• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cemetery shots for C&C

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Unfortunately, my Lightroom PC is back in Plano, so PP was limited to Picassa. New Perth Cemetery

Revolutionary War grave
RevWar1.jpg

Rebel grave
reb1.jpg

grave3.jpg

NewPerthCemeteryNC

My opinion, #3 is best. The other 2 though ok exposure wise just seem plain or missing something compositionally.

In # 3 the Flag stands out and the depth of field works.

I agree with Sharkey on #3 on the original post.

Johnny's touched up photo is great and I like it better than #3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 and #2 aren't doing much for me.... Comp-wise, I see the flag, but I'm drawn away - up the hill and gone.

But #3 keeps my attention. I think it's a tossup between the shallow DOF and crispness of the US Flag that works (for me at least) combined with the trees that provide a more 'solid' background instead of broken up in the first two examples.

Picasa is all I know and use. Free too ;-) Love the graveyard pics. Seems like I've done more than my share due to helping kin folk out with their Genealogy Files. Sigh!

very nice, Johnny. Thanks :thumb:

I'm no uber expert, and I'm not sure I'd ever want to be considered one. Let me tell you in very simple terms what my theory & method for a shot is.

I determine what really captures the essence of the scene, the thing that tells the story. What is it in the scene that invoked enough of a response in you to stop and want to shoot a scene. THAT is your subject. THAT is your focal point.

Then I think about a way to capture the subject in an interesting or unexpected way.

Then I take several shots using the ideas above. I often find that I like secondary ideas better than my primary ones.

Probably the best (recent) example of me exercising this theory is in my 'car show' album. I love cars and everything about them, but I gave myself a challenge to only shoot the 'essence' of the car design, the indiividual elements that made those cars more than just people transporters; the thing that evoked an emotion in people and set those cars apart from their peers and made them unique. Sometimes it was just a single detail, other times it was a whole car but in a way that presented the idea of the car as a whole (specifically the rat rod).

PLAY with your camera. You will be happy you did.

Back