• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brushy Creek 11/18/06

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Last Name
McCreight
Yup, this was a dual sport run at an offroad park.

There were 15.5 of us there. No one got hurt(badly), and I think everyone had a good time. McLeod did not let us down and dropped the bike several times. I do think I beat him on dropping my bike, but that will have to be antoher discussion about that later.

Like always, I do not have a single picture, I know Jim got some.

More to come when I am at work and have time time to write:lol2:

great ride today. I caught a green thorn bush/branch/line thingy across the neck today, almost highsided in the woods. Other than that, no problems. Certainly need to do this ride again.

Sounds like it was fun. I had to work this weekend. I need a job where I don't actually have to work, but they still pay me.

I'll be watching for the next one.:rider:

What a hoot Yalllllllllllllll

Lenda,Patrick and I had a good time. Terra and Adam Thanks for bringing the drinks for lunch !!!!!!! Big Jim you go boy. It was great to see you out and about (again). It is always fun meeting the people you have been talking to on the web along with hooking up with others from past rides.
We had anything from full dressed KLR,s to 250 motocross bikes with a few cross country machines mixed in. I believe there were slightly more Dual Sport bikes and several rode to the track. It was an excellent turn out. Most of the time we had split into 2 or 3 groups. A few of the folks came out with little or no experience. By days end they were crusing through the tight trees having a riot. I lead this group most of the time. With the park being so small it was fun when we would see the fast group across the creek flying through the woods like deer.(Big Bright Green KLR included my hats off to you !)
Thanks again and it was great meeting everyone.

Lenda
Patrick
Mike Green -- Billyji

P.S. I have a blue cooler with I think B22 duct taped to the top.

FirstMan said:
McLeod did not let us down and dropped the bike several times.
Hey now I was just waving at you.. Well Using your front tire to wave as your trying to climb out of a mud hole, thats proper riding technique, right? Now you are you guys trying to tell me that the throttle isn't all ways the answer?
FirstMan said:
I do think I beat him on dropping my bike, but that will have to be antoher discussion about that later.
I guess you were just trying to show us the proper way to do the POWER splits when you went around that corner?:clap:

What a Blast. I love the twisties. Trying to hang with the smaller bikes bouncing through the woods is a blast.
That mud was worse than one of those sticky paper mouse traps to a heavy bike.

Here are some pic's. Chris (OldBMW ) is going to have to give me some lessons on how to take action photos. Sorry for the quality guys.

Nov182006001-1.jpg

Nov182006002-1.jpg

Nov182006004-1.jpg

Nov182006005-1.jpg

Nov182006006-1.jpg

Nov182006009-1.jpg

Nov182006010-1.jpg

Nov182006011-1.jpg

Nov182006012-1.jpg

Nov182006013-1.jpg

Nov182006021-1.jpg

Nov182006022-1.jpg

Nov182006024-1.jpg

Wow, great group of folks; very friendly and helpful.

Learning a lot:

* It was hugely useful to me to watch how other people ride, take lines, handle terrain, wind through trees. Gave me something of a benchmark to work with. It was also useful (and encouraging) to hear people discuss their mistakes and areas for growth.

* still recalibrating that streetriding gut feeling that "tires sliding" = "impending wreck". My comfort with the wiggly rear end action is much improved. It's down from scary to either briefly surprising or even interesting depending on the suddenness and amplitude of the wiggle. I can see the roadmap ahead leading in the direction of "slides are a blast" but my skillset isn't there yet.

* people really watch out for each other when riding in a group. I'm still learning to keep an eye on the front and rear and ride responsibly with a group. I'll get there.

* my last loop was my sloppiest: more foot dabs, unintended shifts, complete lack of coherent lines, etc. Mental and physical fatigue, I think. At least I was aware of it and dialed it back down a bit before starting up my own tree-trimming service there at Brushy Creek. :-)

* I am much more out of shape than I thought. I hope everybody else feels like an old man today. I'd hate to be the only one creaking and groaning... :-)

All in all, a real sense of fellowship with a good group of people:
P1010007.jpg

As a bonus, I got to see jim/getbent again. He and I worked together previously - he's a great guy and I figure you guys already knew that. Didn't realize jim=getbent until he hobbled over to see me.

There are a few more lo-res snaps here.

I had a great time yesterday. The first time I followed you guys thru that muddy creek bottom,I was thinking to myself,I should not be here with the KLR, this is gonna turn out bad. I made it out OK though. I did manage to drop the KLR in the mud a couple of times though.It was good meeting/riding with you guys. Lets do it again. Thanks to Mike and Lenda for lunch.

Thank you guys for letting me join in, I had a ball, even though I didn't get there until late. My favorite part of the whole property had to be the trail with the logs piles across it, now dats fun!And Adam.......good riddin dude!

It was a great get together, wish I hadn't had to leave so early I was having a blast. Lets get together and do it again soon

Outlaw6Guy said:
Thank you guys for letting me join in, I had a ball, even though I didn't get there until late. My favorite part of the whole property had to be the trail with the logs piles across it, now dats fun!And Adam.......good riddin dude!

You are an exceptional rider. Thanks for riding with me!

McLeod said:
I guess my only question is when are we going again? :rider:

I say we need to do it sometime around January February. But I think everyone should go out to a local track and just play, experience is experience.

And, as for my splits, I didn't have a clue until 2am, but I must have twisted my knee, the pain was quite sever. It got better throughout Sunday, but I was scared I had hurt something major a little while. Today it still hurts, but I can bend it and walk almost normally.

FirstMan said:
You are an exceptional rider. Thanks for riding with me!

My pleasure, and by the way, I see the makings of a good C/C racer. You need to sign up this coming season, and do a few.If you do, beware,it can be addicting!

Outlaw6Guy said:
My pleasure, and by the way, I see the makings of a good C/C racer. You need to sign up this coming season, and do a few.If you do, beware,it can be addicting!

Thanks for the compliment!!! Mike has been chanting this since we started riding together. I now think that my reaction time is starting to work its way up and I might not kill myself out there. So I will start by pre running the courses and go from there.

Also, after you left, I turned my steering stabilizer up/on and dangit, it made the front end very stable. I might not have wiped out if I had had it on previously! Now I know.

I just wanted to chirp in and say it was a treat meeting you guys Saturday. I so wish I could have ridden with ya'll. Wow Jason, it is a really small world. You did a great job keeping wheels down with the tires you had on it. I have provided Adam the SD card with all the pics on it. Hopefully, he can get them downloaded for ya'lls veiwing pleasure today. See ya'll soon. Dr says I am going to be out about 2 months before I can hop back on the BRP

dont get eager....be patient, heal up the first go round so when the nice riding weather comes back, you will be ready to go.

btw, I want to go back maybe next sunday afternoon....around 2ish....anyone else?

norestartswact said:
Lol, I was planning Saturday;-)

i will be in broken bow. If anyone wants to meet me up there Saturday I could handle a ride. My number is 9Zero3.eight1nine.9876

i'm out for saturdays for a while. Sundays though, I'm almost always open (after church, after 1pm)

Brushy Creek looks interesting. I might have to try and get up there to ride with y'all some day.

Had a blast. Where are the pictures, I swear there might be one of my KLR briefly upright behind a KTM on the track? :rider:
Good news, gravity is very consistent at this location. :headbang:

Back