• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Burnt Clutches and Broken Parts at the BBBK

Deserts are funny that way.... that dusty stuff turns to sticky mud with a little bit of rain....

Most excellent ride report Zrod. :clap:

Spending an unplanned night under the stars in Big Bend. Unfortunately, I've been there and done that. :doh:

Oh well, all's well that ends well, right fellas?!?!

PS...GSDude stood me and Scooter up. Hmphf. *arms crossed, foot tapping, nose in air*

Thanks Sandy, it was wild that most everyone that said they were goin on that ride actually went, considering the weather forecast for the area.
It was supposed to be a winter getaway ride!:doh:
Dean lives down the street right, bet you guys get ahold of him this summer for a ride in your most excellent area of New Mexico.:rider:
Cheers and see Ya out there somewhere,
Rod:sun:

Hay this is Terlingua, I see you found the Hilton. Its been there for miny a year. I guess you didn't find the tower out there are the water falls up near the old bridge. But guess you now know what I was talking about with the mud out there. The trick is keep them tires spining real hard it keeps the mud sloung off them.

klrno2 said:
PS...GSDude stood me and Scooter up. Hmphf. *arms crossed, foot tapping, nose in air*

Scooterhose didn't PM me your number until I had already gone. Sorry!!:yawn:

BTW, I do miss yer gravy!!!

What an adventure, excellent report Rod. I almost felt like I was there but then again I will wait until it is not so muddy.

TwistedFate said:
Scooterhose didn't PM me your number until I had already gone. Sorry!!:yawn:

BTW, I do miss yer gravy!!!

Who are you? and how do you know anything of my gravy? and what the heck are you yawning about?

Isn't Lajitas a beautiful quaint little town!
I was impressed at how nice and clean and manicured it was.

Picture271.jpg

Picture288.jpg

Picture268.jpg

Picture278.jpg

Picture275.jpg

WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!!!:eek2:

Picture308.jpg

Picture306.jpg

Looks like a real adventure:trust: Great report:clap: Coulda done w/o that one pic:rofl:

zrod said:
Isn't Lajitas a beautiful quaint little town!
I was impressed at how nice and clean and manicured it was.

Back when I used to raft the river, Lajitas was a typical little western town. The old boardwalk was there, the mercantile and a little saloon that had an open-air pool table in the shade. It was a great mid trip stop where you could re-supply, knock back a few cold ones and have a steak before continuing down river. In my opinion, money has ruined what used to be an great experience suitable for the region.

Once, we were loading the raft when two dusty caballeros come blasting across the river, Winchesters in their scabbards and all, rode up to the saloon, tied up and washed the dust down. It was like a step back in time. You sure won't see anything like that out there nowadays.

Pretty cool Desert Skies, thanks for addin a bit of ole time flavor to the town.
Guess things ain't what they used to be but that's sorta how I imagined the town as I walked through.
Speakin of ole time flavor, I'm thinkin I did get to sample a bit of the ole time dried up biscuits and gravy at the restaraunt that we had breakfast at.:eat:
Prolly early 1900s biscuits, but only $10.
Usually vintage food costs a lot more I'm sure.:trust:
That's more than likely why the waitress rounded off my change 20 cents in her favor.:rofl::shrug:
Rod

Tourmeister said:
:tab An excellent lesson in how to NEVER take a days ride out there for granted!! :lol2: When riding in Colorado, I thought ahead about what I'd need to survive a cold night on a mountain side. Water, food, an emergency first aid kit, and something to start a fire with. A tarp and rope were also in my bag. Had all that on the Big Bend trip in our pics above as well. Once we hit mud like you guys experienced, we backtracked out and stuck to the pavement for the rest of our trip. Those big GS's don't play well in the serious mud :nono:

Yup I carry one of those emergency blanket thingies that have the "reflects 90% of your body heat" on the front just in case of something like that and a minimal first aid kit. They are very small and weight nothing. Almost as important as a flattened 1/2 roll of duct tape and JB weld I guess. :)

I always have something to start a fire with, that and I carry a small tool set with everything I need to do any maintenance on the bike, which I use to do all my maintenance on the bike. Whenever I find something I can't do I go find a miniature tool to do it with and add it to the bike kit.

That mud reminds me of the Gumbo down around Alvin I rode through so much of as a kid.

Water, power bars, extra socks and one change of clothes is about it other than that.

Last edited:
Back