• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WEST TX: Brownwood Memorial Ride for Hardi Hill

Man, there was between 65 and 70 bikes in all, my group had 5 of us. We were supposed to have 19 in our group, but the really cold weather caused all but the toughest riders to cancel. Over 150 people in total attended, including Hardi's family and friends.

Between 2 jobs and school...........it's dead week.......I have been absolutely swamped. I actually, just finished a test 5 minutes ago! The shop supervisor has been out all week with flu, so I am having to cover his absence as well!

The ride wasn't without issues, as we did have very nasty crash! It's always a concern when riding in formation with unfamiliar or new riders. There was a pre-ride briefing, but the road guard procedures were not covered. All rides I have been on with road guards has them passing on the left side of the column. Not sure what happened in this case. I was the only ADV bike to make the ride, and since Growler has strobes, I ran sweep.

One of the road guards went to pass the column of riders on their right, and was going really fast. Somehow, he hit a HD Roadglide from the rear with a husband and wife on board, which sent them into the rear of the Roadglide in front of them, with another husband and wife on board.....................that resulted in 3 scattered scooters and 5 seriously injured riders!!

I know the 4 on the baggers were not wearing helmets, resulting in at least 2 of them with serious head injuries! Only one rider was in full leather, the rest ended up with ankle, knee, shoulder, hand and hip injuries. Lesson here, always wear gear!!

We rode past Hardi's house, then out to the cemetery where she is buried. There was to be a mass balloon release, but the balloons were in a vehicle that took family and friends of the downed rider to the hospital, so only a couple were released. A prayer vigil was held, with honors done by a CMA Chaplain, and several of Hardi's family thanked everybody for being there in a show of support.

Afterwards, most riders rode to Coleman for a late lunch at the Buggy Wheel restaurant, while myself and a a handful of others elected for a diner in Santa Anna.

These pics were taken early, a whole lot more bikes showed up in groups after I took these.

Attachments

• 20221112_113945.jpg
    20221112_113945.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221112_113358.jpg
    20221112_113358.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20221112_113356.jpg
    20221112_113356.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221112_113354.jpg
    20221112_113354.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20221112_113352.jpg
    20221112_113352.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221112_113347.jpg
    20221112_113347.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the update. Very sad about the injuries. That's a big group of riders. I can imagine riding in the cold without a helmet. I can't imagine a "real" ride without a helmet even in great weather. So sorry for the injured riders. I hope they fully recover. That's a good lesson about pre-ride briefings needing to be thorough.

In the end, Hardi was well remembered and the family was supported. I'm sorry I missed it.

We wanted to come and give a special thanks to everyone who braved the cold weather to bring awareness to Justice4Hardi on November 12th. The family greatly appreciated the huge display of support and the warm embrace of your kindness. Since the family was unable to attend the burial ceremony (the mother disallowed), this was our funeral. You guys made is something special. THANK YOU. At the same time, our hearts go out to the bikers involved in the accident. It was heart wrenching to watch the first responders taking care of the riders who were only there to support our Hardi. We are praying for a full and total recovery.

Thanks again for your support during this trying time. Now, that the DA has started to file charges, we may finally get some answers to "What happened to Hardi?"

Hey Devin, We wouldn't miss it for any reason!!

If at all possible, I will try to atrend some of the court hearings in person!

Having been a foster parent to 3 troubled and abused boys, this cause is very close to my heart, and very important!

I will keep in touch! CTW

Just saw on the lical news, that the mother and her "partner" have now been charged with Capital Muder for Hardi's death!!

I intend to be at as many of the court hearings as I can, in order to continue to be a voice for Hardi!! I want these two to know that there are people who will not ever let their actions go u punished!!

I want her brother, and the rest of Hardi's family to know that the TWT Family is there for them as well!!

That is very good news in this tragedy. Thanks for keeping us posted and good on you for representing to let the family know the community supports them. It makes a big difference knowing you're not alone.

Back