• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Castolon Store Burned?

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Just starting to see some reports coming out of FB that the Castolon Store burned last night. My 1st thought (after hoping all were safe) was that incredible Icebox.

Comments from the Park Service;

Big Bend National Park
5 mins Ā·
Castolon Fire Update: We are deeply saddened to report that last night the wildland fire dropped hot embers on the historic barracks, officers quarters, and restroom facilities at Castolon. These structures, which currently house the Castolon Visitor Center and La Harmonia store, as well as a park residence, have been damaged.

Wildland and structural fire crews worked through the night, with more crews on their way to help contain the fire. This is an ongoing situation, and we will update these posts when we have further information.

At this time, the Old Maverick Road, Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive, and River Road West from Buenos Aires to Castolon are closed for visitor safety and for fire crews to work as efficiently as possible.
We want to thank the fire crews for their hard work and the public for their support and patience as we are working to contain this fire.

Well ... drats ... that's unfortunate.

Hope the fire(s) is contained - without injury to the firefighters.

I was thinking the thread about dream rides, for me, simply meant going back to Big Bend and shacking up at the Gage in Marathon.
very sad that's gone. glad I got to see it.

My favorite ice cream stop . guess Iā€™ll have to go to Wyoming , Looks like itā€™s going to be my new favorite ice cream stop .

Does someone have a map ā€œpin dropā€? Is this the store at boquillas crossing? Or closer to Santa Elena? Iā€™ve been to BB half a dozen times which means Iā€™ve seen 1/8th of the park.

I think there may be rules in effect about rebuilding in the park. We ate ice cream there several times. Google News said fire jumped the river from Mexico, spread to 800 acres. Tuff news.

....a restoration is "under study" now.
This from Friends of Big Bend National Park [FB page]

"With the permission of the park, we have established the Castolon Recovery Fund. Donations made to this fund will be used to re-establish visitor services in the Castolon Historic District.
As we all know, it will take time to do proper damage assessment and determine what, if anything can be rebuilt. We ask for patience as the park moves through the process.
In the meantime, we will build up this fund so that once we get the green light, we can begin straight away.
Our thanks to those who have expressed interest in helping the park recover from this major disaster."

Yea, with the bubble gum and half drunk spilled sticky slushies everywhere.

If they could just get some TEXANS like the kind pictured in kiyoti's avatar, and not spend 10 million dollars on the thing , it could be a great place again.

Sad to hear. So glad my wife was able to visit this year during Round the Bend, she had never been to BBNP. It was my 3rd but first to stop at Castolon store. We enjoyed the day, good memories. Well, she fractured her ankle the next day but still, she liked the park and the area and wants to go back someday. Whether it gets rebuilt or not at least we got to see it before it was destroyed.

Sadly this fire took the best of the historic buildings there. Fire fighters were able to save the other old buildings including the officer's quarters and the old Alvino house. My former boss is the fire chief. When the fire first jumped the river it was heading away from Castolon. Cottonwood Campground was evacuated. The wind suddenly changed direction and swept the fire towards the old outpost. Remember the cane shade ramada that ran the length of the store and visitor center? It went up like dry matches and wicked the fire into the attic of the old adobe bunkhouse. There was no saving that building so the crews focused on what they could save and did an outstanding job. Cottonwood Campground has some vegetation burned, but the park infrastructure there was saved.

As of this morning the fire has burned an estimated 1200 acres and is still burning tonight.

Back