• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Calling out the Lurkers and New folks!

Howdy, I live in Austin.
Just turned 31.
I used to own a cb350f, but it was a project I never finished. I'm getting laid off at the end of the year and plan to buy a bike (and gear of course) with my severence package... assuming I've found another job and don't have to live off that money. :)
A lot of my friends from UT have bikes and they keep urging me to get something and go ride with them... I'm a totaly noob when it comes to riding though, so I'm afraid they'd want to go faster than I was comfortable.
I took the MSF course about 10 years ago, but never got my liscence.
The bikes I'm considering are the gs500e or f, sv650, and the new ninja 650. Which one will probably be determined by how much money I have left after I buy the safety gear. :)

Hey Travis, welcome to the site!

:tab If it has been 10 years and you never rode much after taking the class, you might give serious consideration to taking it again. Once you get a bike, I would be extremely cautious about going out on group rides right away. You would be much better off putting a few thousand miles on the bike by yourself. This way you can get used to riding and the bike without having to worry about the pressures of group riding. Of the bikes you mentioned, that ninja 650 is a screamer... Insurance premiums will likely be VERY high. The SV650 would be great and they are a blast to ride.

:tab Keep an eye on the Upcoming Events forum as there is a regular bike night. Right now they are meeting at Rudy's BBQ on 620 on Tuesdays, but they may change it so watch for the posts.

The Ninja 650R and the sv650 have virtually identical specs, are you sure you aren't thinking of the 636? :confused:
I had planned to retake the MSF course and get some miles under my belt before I did anything. 8-)

:tab Whoops... my bad. The R would be nice. I would just be leary of all that body work. Not sure what your riding experience is, but a drop or two on the side in a parking lot could be expensive ;-) However, the streetability of the V-twins is nice!

I am still a lurker but I now have a new (for me) bike. Found a 2005 FLSTCI under MSRP (believe or not) and managed to get the dealer to come down on the OTD price (again, believe it or not). Going from a 1991 Yamaha Venture to Heritage Softtail Classic will take a bit to get used to but I'll manage. It will be a rare Harley, I will keep it stock as I like the way it looks and sounds now. Never have been a fan of load/custom pipes but to each his own. I live in Spring and don't need much of an excuse for a ride.
to Tourmeister: this is a wonderful site and I have passed it on to several folks here in my office with the reaction from most "COOL!" thanks

I has been lurking for a while so here goes
I ride a Honda ST1100 and a KTM 950 Adventure, live in the Katy area. I have been exploring the unpaved back roads in the surrounding counties since getting the 950. Big Bend and Fort Davis seem to be my favorite riding destinations, just rode out there and spent the night last weekend.

I found the "written test" made me more nervous than the rider's test. I had a fantastic time during the training class. I bet you would have a blast too! I was elated when my new driver's license came in the mail with "C M". Good Luck ;-)
Travis R said:
Howdy, I live in Austin.
Just turned 31.
I used to own a cb350f, but it was a project I never finished. I'm getting laid off at the end of the year and plan to buy a bike (and gear of course) with my severence package... assuming I've found another job and don't have to live off that money. :)
A lot of my friends from UT have bikes and they keep urging me to get something and go ride with them... I'm a totaly noob when it comes to riding though, so I'm afraid they'd want to go faster than I was comfortable.
I took the MSF course about 10 years ago, but never got my liscence.
The bikes I'm considering are the gs500e or f, sv650, and the new ninja 650. Which one will probably be determined by how much money I have left after I buy the safety gear. :)

I found this site a few weeks ago and have been reading up. I used to own a 1999 Kaw zx6r. I crashed it in 2001 and have just recently started riding again. I dont have a bike yet but after riding my brother inlaws sv650 Ive decided thats what Im going to get. I recently rented a '05 FZ6 for a weekend and while it was fun I really didnt like the bike too much. Probably going to rent the 05 sv650 that they have and give that a go.

Looks like you guys have a good site here and everyone is friendly. I'm located in the Fort Worth area, off Hulen. I look forward to meeting everyone once i get the bike.

Later,

Tim

No need to wait until you get the bike. There are several DFW area bike nights every week. Just check in the Upcoming Events forum. Welcome to the site!

Tourmeister said:
No need to wait until you get the bike. There are several DFW area bike nights every week. Just check in the Upcoming Events forum. Welcome to the site!
Yep, I made several different meets before I had the Sprint.

This could use a good bump. I wonder how many people we have lurking nowadays? We've not been adding 100 new users a month for sometime now (as was the case when this thread started in 2005), but they are still drifting in and the rate is starting to pick up again. We're getting a few new users per day, so that still works out to around 50 or so per month.

If you are out there lurking, post up and let us know what's going on. Maybe start a thread in the Introductions forum and post a pic of your ride, or just do it here. Or not... Feel free to keep on lurking. We won't come after you :-P

I am one of those who joined last month and have yet to post. So, this is my first one. Sorry for being anti-social :help:

I took the MSF back in December and bought my first bike a couple days before Christmas. I am 37 and had never ridden before but the MSF course was a lot of fun and I was looking forward to riding.

Since I’m a noob, I decided to buy a smaller bike to learn on and settled on the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650. So far, I love it and have had a great time riding on the weekends and to work. I have put just over 1,000 miles on it now. The only thing I dislike about it is the seat. Hurts like **** after sitting on it for an hour. :moon:

Attached is a pic of my ugly face and my bike.

Edit: I live in Cypress

64E87062-7394-4EEF-9C76-860F144B0F02.jpeg

EA82B114-7414-456F-8DCC-18589171DB6E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy! It’s like riding a horse, you will get calluses back there and it gets easier. Or just upgrade the seat which is a better idea

I have read stuff on this forum for well over a decade.

In all honesty, I joined because I wanted to connect with riding groups in Central Texas and learn about adventure/dualsport riding. I would like to get into that.

I am one of those who joined last month and have yet to post. So, this is my first one. Sorry for being anti-social :help:

I took the MSF back in December and bought my first bike a couple days before Christmas. I am 37 and had never ridden before but the MSF course was a lot of fun and I was looking forward to riding.

Since I’m a noob, I decided to buy a smaller bike to learn on and settled on the Kawasaki Vulcan S 650. So far, I love it and have had a great time riding on the weekends and to work. I have put just over 1,000 miles on it now. The only thing I dislike about it is the seat. Hurts like **** after sitting on it for an hour. :moon:

Attached is a pic of my ugly face and my bike.

Edit: I live in Cypress
Whoa, what a bike ! Welcome

Back