• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

can I ride your motorcycle?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
You don't ask to ride or even sit on somebody's motorcycle. If they offer then it's ok.
I have no problem asking a friend to ride their bike.

I choose which acquaintances become friends only after regularly being together on rides, at rallies, bike shows, each other's homes, etc. Some people I've known many years are still just acquaintances...

(mostly because they wouldn't let me ride their bikes)

I ride other people's bikes and let them ride mine fairly frequently.

Obviously you need to understand their skill level, financial stability and trust that they will make it right if they mess it up, but they are just motorcycles. It's not like they are priceless artifacts.

The value of a bike to me is always in the riding and enjoyment of it, not in the bike itself.

Riding with others and swapping bikes sometimes adds to that enjoyment so I'm happy to do it.

Funny, I had been thinking I should 7mosey up and meet ya in person, not just on interwebs. :thumb:
Careful, I went in search of Nemo & OLDTLSDOUG... Didn't ride any of those evil Orange Cult Bikes, but I did trailer a fine specimen of a Well Spanked&Maintained 2012 DL1000 homešŸ¤£...
However now I am also in need of one of those EVIL ORANGE CULT KTM 390 Adventure Bikes šŸ¤¬... Or a V85TTšŸ˜Ÿ... Has to be something in the water, should have followed the boil the water mandate..
Carry On

I have no problem asking a friend to ride their bike.

I choose which acquaintances become friends only after regularly being together on rides, at rallies, bike shows, each other's homes, etc. Some people I've known many years are still just acquaintances...

(mostly because they wouldn't let me ride their bikes)
I also cafefully choose who I call friend and have never asked a friend to ride their bike. I would not put them in that position. Also have never had a fiend ask to ride my bike. I have offered and at times traded , guess it's an old school thing.

My rule is this: if you can kickstart any of my motorcycles (Victory, KLR, or Trail 90), you can ride it.

The rule for the '71 Sportster decades ago was, if I can kick it I can ride it. If not, I may be drunk and should walk anyway.
That thing was a beech to start!

I just can't risk it. Seen several parking lot drops by nice guys letting a friend trying out the new ride. Perhaps a close riding buddy I've known and ride with.... then that's another matter.

I'll add that letting someone ride the dirt bikes is far less stressful than the street bikes with lots of expensive bodywork ;-) Shoot, they'll probably drop those less than I do!

Mitch it was an accident, honest...really.

At the end of the day it all just part of motorcycling. If you let folks ride yours and you ride theirs, good for you. If you prefer nobody rides yours, again, good for you. We are all different, diverse if you will, and therefore there isn't a right way or a wrong way to answer this. The fact that we can come together and discuss this definitely shows that we all love the bike thing. Without a doubt, you can bond with most anyone over a motorcycle if you just talk to them.

I'll add that letting someone ride the dirt bikes is far less stressful than the street bikes with lots of expensive bodywork ;-) Shoot, they'll probably drop those less than I do!
This. If a dirt bike gets dropped then you were probably riding it right. If you drop my street bike I'm going to be angry.

He took the "nope" pretty well, it was the right decision for all parties. He overestimates his skills in my opinion, and is cavalier on risk.
Back years ago when we rode beat up dirt bikes in Colorado that were cheap, it was not such a big deal. Traffic was light also. Bikes were not powerful. That was around 1970 or so.

One of my most embarrassing moments back in the day was a friend asked me to ride his new yamaha venture fuel injected bike. I was used to a dt400 and xl500. I loved pulling the front wheel and had flat teacked so rear wheel slides were not a big deal. After 20 minutes i was pretty comfortable with the heavy beast and started twisting the throttle way too hard. Greg was impressed when i drifted the bike around a corner and pulled the front wheel comming out of the corner. It was pure accident and i was scared to death but it was all good because somehow i did not wreck it. Greg is still a good friend and iv never told him it was an accident and i was out of control.
He still lets me ride his gold wings but im much more cautious now days.

One of my most embarrassing moments back in the day was a friend asked me to ride his new yamaha venture fuel injected bike. I was used to a dt400 and xl500. I loved pulling the front wheel and had flat teacked so rear wheel slides were not a big deal. After 20 minutes i was pretty comfortable with the heavy beast and started twisting the throttle way too hard. Greg was impressed when i drifted the bike around a corner and pulled the front wheel comming out of the corner. It was pure accident and i was scared to death but it was all good because somehow i did not wreck it. Greg is still a good friend and iv never told him it was an accident and i was out of control.
He still lets me ride his gold wings but im much more cautious now days.
I want to see a drifting wheelie on a Wing....

Back