• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Burgman 650 rider new to the group

My average is always close to 42 MPG. Wyoming mountains, 42. Texas, 42.
Another Burgman rider here. :rider: I typically get the high forties during my normal commutes and rides. One of these days, I hope to take it to the mountains to find out there too.

here's my old '06 burg 650, this is how it looked when i first brought it home.
SAM-0168.jpg

bike had 2k miles when i bought it. note the taller windshield, orig owner was over 6' tall, and the rear passenger back rest added...and my dog's a terrier & poodle mix

4 yrs later, this is how it looked w/ 14k miles .
650-FS.jpg

note how i raised up the driver's back rest. Nothing to buy
to relocate it higher, i only needed to redrill 3 new mounting holes from existing. In this raised position, backrest still retained the factory forward/backward slide and adjust lever under seat.

and..can't resist ...dark side money shot....:storm::storm:

650-FS-5.jpg

Last edited:
Dao, I'm guessing the car tire will last many more miles than a scooter tire and still handles well enough. A win-win situation.

Scooters are so convenient for around town and short highway trips that I wondered about gear. Do U.S. scooter people wear all the gear all the time? Any gear? I'm paranoid on a bike and spend a lot of time gearing up and down. Scooters may not have as many accidents as motorcycles. I've only seen a few scooters in the wild and a helmet may be all the gear I see. Not gearing up (except for a helmet), wind and weather protection, and under seat storage all are big selling points for scooters. I have ridden MacDaddy's Xmax and was impressed with it.

I have slid upside down on the highway after dropping my bike. It was 50 years ago but it's still a strong memory.

All the riders in my group wear full gear when we ride. From personnel experience I can tell you that if you go down at highway speed on a scooter it is just the same as if you go down on any other motorcycle. All the injuries will be just them same. The scooter offers you no more protection than any motorcycle offers. You see all that body work but it is just plastic and it disintegrates when you hit the road.

As for number of accidents being less on a scooter I doubt it. There is nothing about a scooter that makes it less accident prone. It is a motorcycle plain and simple. It handles like any other motorcycle and you use all the same handling techniques to control it that you would on any other motorcycle.

The under seat storage and wind/weather protection are nice though.

Dao, I'm guessing the car tire will last many more miles than a scooter tire and still handles well enough. A win-win situation.

Scooters are so convenient for around town and short highway trips that I wondered about gear. Do U.S. scooter people wear all the gear all the time? Any gear? I'm paranoid on a bike and spend a lot of time gearing up and down. Scooters may not have as many accidents as motorcycles. I've only seen a few scooters in the wild and a helmet may be all the gear I see. Not gearing up (except for a helmet), wind and weather protection, and under seat storage all are big selling points for scooters. I have ridden MacDaddy's Xmax and was impressed with it.

I have slid upside down on the highway after dropping my bike. It was 50 years ago but it's still a strong memory.
Good evening Zephyr.
I can't speak for Dao but I can tell you that in my experience the CT on the back is good for about 18-20K miles. I am on my second one with zero complaints or issues.
As with the CT, the gear issue is from my experiences. My riding gear is an Olympian textile jacket with armor and pads. Riding gloves of a few different brands but always on. Heavy foot wear with composite toes and an HJC modular helmet. If I am on a trip I wear the padded (and ventilated) riding pants but short trips or commuting, heavy jeans are in order. I think it is more than many I see but like you, I went off a bike many years ago and the bike and I slid down the road for a short distance before parting ways. I didn't have riding gear (wasn't heard of back then) but I was dressed in my best farming clothes with a helmet and work gloves. I learned the value of riding gear in some form or another from my mistake on the bike.

Mrs. SwampFox has a car tire on her Burgman 650, but it's a different animal with a sidecar, where the car tire as the "pusher" definitely improves traction and braking.

As for gear, I'm similar to Buffalo & dcotop. It's always helmet, gloves & jacket. Plus riding pants & boots if venturing beyond the local neighborhood.

Thanks for the Atgatt replies. I gear up for every ride. Some riders ask "aren't you hot?" Yes, I am and it takes time to get everything on and off. When I dropped my Bandit two months ago I had a cement scuff mark on my helmet. Without it I might have had a head injury. Scooters are neat, unique, and in many ways more practical but the gains aren't enough to hook me right now.

Thanks for the Atgatt replies. I gear up for every ride. Some riders ask "aren't you hot?" Yes, I am and it takes time to get everything on and off. When I dropped my Bandit two months ago I had a cement scuff mark on my helmet. Without it I might have had a head injury. Scooters are neat, unique, and in many ways more practical but the gains aren't enough to hook me right now.
It's funny, the times I haven't had a scooter, I wanted one and the times I didn't have a cycle, I wanted one. Now again I have both. This time a C650 Sport (it is like a bigger TMax) and just got an 08 R1200R. I wanted a classic style cycle without plastic that can do 2 up for a weekend trip and the R can do that.

Robert, 90% of my scooter usage =short rides, between 4 blocks and 3 miles one way. I don't gear up w/ pads. Just jeans, shirt,& helmet. i zip through the neighborhoods, avoiding all the main connecting streets w/ lights.

anytime I go for long distances & on interstate, i zip into my onesie
burg.jpg

20140828-124830.jpg

Thanks for sharing the words about your drop of the bike. I do not believe there should be helmet laws but I do believe that an experienced and knowledgeable rider would not go without the gear. As far as having a scooter or not. I hear ya. I have a few bikes in the garage at any given time and for the last few yeas my time has been divided between my Burgman 650 and my Triumph Trophy SE. Both hold a fascination for me for different reasons. I thoroughly enjoy both bikes but can see the day when the Burgman will be my main bike. It does not excite me with power or handling and is not the smoothest riding bike I have ever been on but it does duty for commuting and touring without missing a beat. I do like running into a bunch of riders when on a long trip on the Burgman and having them ask if I rode it to whatever location I might be. I almost hate to admit it but the Burgman is like an old pair of boots. It's comfortable and predictable and as reliable as a hammer. Nothing exciting to see there but it feels good when you are riding it.

The only time I am not ATGATT is when I do a quick ride up and down close roads to exercise Piglet from sitting a while. Otherwise I am full gear with Sidi boots, mesh padded pants and jacket, full face helmet, and gloves. Just purchased new Rev'it air pants and jackets for wifey and I and couldn't be happier. Yes it is hot and time consuming but after sending a Spyder up a tree a few years ago I am a true believer in full gear.

Found this old pic.
...you long timers on here should know who that Beemer guy is in the day glo jacket .....?????
377395-320786241268460-603992590-n.jpg

In a sea of big fat ADV & touring bikes....

there she is, my even porky'er burg 650....
380434-320786304601787-1823957720-n.jpg

Back