• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buying bike parts from an individual on-line

Reaction score
At the back of the pack and out of the dust
So far my purchases from individuals on line have been limited to TWT and the C&C 27 fleet. Both of these are relatively close knit groups and I have no qualms about sending a check to someone that I've never personally met if they are well known to either group.

I have a chance to buy something from a member of another forum, and while I don't expect the guy to stiff me, I'm still wondering how y'all handle on line purchases from people you don't know.

m

What is a check?? Lol

Make payment using PayPal for Goods & Services. If seller balks offer to pay the extra ~1% fee so you get buyer's protection.

A PayPal gift under "Friends & Family" is like cash and no protection or recourse. Same as using Western Union.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Mine have all been great. Super Tenere forum , advrider, here, and some I probably can't remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The amount of caution and concern would be directly proportionate to the size of the payment!

I'd do a search on the guy in that forum and see what his history is like. If he's a long-time member and seems in good standing I'd move forward. I'd also suggest Paypal.

Paypal seller fees are usually around 3.2% of the total transaction including shipping so something sold for $300 & shipping cost of $25 gets a $10 fee....
I recently listed some NOS $250+ home thermostats on fleabay for a good friend of mine....we offered free shipping since the thermostat would fit in a small priority box at $7.20. The thermostats sold for appx $115ea
By the time all the Ebay..Paypal & ship fees were deducted...the net to my friend was only $79ea... I didnt have the nerve to charge anything extra for my consignment time writing the ad...takin pics..answerin questions..packaging...etc
&....
I personally dont have a problem accepting checks from most folks...

Last edited:
I have purchased several thousand dollars worth of parts, or gear from forum members ZRXOA and TWT and have always done them as a gift so no paypal fees. Most of these folks have been long term forum members so I had no worries

I sell and receive funds through PayPal. Worked good so far.

I'd check his track record on the forum you're using. Also is he an established member, not first post or 2.

Also, do a search of the person's user name in Google, and see if it pops up on other forums. You run the risk it may not be the same person, but it can give you an indicator of what kind of reputation they have elsewhere if they are the same person.

I have been burned once, but that was because I didn't do my homework like everyone else is suggesting.

Highly recommend PayPal.
Buying from anyone from a forum is risky. But I haven't had any troubles yet.

I usually get phone number and after a few text and or a phone conversation I get a gut feeling.

Back