• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Castro County, Dimmitt Tx

cal25

Reaction score
If one visits the court house in Castro County, I suggest looking across the street to the north at the Kerr Hardware Store. It closed the year I was born, 1961. The story I read was that Mr Kerr decided to close the store than to be forced to charge his customers sales tax. What you see will amaze you. Appliances, bikes, tools, fishing tackle, you name it, all covered in dust just sitting as it was left in 1961. I wish I knew more of the story as I sure its an interesting one.

The court house it'self is one of the boring modern style court houses built in 1940. The third I believe to have served Castro County.

I have been to every county in Texas and have seen many of the court houses but not all of them.

Last edited:
If one visits the court house in Castro County, I suggest looking across the street to the north at the Kerr Hardware Store. It closed the year I was born, 1961. The story I read was that Mr Kerr decided to close the store than to be forced to charge his customers sales tax. What you see will amaze you. Appliances, bikes, tools, fishing tackle, you name it, all covered in dust just sitting as it was left in 1961. I wish I knew more of the story as I sure its an interesting one.
Nothing shows up in a quick search of Google. Sounds like it would make a great human interest story if someone would take the time to get the background on it.

Nothing shows up in a quick search of Google. Sounds like it would make a great human interest story if someone would take the time to get the background on it.

I was a freshman in high school in Dimmitt in 1961 and vaguely remember the closing, however you are right about the human interest story. Four Country Reporter has done at least one story on the store and I believe Texas Highways Magazine as well.

It is certainly a time warp to look in the window and nothing has change since it was closed. Last time I looked in you could hardly see because the front windows were so dusty. The legend is that no one has been in the building since it closed.

you can see it if you search Castro County Courthouse, TX in google maps , choose 'zoom here' and then look at the street view, I tried to copy the url, but it didn't work. Walk down Bedford street and cross the street, it's on your left. Here's the image

kerrhardware.jpg

Ok, here's a cool little store that is open that makes wooden wagon wheel furniture. On the same block up the street from the old Hardware store.

Untitled.jpg

This is another screen shot from google maps 'street view.' It's tricky to get to street view, you have to zoom, zoom again in the dialog bubble, then click on the map on the little tear drop which indicates the courthouse. Try it.

Back