• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Can anyone suggest a good long loop up around the dallas area?

JcatDRZ

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Some riding friends and I will be in Forney (East of Dallas) the weekend after Thanksgiving and we are looking for a couple of good long loops to ride. One for Friday, and one for Saturday. It doesn’t matter where they start or end, as long as it’s somewhat near Dallas.

Can anyone make any suggestions? Needs to be a street ride.

Thanks to all in advance!

Look out towards the lake fork area. There are many 2 lane roads that lead from I30 down to I20.

What's "Long?"
Not sure what I can help with but I live in the Forney area.
Not sure if you are looking for unpaved, but there's not a lot of that over here.

Also look at the roads from Red Oak across to Ferris and down to Ennis and back over to Waxahachie, especially 660.

What's "Long?"
Not sure what I can help with but I live in the Forney area.
Not sure if you are looking for unpaved, but there's not a lot of that over here.

An all day sort of deal. No we are looking for street riding. My 701 could handle it, but not my buds Panigale 1299 :eek2:

So....I've lived in North Texas (Arlington) for almost 50 years and have been riding for over 30.

I'd have to rate the roads around here about 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. There's just not anything that awesome to ride to around here.

Then again.... if you have 2 days, you could work your way up to Arkansas and really great roads, spend the night and then work your way home and have 2 great days of riding.

But...if you need to be home in Dallas both nights....there isn't anything I'd consider great. Texas 4 over by Mineral Wells and then a bit South has some decent stuff and there's some decent roads north of Muenster, but once again.... maybe 3.5 out of 10 IMO.

Sorry...just not a lot of great stuff around here.

Alternatively...... A Panigale 1299 on George Bush at about 150 might be fun as long as you didn't go to jail. :)

Justin, the suggestion for Arkansas is a good one if you got the time. Headed up there myself Sunday to check out some dirt in the Jeep for future reference. Wore out a many a street tire on those sweet curvy AR roads, if you've not been, you owe it to yourself and your bike. :thumb:

What 2WheelNut says, we languish over here with the boring roads. Here's a map I can't remember where I got from that I've ridden bits and pieces of. No guarantees on the whole thing. Hope you can see it.
https://drive.google.com/a/leanangle.com/open?id=1jVqNZ0E79lWayztagJ4Kwngg4ps&usp=sharing

This is one I've used during the bluebonnet season that takes advantage of the bluebonnet trails and some of the roads I've listed previously.
https://drive.google.com/a/leanangle.com/open?id=1RDnUFN0FxwPhf5lkXS-ZZNZUOH8&usp=sharing

Fixed I think. Turns out there's more to sharing them than clicking the share link and copying it and pasting it. Set to Public now.

How many miles do you want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin, the suggestion for Arkansas is a good one if you got the time. Headed up there myself Sunday to check out some dirt in the Jeep for future reference. Wore out a many a street tire on those sweet curvy AR roads, if you've not been, you owe it to yourself and your bike. :thumb:

Hey Tom, unfortunately we have to be in Forney (outside dallas) at night. I did the Bootlegger a few years ago on my 500 EXC and I wholeheartedly agree that Arkansas is premiere for anything two wheeled.

I’d say around 200 miles or so.

Here's a 172 mile route that puts you on some of the most scenic backroads in my area. Some highway speed roads with curves, some scenic 30mph neighborhood roads. All paved as far as I can tell. Most pavement is fine, some roads are bumpy in the boonies.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28931924

There's gas in Waxahachie (50 miles) and Maypearl (100 miles). Also a QuickTrip at 135 miles.

Good hole in the wall taco place in Avalon at 70 miles. Good places to eat in Waxahachie and Maypearl as well. Let me know if you need others.

If you want to export the GPX and add it to your GPS, you can click on the highlighted part (at the link above) which is shown in this pic below:
Capture.jpg

There's some good dirt in there for the 701 as well, but I routed around them since you said that your buddy was street only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang that’s awesome! Thanks man!

Here's a 172 mile route that puts you on some of the most scenic backroads in my area. Some highway speed roads with curves, some scenic 30mph neighborhood roads. All paved as far as I can tell. Most pavement is fine, some roads are bumpy in the boonies.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28931924

There's gas in Waxahachie (50 miles) and Maypearl (100 miles). Also a QuickTrip at 135 miles.

Good hole in the wall taco place in Avalon at 70 miles. Good places to eat in Waxahachie and Maypearl as well. Let me know if you need others.

If you want to export the GPX and add it to your GPS, you can click on the highlighted part (at the link above) which is shown in this pic below:
Capture.jpg

There's some good dirt in there for the 701 as well, but I routed around them since you said that your buddy was street only.

Try 740 south to I-20, go around Cedar Creek Lake point yourself toward Palestine. 315 North to 279, go West to Edom or Ben Wheeler for lunch. 773 South to Murchison, back East on 31 to 314 North back to Edom and beyond to Van. 1805 north turns into 1253 before crossing Hwy 80. Got more time skirt East side of Lake Holbrook and on to Lake Fork or Lake Towakani.
Bust out head west back to Forney anytime.
Day 2 go North to Wolfe City, Ben Franklin, Roxton, Cooper. That's about as good as gets in North Central Texas staying East of the MetroMess.

There are quite a few good roads west and southwest of Fort Worth.

FM4 from Cleburne to Palo Pinto
FM5 from Aledo to Anetta (short but nice)
FM51 from SW of Glen Rose to Weatherford (passes through Granbury - tons of traffic but some great lunch option)

Up to the Northwest there are also tons of nice roads. Just head towards this square and pick any FM road - they're all pretty decent.
3zhjflu.jpg

Try 740 south to I-20, go around Cedar Creek Lake point yourself toward Palestine. 315 North to 279, go West to Edom or Ben Wheeler for lunch. 773 South to Murchison, back East on 31 to 314 North back to Edom and beyond to Van. 1805 north turns into 1253 before crossing Hwy 80. Got more time skirt East side of Lake Holbrook and on to Lake Fork or Lake Towakani.
Bust out head west back to Forney anytime.
Day 2 go North to Wolfe City, Ben Franklin, Roxton, Cooper. That's about as good as gets in North Central Texas staying East of the MetroMess.

I'll second the SE suggestion.

I grew up near Athens and there are almost unlimited nice motorcycle FM and CR roads south, east and north of Athens.

Back