• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cafe Sportster Project Update!

I've been a bit remiss in getting these up sooner.
The first phase is pretty much done, hope you like the pics!

So, we started with this:
CsfeSportster004-1.jpg

And built this:

Dyna2009.jpg

Dyna2013.jpg

Some of the highlights:

Digital speedo and tach:
Dyna2011.jpg

LED headlight and lower bars:
Dyna2010.jpg

Relocated coil and key switch and cleaned up wiring harness:
Dyna2012.jpg

Rearsets, intake and pulley cover:
Dyna2015.jpg

Ohlins goodness, seat, and exhaust:
Dyna2014.jpg

I'm really happy how it turned out and the bike is a blast to ride!:rider:

Last edited:
Very nice. Did you fab the rear sets? How exposed are the master cyl and reservoir to being struck by the riders boot? It's hard to tell from the full on side view.

Did you do any tuning on the forks to match the Ohlins? And did you leave the fender bracing on the forks? I pulled my fender brace when I removed the front fender for a while, and the forks became twitchy and spindly. Not happy!

Are you leaving the primary drive exposed? I've done the same on my Thruxton and tinkering with fabbing a light weight steel exposed cover to go back on. I kinda like the open clutch covers you see on Ducati, but the open look has a base agrarian feel that I like.

The exhaust and air intake are huge changes, even the seat makes a big difference in the lines. I like it MUCH better.

What's next on your list? The Sportster is one of my favorite Harleys. Nicely done! :clap:

Very nice. Did you fab the rear sets? How exposed are the master cyl and reservoir to being struck by the riders boot? It's hard to tell from the full on side view.

Did you do any tuning on the forks to match the Ohlins? And did you leave the fender bracing on the forks? I pulled my fender brace when I removed the front fender for a while, and the forks became twitchy and spindly. Not happy!

Are you leaving the primary drive exposed? I've done the same on my Thruxton and tinkering with fabbing a light weight steel exposed cover to go back on. I kinda like the open clutch covers you see on Ducati, but the open look has a base agrarian feel that I like.

The exhaust and air intake are huge changes, even the seat makes a big difference in the lines. I like it MUCH better.

What's next on your list? The Sportster is one of my favorite Harleys. Nicely done! :clap:
I was going to fab some but the chainsickle rearsets were too cost effective to pass up.
The m. cyl./reservoir do not foul the riders foot.
I installed Race Tech internals in the forks to compliment the shocks.
I also installed an RSD fender brace to give the front end some much needed rigidity.
I'll leave the belt cover off
I fabbed a sprocket cover and powdercoated it black to clean up the exposed sprocket, you can make it out pretty well in the pic.
As far as next?
I'll probably chop the rear fender a bit, go to bar end mirrors, and may cut the cam cover as well.
Glad you like it!

Looks really nice. what exhaust is that?
Thanks, it's a D&D.

Last edited:

Cog

Just saw this bike on the floor at the Mancuso Harley/Crossroads shop. Looks like the previous owner added a DynaJet auto-tuner. Starts right up and looks and sounds awesome. Not sure what they're asking. Bike has about 7200 miles on it.

Just saw this bike on the floor at the Mancuso Harley/Crossroads shop. Looks like the previous owner added a DynaJet auto-tuner. Starts right up and looks and sounds awesome. Not sure what they're asking. Bike has about 7200 miles on it.
No, the auto tuner was installed when I built it.

Cog

Beautifully done, Patrick. Even three years later, the bike looks great. Obviously well taken care of. :thumb: