• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HILL COUNTRY Canyon Lake for Breakfast then a dual sport/ ADV ride to Castell for lunch, then back to New Braunfels

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Waller
Looking to see if anyone would be interested in joining me for a ride. I’m planning to ride backroads with as many dirt roads as I could find to get up to Castell for lunch. I have routes to and from, starting at Granny Ds in Canyon Lake. Planning to head up through Wimberly and Johnson City via Blanco County Road 410. My gps route planner wouldn’t let me route through a water crossing on 410 so I had to create two routes. I’ve never taken that road, so I don’t know what to expect at that crossing.

After Johnson City, the route looks to be about 75% dirt roads up to Castell. The route back to New Braunfels starts with dirt roads to Prairie Mountain then paved county roads to Fredericksburg. Then it’s Old San Antonio Road to RM 473 to US 281, Rebecca Creek Road, and more backroads to the River Road Ice House in New Braunfels.

I’ll be on a KLR650. The route should be fine for any dual sport or Adv bike. I’ve taken most of this ride on a Ural and a Triumph Scrambler and had no problems other than a nail I picked up in the Ural. Nothing too extreme but water crossings, to me, are always a bit sketchy. I plan on making a day of it, hopefully on a Saturday in the not too distant future.

Anyone interested in joining me?

5c3fdecd60ad3e63cee6fd5df0602c28.jpg
11a85172befeb665b17961ba1e31d579.jpg
62f5a0f5ad367c4148e71e260d76641b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Saturday someone else is available and interested in riding

Me too. Just depends on the day and KSU time but sounds like a good route. I’m an hour south of Canyon Lake so need a head start.

granny d's, the restaurant I plan to start from, opens at 7:30 am. I plan to be there when it opens, as it is a pretty popular weekend breakfast destination and I want to make sure I don't have to wait an hour to be seated. Not only that, I want to put as many miles behind me as I can before the heat of the day. So, the earlier, the better. Of course, if anyone would rather meet somewhere else, I'm game. Just let me know. Plenty of places in actual New Braunfels for breakfast too.

Granny D's is one of our family favorites.

I'm out for 9/5 but could do 9/12 if you decide on that day.

Don’t let me change any plans, but I’m out. I’d be riding in the dark to get there and pigs down here are ridiculous. I pretty much see them every ride.

Reactions: Vec
Would a meet-up at 9 am in New Braunfels work out better? There's other places other than Granny D's for meeting. How about meeting at 9 am at the Rudy's in New Braunfels?

Gotta admit, I didn't think about things such as pigs. The deer around here are absolutely crazy. I have close calls every morning on my way to work leaving the house at 6 am.

Reactions: Vec
My daughter is marching in a parade this weekend and wants me to see that. I'm planning this ride for the 12th and will start from the Rudy's in New Braunfels around 9:00 am. From there, we'll head up River Road and then pick up the route after passing the Canyon Lake dam.

It would be great if anyone else can join me, but I'm planning on riding out there that day one way or the other. If anyone else wants to meet along the way, I'm game.

i wouldnt mind catching up south of Fredericksburg and going on up to Castell

just gotta pin down the day

If you'd like, I'll reverse the route and head first to Castell from the south and then head south-east heading back to New Bruanfels via Johnson City and all that. Just let me know. Maybe meet up around Comfort? That's a good place for a pit-stop coming from New Braunfels.

I’m doing this ride on October 12. Instead of Granny D’s at 8:00, how about the Rudy’s in New Braunfels at9:00?

This meet up works better for me, but not sure of family plans until it gets closer. I’ll let you know either way before the day.

kirk

I'm in for the 12th. But I can't decide whether to meet you at Rudy's or somewhere along the route. I'm in Spring Branch. I am thinking about meeting you in Sattler (North end of River Road).

Also, I want to make sure you're ok with the possibility of being slowed down occasionally since I'll be on my XT250. I can do 65-70 unless there's a headwind. And I'm a scaredy-cat on gravel turns. I don't want to mess up your ride.

I’ll answer this one. No one will be left behind. This is a good ride for all to go on without worry of being the one that held up the ride. I’ve ridden with @jwaller and he has an easy pace that allows you to turn your head and enjoy the scenery.

I’ll answer this one. No one will be left behind. This is a good ride for all to go on without worry of being the one that held up the ride. I’ve ridden with @jwaller and he has an easy pace that allows you to turn your head and enjoy the scenery.
@South Tex is very good at riding caboose and making sure no one gets lost

Last edited:
Cool. I've ridden with Justin when he was on his Ural (Sander's San Saba ride in 2017.. Justin saw me lose it on the algae) but not the KLR. That could be a whole different story.

Cool. I've ridden with Justin when he was on his Ural (Sander's San Saba ride in 2017.. Justin saw me lose it on the algae) but not the KLR. That could be a whole different story.

Hah! I was faster on the Ural than I’ll ever be on the KLR in the dirt. That third wheel was a real shot of confidence; I knew I couldn’t drop the Ural! I don’t want to have to pick up a KLR so I’ll be keeping the speed down in the dirt and will go the speed limit on pavement. You’ll be able to keep up.

I’m scared of losing it on the algae. That XT is a lot easier to pick up than a top heavy KLR.

Hah! I was faster on the Ural than I’ll ever be on the KLR in the dirt. That third wheel was a real shot of confidence; I knew I couldn’t drop the Ural! I don’t want to have to pick up a KLR so I’ll be keeping the speed down in the dirt and will go the speed limit on pavement. You’ll be able to keep up.

I’m scared of losing it on the algae. That XT is a lot easier to pick up than a top heavy KLR.

Not that I think about it, you did haul on the Ural... I only had a chance to maybe catch up on the straightaways. Sounds like your pace on the KLR will match mine just fine.

Is your route going to be the same as original, except the starting point?

Starting point will change but the route will mostly be the same. I may reverse the route so that we go from Sattler to Rebecca Creek Road then 281 to RM473 first so that Vec can join us along the way south of Fredericksburg.

Starting point will change but the route will mostly be the same. I may reverse the route so that we go from Sattler to Rebecca Creek Road then 281 to RM473 first so that Vec can join us along the way south of Fredericksburg.

Sounds good. I'm in for either direction. Just let me know if Sattler is not a good meeting place, then where would work for you. I'll PM you my phone #.

Back