• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buddy stranded in Wichita Falls with a KLR that won't start. -- SOLVED A LONG TIME AGO --

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Here is the text from his FB post.

Need help diagnosing a 2008 KLR 650 no start, I'm stranded with it away from home. Started great, then died 30 seconds later. Started up again, then cut out a mile later. Now won't start at all. I've ridden it a few hundred miles with no issues until I woke up this morning.

Any ideas?

Anyone around Wichita Falls that can help?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m no where near you so I can’t come get you. But your symptoms sound like an air intake problem. Try removing the air filter and see if it may be clogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it crank and ran at all, not likely a battery/spark issue. So has to be fuel or air. Like Bob said, check to see if filter is nasty, but I bet that isn't the issue if it was running and then suddenly stopped running. Might be dirt in fuel line, carb jet, etc,...

I am no where near there, so cannot help with retrieval if needed.

Thanks...I'll pass on the suggestions.

Didn't know if there was any KLR specific stuff to try. Seems like suggestions so far are normal troubleshooting for spark, air and fuel....which is probably all that is needed.

Check side stand switch on the KLR, they are notoriously unreliable.

Edit: Check the clutch safety switch as well.

Good point!

I didn't even think of that because mine were always permanently shorted because they were so unreliable.

Let me know if you're there tomorrow after 6 I work in Olney, I can always bring a set of ramps and grab you

I second the kick stand switch and clutch switch.
Does it turn over? If not, do you hear the starter solenoid engaging? Check you connections at the solenoid. I had an issue with this a while back and had to spread the pins to positively engage to stay connected.

If it does turn over, do you have gas in the float bowl? If the vacuum line has a leak in the petcock will not open and you may not have any gas.
Could be other things but just not enough information.

I had similar issues and had to repair my fuel cock. I ended up with the bypass kit and maked it gravity feed.
Hope you guys get it going soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the kick stand switch and clutch switch.
Does it turn over? If not, do you hear the starter solenoid engaging? Check you connections at the solenoid. I had an issue with this a while back and had to spread the pins to positively engage to stay connected.

If it does turn over, do you have gas in the float bowl? If the vacuum line has a leak in the petcock will not open and you may not have any gas.
Could be other things but just not enough information.
Agree, always go with the easy simple things first

Think they won't crank with clutch or kickstand contacts not closed. Once I had the kill switch on and i didn't realize it.
Take either spay in air box if it fires the problem is probably fuel related.

Back