• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buffalo River AR

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Not a two wheeled trip, but thought some of you guys might enjoy some of the pics.
Last weekend headed off to Ponca Arkansas with some good friends for some camping, canoeing, hiking, and of course food. We spent two days on the Buffalo river, camping along the banks that night (Friday). The other nights (Thursday and Saturday) we stayed in a really cool bunkhouse at Lost Valley Canoe and Lodging. You pay per bed for the bunk house or can rent a cabin and they have campsites. For the bunkhouse and tent sites, there's a nice bath house with coin operated showers, so I suppose that even if you weren't staying there you could grab a quick hot shower.

We also did a few local hikes that were super cool.

That Saturday was probably the most American day I've ever had. Woke up on the banks of the river, canoed a few hours seeing two bald eagles and their nest along the way. Later that night we ended up in a small down town diner, eating chicken fried steak and blackberry cobbler. All while there was a guy on stage playing Merle Haggard covers with an American flag behind him. :thumb:

I'll start with the important stuff, the food. :eat:

This was at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper AR.
The chicken fried steak was really good, though I didn't get a pic. But I did also took a stab at the Excalibur. A burger that has two grilled cheese as the buns.
IMG_6043-M.jpg

IMG_6045-M.jpg

IMG_6041-M.jpg

And this was at Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark AR on the way home.
They call this the Slop, layers of: rice, beans, pulled pork, brisket and cheddar cheese. It was heaven in a bowl.

IMG_6071-M.jpg

And a few random pics from the trip.
This was the bunkhouse, two big rooms with 4 sets of bunk beds each.

IMG_5993-M.jpg

IMG_6105-M.jpg

My spot along the river. This was my first time to really use the hammock, and I loved it. I'll share some specific thoughts on that in the hammock camping thread.

IMG_6018-M.jpg

Getting the camp fire going.

IMG_6021-M.jpg

and just enjoying the evening.

IMG_6103-M.jpg

Breakfast on the river. Instant blueberries and cream oatmeal and hot tea.

IMG_6025-M.jpg

One of the area hikes we went on, the goat trail. 6 miles round trip, that was really cool.

IMG_6038-M.jpg

IMG_6095-M.jpg

IMG_6098-M.jpg

IMG_6093-M.jpg

And this was Hawks Bill Crag. They say it's the most photographed spot in all of AR. It was a short 3 mile round trip hike.

IMG_6066-M.jpg

By the end I had a pretty good case of river feet and hiker feet. :eek2::rofl:
IMG_6076-M.jpg

Nice! Did a lot of camping and roaming on the Buffalo R more near the Harriet area for years due to a BMW rally being held there. Miss it big time.

No pic of the CFS??? It must have been good.:eat: Nice scenery and pretty area. Glad you had a good time.

No pic of the CFS??? It must have been good.:eat: Nice scenery and pretty area. Glad you had a good time.

Haha it was gone before I thought to take a pic. It was good. Especially after 2 days on the river and haven had a backpacker meal the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my "to do" list. I keep missing the spring runoff when I make my plans.
Thanks for sharing.

Haha it was gone before I thought to take a pic. It was good. Especially after 2 days on the river and haven had a backpacker meal the night before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had to put the roll over the spot I ate on and take the pic that way.:photo: I have had as many good as bad I think.

I had a okay one yesterday in Temple,a tad gristly in a few spots. Decent fries and gravy.

By the end I had a pretty good case of river feet and hiker feet. :eek2::rofl:
IMG_6076-M.jpg

Uh oh, foot boo boos. I don't hike near as much now that I'm at Medicare age, but I used to enjoy a 5-miler almost every day of a vacation. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pix.

No pic of the CFS??? It must have been good.:eat:

Drew, your mind follows pretty predictable patterns. :rofl: BTW, we have a potential CFS run coming up - how's the shoulder doing?

Great report. Looks like loads of fun.

Where was the cabin?

Back