• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Captain Tom's Seafood and Oyster Bar, Houston, TX

Reaction score
What: A seafood and oyster bar that looks like a permanently dry-docked tugboat. One thing Captain Tom's has loads of is character. It also has boatloads of customers ;-) so come early and be prepared to wait for a chair to come open. Yep, chair -- no tables at Captain Tom's. Continuing with the boat theme even in the restaurant's interior, you'll note that all the customers at the bar and sitting on the chairs that tuck under the counter that wraps around the wall, are sitting at a slant. Occasionally slipping off their chairs. That's cuz, well you know a proper ocean-going vessel of that size has a slanted deck, so Captain Tom's does too. It's all part of the ambiance. Other aspects of the ambiance are noise and controlled chaos. It might take the uninitiated a while to get the hang of the place, but it's worth it.

The seafood is incredibly fresh. Oysters on the halfshell, boiled shrimp, and a more-or-less standard variety of fried fare, which includes catfish filets,fried shrimp and oysters, stuffed crab, stuffed jalapenos, and frogs legs. Some of the best gumbo I've ever had. Cold beer and michilatas. If you like flounder, look for the sign when you walk in (it's not on the menu). They'll hang a "flounder" sign out when they have a fresh supply.

Where: Three locations in the Houston area:

9651 FM 1960 Rd W, Houston, Texas 77070 281.890.8334
20525 Katy Fwy, Katy, Texas 77450 281.829.6407
13955 East Fwy, Houston, Texas 77015 713.451.3700

Check out this link for more reviews and for links to Mapquest:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv0730.asp

Best,

Michael

Agreed.
My usual there is a few Michiladas and a big bowl o' gumbo.

See Also:
Captain Benny's on 290
Exact same concept, same quality. good stuff. :)

Micheal,

I was in Houston yesterday (Saturday). Based upon your recommendation, I went to the Captain Tom's Seafood and Oyster Bar on FM 1960.

When I pulled into the parking lot at 6:30pm, the place was packed wall-to-wall. There was a line of people extending out into the parking lot waiting to get in. At least 30 people waiting.

I didn't eat there because I was running late. I had an appointment and didn't have enough time.

I want to thank you for this recommendation. Obviously Captain Tom's is a great place to eat. It is on my list of places to visit the next time I am in Houston. I look forward to it.

Back