• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Calvert Cemetery

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Found today while out exploring. A very large Cemetery with examples of some very nice "old world" craftsmanship.

766285352_yRajd-L.jpg

766279828_u77Pb-L.jpg

766282206_CmUJD-L.jpg

766287490_FaDF8-XL.jpg

766280128_aFYdQ-L.jpg

766473213_zVniR-XL.jpg

766281521_ycxBd-L.jpg

766281739_oSjkE-XL.jpg

766473419_NfCxE-L.jpg

Not far from the Calvert Cemetery, there is another old one, that I did not see named, with large head stones next to the school.

766328028_dp4qc-L.jpg

I do have a question though.... Is this Hebrew that is written on the some of the head stones. Click the pictures for larger images.

766269283_gNbdp-L.jpg

766270229_d3Kcx-L.jpg

766270498_5i8VG-L.png

Last edited:
Interesting to see a historical marker at a grave site. They are usually for the entire cemetary.

Awesome shots but the only thing that bothers me are those little angel statues. Those had to have been creepy even before stuff started to grow on them and I always wonder about the guy whose business just has those sitting around waiting to be sold. But enough of my thread jack, nice pictures, my gf likes to see cemeteries so I may have to take her on a ride to that one.

Very interesting. Such sites are full of local historical interest, and too often the target of vandals. On a side note, there is also an ongoing effort to find a volunteer for various cemeteries, to gather the information there. Not sure about Calvert, but I'll check to see if someone already took that one?

Awesome shots but the only thing that bothers me are those little angel statues. Those had to have been creepy even before stuff started to grow on them and I always wonder about the guy whose business just has those sitting around waiting to be sold. But enough of my thread jack, nice pictures, my gf likes to see cemeteries so I may have to take her on a ride to that one.

:lol: What is interesting is that the very ornate head stones were placed in the very late 1800's and very early 1900's. I think that by 1915 or so they started to become more and more, whats the best word.... plain? The Woodman of the World headstones seem to have some serious longevity. Late 1800's to mid 1900's they all look very similar, but for becoming smaller for more recent ones.

:tab Jason, you seriously need to get a dualsport! There are TONS of little cemeteries all over the place around Huntsville. I used to head out with the GPS and try to find as many as I could. On my topo maps, they are marked with little blue dots. They literally dot the country side! Most of the cool ones though are on little back roads that are rarely paved. I could point you to a few though where you could ride your bike without much trouble.

I've been by that cemetery many times but never walked through it. That one has some of the largest monuments I've seen of the many around Robertson, Brazos, Madison
counties. Thanks for sharing

There are a few near me that have CSA headstones and a little earlier. Just on the N. Border of what was Austin's colony of the first Spanish land grants near the OSR.

I'm an avid history reader so that stuff fascinates me

I sometimes seek places without much diversity these days. You know, like motorcycle museums, where everyone there loves bikes. Visiting cemeteries is relaxing cause all the residents in cemeteries share such a deep common trait. Among them there is no arguing, no hatred or politics, and no violence or bud light debates. Heck none of em even drink anymore.

Back