• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Central Market Cafe - Austin, TX

Reaction score
What: Central Market Cafe

I eat at the Central Market Cafe every time a ride through Austin. I've been eating there for many years. Not ONCE have I ever been dissatisfied with the food or service. Everything is always excellent and the prices are quite reasonable.

Highlights:

Casual cafe, self-service free drink refills, pleasant outdoor deck or air-conditioned indoor tables. Live music on the patio on weekends.

Many interesting types of food. Many interesting types of tea, both hot and cold. Fast service.

Prices are very reasonable, especially for Austin.

Motorcycles can park right at the front door.

Open 7 days a week, 7am to 10 pm

The cafe is attached to the Central Market grocery store where you can pick up supplies for your ride. Huge selection of trail mixes and imported beer. Lots of interesting hippie medicines and exotic fruits.

Where: 4001 North Lamar in Austin, TX

map_north_lamar.gif

From IH-35:
Exit 38th St. Go west on 38th St. past Guadalupe to the stop light at Lamar. Turn right onto Lamar Blvd. Go one block to the stoplight at 40th St. and turn right into Central Park. The store is directly ahead.

From Mopac:
Exit 35th St. Go east on 35th St. and stay left on 35th St. cutoff where 35th St. becomes 38th. Go east on 38th St. to the traffic light at Lamar Blvd. Turn left (north) onto Lamar. Go to the stoplight at 40th St. and turn right into Central Park.

I encourage everyone to give this cafe a try and check out the grocery store.

I haven't been to the one up north, but there is another location at the intersection of 290/71-Ben White/Lamar/Westgate.

4477 South Lamar in the Westgate Shopping Center.

Say hello to my wife Rhonda at the north location. She works on the administrative side, but frequently eats in the cafe or wanders through the store. She is the woman with short red hair and and East Texas accent. :-D

UPDATE: June 2005

I can no longer recommend Central Market. I was there last week. They have raised their prices substantially.

Previously they served high-quality food at a very reasonable price. That was unusual.

Now, they still serve high-quality food, but considering the prices they now demand ( $6.99 for a turkey sandwich ), the same level of quality can easily be had anywhere else.

They are no longer special.

Back