have been real happy with , not much rain riding these days so I really haven’t noticed how well it works for water but I don’t store them inside in Wyoming and have never seen water in my tank bag . Wondered how long before another 390 would come along , they are a good looking bike . Your road trip is going to be epic , let me know if you get near my summer home , I can line up lodging and suggest some good rides around there .

Will you be reachable via the forum?

It was a beautiful day today and there was NO WAY the kids would let me not go riding, especially with them wanting to take out the new 390 :lol2: Sarah was listening to Daniel talking up the fun little back roads up around Centerville and she wanted to get up there to experience them for herself. What makes them fun is that they have a lot more quick up/down elevation changes than we have around here. So after church we hustled home, geared up, and rolled out.

55D08F1C-0D79-4105-9C37-F6C9CE923C97.jpeg

We ran up FM 247 to Miday, did a few little backroads over to FM 1119, then ran up to Centerville to have lunch at Woody's BBQ, which was great! After that, we ran out of town on Hwy 7 East. The storms that came through a few nights ago had to have been producing tornadoes! We saw an amazing amount of serious tree damage!! In some places there were huge old oak trees that had been completely ripped up out of the ground, roots and all, then dropped. LOTS of trees were snapped off about 20 feet off the ground at the main trunk below where the first branches formed. It was widespread as well, meaning there were numerous places with concentrated damage, not just one big area.

Daniel had fun on this little road (CR 207 between Hwy 7 and FM 1511) and wanted Sarah to see it. We stopped and I got out the drone. The footage will get posted later. It was immediately obvious that there had been a LOT of rain out here the last few days. It was not muddy as this is a very sandy area, but we could really tell where the water had been flowing and cutting into the road surface. The gravel was loose and there were ruts running down the hill with the road. Sarah did great and just rolled on through it despite the fact that it is the steepest road she's ever ridden.
9F025842-3539-46E0-A348-22EAF22D989C.jpeg

We finally figured out how to make the drone follow a target, so I had it follow Daniel back up the hill into the woods. Near the top where it went out of my view because of the trees, I started getting a low battery alert and it wanted to return to home NOW! :doh: I managed to fly it back and it initiated an emergency landing right in front of me as the battery was farting out its last few electrons.

Non drone footage of Daniel running up and down the hill

After goofing around a bit, we wanted to get rolling again because it was actually pretty hot/humid. At FM 1511, we headed South across Hwy 7 onto more dirt county roads. There is another road out there, which dead ends at the Trinity River that Daniel wants Sarah to see. She really enjoys it because it is a nice two track with tall grass between the tracks and trees covering the road. It turns out that the boat ramp at the end of the road is a popular place! There were trucks everywhere with empty boat trailers parked along the last bit of the road.

The water was up and moving fast! It was full of trash and entire tree trunks.
A3506508-9391-4A3A-88F3-D8FD49089F42.jpeg

09B429FE-4AAD-428E-9E94-A0162407E467.jpeg

We were wanting to get back to town around 5:00 for a short evening church service and then an evening of dinner and volleyball for the kids. So we started focusing on making time and getting South. At Leona we hopped on I-45, the first time for both kids to ride on the interstate, so they were both a bit nervous. Daniel actually ran off into the grass on the edge of the on ramp while trying to look back over his left shoulder. He saved it and learned a lesson! Once on the freeway, we were up and running around 80-85mph to keep from being run over! The 390s did great! We didn't make it back in time for the service, but we did get there in time for dinner and a few hours of the kids playing volleyball before riding home.

It was interesting listening to both kids talk about the differences between the two bikes after having swapped. The 2022 bike has the stock foot pegs, which are slopped down at the front at like 16 degrees! Neither of them liked that at all! New pegs that are flat/level are already on the way. They also really noticed the lack of bar risers when trying to stand for the unpaved stuff. I will be adding those, but that will also require a new clutch cable and maybe brake hose. The 2020 bike has a windshield extender on it, which they both like. It just cleans up the airflow a bit and gets rid of a good bit of buffeting. The stock mirrors kind of suck. We put Doubletake mirrors on the 2020 and they are on the way for the 2022. There is a KTM factory lowering kit for the bike that includes a new rear shock, shorter side stand, and different spacers for the forks. It lowers the front and back 1". It is $300. I kind of want her to get used to the regular height of the bike, but the bike is just a tad tall for her and the seat is fat between the legs, making it hard to comfortably get her feet down. So she is always nervous about stopping/starting, parking lots, etc,...

I've ordered 1 finger clutch kits for both bikes. The clutch levers engage all the way out from the bar. Both kids have complained about this as it makes low speed stuff where you are working the clutch difficult. The kit changes the length of the lever arm on top of the basket, which makes the lever at the grip engage the clutch closer to the grip. Daniel does okay with the stock clutch, but Sarah is still kind of nervous about it even though she hasn't been stalling it when starting or stopping. She does rev the snot out of it as she slips the clutch though! I will be working with her on that.

The stock skid plate on the 2022 looks to be decent. We are not going to be doing any rock crawling. I just need something to protect the engine from rocks getting kicked up on gravel roads. It does not make the crazy resonating howl at 5K rpm like the 2020 does with the Black Dog skid plate. I am thinking I might remove that, see if I can sell it, and just replace it with a stocker.

The 2020 has Koso Apollo heated grips. Both kids REALLY like that! So of course Sarah wants those on the 2022 bike as well. I guess it only seems fair. If we end up doing the big trip I am hoping to do, she'd be the only one in the group without them. I have to admit, I often run mine even when it isn't that cold because I have trouble with hand pain thanks to work and the low heat feels good on my palms.

I need to get a GPS mount so I can move the Zumo 396 over from the Yamaha. I think those are around $50 or so depending on brand and features. I am not sure yet if I want to mess with auxiliary lights. The stock head lights on these bikes are remarkably good, better than my GS stock headlights for sure! I've been thinking about center stands just because they make maintenance so much easier, and again, we are not going to be riding these on super technical stuff (intentionally). Lastly, we need to figure out what kind of luggage we want to put on the bikes. The Mosko Moto 80 v3.0 Revolver looks nice, but that is essentially $1K per bike. Then I need to teach them how to pack, what to pack, what NOT to pack, etc,...

At this point, I really think I am going to give all my clients notice that I will be taking an extended leave of absence starting August 1st. We are debt free other than our house payment. I think we have enough savings to cover bills for 3-4 months if we actually have to do that. I am trying to get all this up front spending done now while I still have an income. The 2022 390 is already paid for. Then we just have to figure out how long we can afford to do a trip before we have to head back home and I have to go back to the grind... My BIGGEST concern is health insurance. We have none. With the kids riding, that has really been bugging me. But that costs more than our house and car payments (when we had them) combined!

I wonder if I can get some kind of Obamacare insurance after I quit my job? Maybe unemployment? I've never thought about it before... I've certainly paid in more than my fair share of taxes over the years so other people could enjoy such things :roll:

Last edited:
I see the 390s are different colors , something I wondered about , much less conflict in the early morning if they are easy to tell apart . I have really good wifi in Wyoming so am in contact any time I am in the campground . And may have phone service this year . Even considered buying a local phone since I’m there so much . we’ll see how the new one works this year when I get there later this month .

Whereabouts in Wyoming will you be located?

Usally see him once a year or more , he provides the beer for our bicycle race and we oblige him by drinking it all .

Last edited:
Back