• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Buying Tires

mlinkibikr

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Little
I'm banging my head on the table, I should have known better.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a nail on a well worn tire on my GS. It was time, I had almost 6k on the old Anakee 3, and I liked how it works on the bike. Rear wheel comes off so easily, throw it in the trunk and head down to my local dealer who had one in stock at a very reasonable price. Mounted, back on the bike, and on my next ride I promptly pick up a screw and start losing pressure. Call the dealer, "By chance do you include road hazard warranty in your tire sales?", knowing full well that the answer would be no. Their response did not surprise.

I know better. This has happened before. Which is why I have previously bought my tires at Cycle Gear and always pay the extra for the road hazard warranty. And why I picked up the phone and put Cycle Gear on the task of getting a new one in stock for me.

I try real hard to patronize my dealer. But I should have known better in this situation. I thought I would pass this along for those of you who haven't thought about your next tire purchase yet. Before you buy, it may be in your best interest to ascertain whether or not a road hazard warranty can be purchased for a nominal fee.

I've put like 8k miles on a plugged tire. I forgot that I had plugged it until it was time to replace it. Plug it with string and go.

I can't count how many brand new tires I've had get a puncture in the first couple hundred miles. I even had one time that when my permanent tag came in, as I was removing the temp tag on my brand new bike there was a screw right there in the tire. Plugged all of them and ran them till they were wore out without issues. I don't plug sidewalls obviously but only had that happen once.

I know I've said this before but on my last bike I rode more miles on plugged tires than non-plugged tires. I sold it with 102k miles on it. Cat turd that sucker and ride on.

Or, since it is a GS size it will fit my Tenere, just send it to me and I'll gladly plug it and ride on it.

I do have a tire plug kit, the problem is that this is so close to the shoulder that it would gnaw on me. In my gas station days we would patch tires from the inside, they would hold forever. Replaced a lot of leaky plugs, but it sounds like the cat turd is better now. In fact I should replace my plug kit, it's probably been under the seat of various bikes for at least 20 years ...

Plug it, shhhh don’t tell I rode several thousand miles with 3 plugs in back tire. Front tire I have and will plug but I’m very very carful how I do it. But when your miles from home I’m not walking. If your not comfortable with plug don’t, if you are ok with it plug it (plenty of glue) and ride. I’ve been using ride—on in new bike we’ll see.

I’ve plugged my rear tire before, and I wouldn’t have a problem doing so again. I might have second thoughts about doing a front tire, but then again that second thought would be fleeting. I don’t think that if a plug ever failed that it would be catastrophic. If anything I would think it would be a slow leak. Now if I were racing or doing any risky riding I might have a different opinion.

I recently purchased a bike from a dealer and added tire / wheel roadside hazard protection. I don't remember what the asking cost was of the protection plan but I negotiated them down to $350. I just had Ridenow replace the rear Road 5 due to a nail near the sidewall on a tire with 4k miles in it. They would have charged $350 otherwise. I know this option isn't available to everyone, but I got a good amount of crap from buddies for adding the protection when I got the bike. I'd do it again given the choice.

Back