• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Build a 3 bike herd under $6k each

Reaction score
If you had no motorcycles and could build a new herd with 3 used bikes all under $6k which would they be?

I’m looking for a newer used RT and this question popped in my head. For the same price I could get 3 cheaper bikes and there are so many good ones around that $6k mark. I currently only have a KTM 690.

edit: $6k for each bike totaling $18k which is the same price as one newish BMW R1200RT

Last edited:
I think you get away with 2 actually. For road, literally anything in the BMW boxer range that takes your fancy only avoiding the servo-brake system years (I had an RS with that, worked great & I never had an issue but it's getting long in the tooth by now). Telelever front end is not a problem.

For dirt and trail, something light & easy to drop without concern about replacing parts. Magic button starting is a must as is EFI & a decent oil sump, if you can stretch to the more exotic Euro brands then sub-500cc (they're typically lighter) if staying in the Land of the Rising Sun, sub 400cc.

MCN sums up the boxer pretty much spot on, relates to the 1150GS but pretty true across the range in your price point -

And here's a candidate begging for it's stock windscreen back -

Or for more mile eating (the MOA sticker pretty much guarantees this bike has been looked after well)-

Bennett's pretty much nails it for the RT -

Sticking with Japanese bikes for reliability and cost of maintenance-

DRZ 400-https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Suzuki-DR-Z-400S-5015459088 $4399 Feel free to substitute the 250cc trail bike of your choice if you don't need it to be street legal.

Africa Twin-https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2016-Honda-AFRICA-TWIN-5015404809 $7900 There's a cheaper options, but this one is absurdly low mileage. If you aren't an ADV guy, sub a low mileage Gold Wing in this slot.

Sport Bike-take your pick https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-Sportbike/motorcycles-for-sale?type=Motorcycle|356953&category=Sportbike|2001443&price=5000:5700&condition=U&engineSize=500:900&sort=price:asc

A DR650 for adventure riding, some older enduro bike (not picky as to what), and an older sorry touring bike like an FZ1.

Personally, I'd rather spend $12k on a good adventure touring bike for most riding and then get a sub $6k dirt bike. I'd prefer one nice bike for most uses and a beater dirt bike I can thrash without much concern. Heck, maybe a trials bike instead.

Not difficult at all to get a solid quality low-miles bike for $6k. Helps if you are patient and look past just your local area.

seems like it would be pretty much a no brainier at $6k each. Maybe I just have cheap tastes in motorcycles. But I don't do "adventure" type riding or bike camping kind of touring. I guess I'm just not getting what the three bikes would be or why it would be a challenge to get them for $6k each. Motorcycles of all types are abundant used for under $6k.

As I understand the rules of this hypothetical, I’m supposed to assemble a stable of three motorcycles without spending more than $6K on any one bike.

Given those rules, I believe I’d start with a pure dirt bike. For me, that means a two stroke. I’d likely buy the newest, cleanest KTM 300 I could get for under the price restriction.

Next, I’d probably go with something in the adventure touring arena. Most likely I’d try to track down a used V-Storm 1000. Reliability, comfort, and familiarity with the power plant (from my days riding an SV1000) are the main contributing factors here.

Finally, something entertaining for commuting and short jaunts. A supermoto would be tempting, but I’d likely settle on a used Duke 690. I’ve come close to buying one a few different times, but never could convince myself to do it as my only road legal bike. This hypothetical would fix that problem.

If we bend the rules to allotting the $18K budget to buying three bikes without a cap on the price of each, things would be different. I’d spend much less on the dirt bike (something like my current 20 year old YZ 250 could be gotten for less than a couple grand), then spend more on the street legal stuff.

Last edited:
As I understand the rules of this hypothetical, I’m supposed to assemble a stable of three motorcycles without spending more than $6K on any one bike.

Given those rules, I believe I’d start with a pure dirt bike. For me, that means a two stroke. I’d likely buy the newest, cleanest KTM 300 I could get for under the price restriction.

Next, I’d probably go with something in the adventure touring arena. Most likely I’d try to track down a used V-Storm 1000. Reliability, comfort, and familiarity with the power plant (from my days riding an SV1000) are the main contributing factors here.

Finally, something entertaining for commuting and short jaunts. A super too would be tempting, but I’d likely settle on a used Duke 690. I’ve come close to buying one a few different times, but never could convince myself to do it as my only road legal bike. This hypothetical would fix that problem.

If we bend the rules to allotting the $18K budget to buying three bikes without a cap on the price of each, things would be different. I’d spend much less on the dirt bike (something like my current 20 year old YZ 250 could be gotten for less than a couple grand), then spend more on the street legal stuff.
OOH! Lots of good stuff here. I sold my really nice EXC-300 stroker for $1,200 so lots of change from $6K there. Year model is pretty much immaterial too.

For a sub-$6K road bike how about a VFR or Suzuki TL series, major bang for the buck with either?

PB

well $6K each on three bikes would look something like this
  1. Kawasaki KLR650 - Gen 1 well outfitted
  2. Kawasaki ZRX1200R
  3. Kawasaki Concours
Well that list could also fit in about $6K total.
  1. Kawasaki KLR650 - Gen 1 (Already own this and have about $1500 in it total)
  2. Kawasaki ZRX1200R (This could work for $3000)
  3. Kawasaki Concours ($2500)
Ok $7K but close enough

3 bikes under $6k....

1. Gen 1 Kawasaki KLR650 - ~$2500
2. Gen 2 '94-'03 Honda Magna (VF750C) - $~2500
3. Honda Trail 90 - ~$1000

KLR is your favorite Swiss Army knife, it's not perfect for any one thing, but it can do everything you need it to.

The Magna is another good all around bike, hampered only by a poor range (~100 miles before reserve). With a good set of tires, it's like having the wow factor of a sport bike, yet in a comfortable cruiser frame. 10k redline? Yes please. Glorious V4 noise? Music to my ears.

When the nuclear apocalypse comes, the cockroaches will be riding Trail 90s to the Twinkie factory.

Less than $6k in each of these 3, not bad I'd say. Plus I remain Beemer-less and can ride down dirt roads as well.

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

Since there seems to be some justifiable confusion regarding whether this is supposed to be $6K per bike or $6K total, I'll submit my answer for a $6K total investment:

1st gen KLR...the older and cheaper the better. I definitely wouldn't put more than $2500 into it.
1st gen SV650, 90s Katana (600 or 750), or V-Max. Same $2500 limit on this one.
Some kind of Chinese scooter purchased new for $100 or less.

This one isn't nearly as much fun as I don't really want any of these bikes aside from a V-Max (even then I'd want one better than a $2500 example) and a cheap scooter. I'm also probably cheating in assuming I can keep my current YZ250.

Boringly, I'd get two of the three I already own:
XR650L - any year, $2500
2010-2015 Versys: $2500
Then if I have to buy a 3rd, a TW, VanVan or some other low displacement dual sport.

If it's 6k EACH - well, that's really a BUNCH of money in today's used market.
* FJ09 would CERTAINLY be on the list
* KTM 690, husky 650 or similar, fuel-injected big thumper dual sport
* Humm, dunno. Himalayan? Bonne?

2005 Vstrom
2005 KTM 450

Both for under 6K . With the rest of the money go anywhere and ride anything you like.

3 bikes under $6k....

1. Gen 1 Kawasaki KLR650 - ~$2500
2. Gen 2 '94-'03 Honda Magna (VF750C) - $~2500
3. Honda Trail 90 - ~$1000

KLR is your favorite Swiss Army knife, it's not perfect for any one thing, but it can do everything you need it to.

The Magna is another good all around bike, hampered only by a poor range (~100 miles before reserve). With a good set of tires, it's like having the wow factor of a sport bike, yet in a comfortable cruiser frame. 10k redline? Yes please. Glorious V4 noise? Music to my ears.

When the nuclear apocalypse comes, the cockroaches will be riding Trail 90s to the Twinkie factory.
Although I'll admit the Trail 90 does have some redeeming qualities (like being the anti-bike bike) this has to be the collection most likely to put you to sleep!

🧐

Instead of three $6k bikes, I'd rather have two for $18k. $9k opens you up to some much nicer hardware. Two bikes covers a wide range. I could be plenty happy with a SPORT tourer and a sport TOURER.

For $6K total I would pick:

CT90 ~ $1,000
DRZ400 ~ $2,500

CT90 for around town errands, it's a hoot. Also good for rough stuff if trailered. Don't laugh, it's done Black Gap and BB State Park more than once.
DRZ400 for the dual sport, ride to get there, ride there, ride home.

That leaves $2,500 and the question I would ask is what gets me to Alaska in comfort and reliability? The other two bikes can do all but the long road trips in comfort. I'm thinking older Vstrom, Bandits (great deals I've seen here for sale over the years), or a Burgman 650. Likely the best would be to keep away from picking which one and just see what is the best road bike that falls into your lap. A connie would do but I don't know if I've seen a good one for less than about $3500.

For $6K total I would pick:

CT90 ~ $1,000
DRZ400 ~ $2,500

I'm thinking older Vstrom, Bandits (great deals I've seen here for sale over the years), or a Burgman 650.

I totally agree with your choices but from my experience just browsing CL and also actually trying to buy used motorcycles, I think it's a pipe dream to reasonably buy anything but junkers that need lots of work for those prices. A complete, working CT90 is far more likely to cost $2K, and a good DRZ400 ready to go ride is more like $4K as long as the seller hasn't farkled it and doesn't expect to be paid for his bad taste. And I have never seen a non-wrecked, usable V-Strom for under $3500, no matter the age.

You could probably get a usable Bandit for $2500 though. And a DR350 could be had for $2500. But I can't come up with a good sub for the CT90 with your extra grand. I just don't see any running motorcycles that can be ridden away with a clear title for sale for $1K unless they are made in China time bombs.

Cheapskate in me likes the 3-bike $6K total challenge though! For me:

$1500 -- Genuine Stella
$2000 -- look hard for a serviceable DR350
$2500 -- depending on taste, either an SV650 (with patience), Honda Shadow 750, KZ1000(p), or a Bandit

I happen to have a good start on the 3-bike $6K collection, and I could finish it out:
$3800 - Triumph Bonneville SE
$900 - Suzuki GS500E
$1300 (remaining from $6k budget) - I could probably get that Genuine Stella or a DR200.

BUT! my Suzuki took $1000 worth of work to get it roadworthy. So that blows my budget by far.

Last edited:
Back